Player Discussion David Quinn: Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
The fact that the team refused to play the way that Quinn was exhorting them to in these two games is definitely a mark against him. A coach losing a team is more of a long-term phenomenon that I haven't seen yet, but these are the kinds of games that, when added to a larger fabric, would indicate that. Same last week with the previous Islanders game. What's worse is that, against everyone else, the team had shown strides in playing that way. There isn't enough time left in the season to see for sure if this is a larger issue or a blip. You need about a month of it.

Exit interviews may paint a picture for Gorton and JD. Let's not forget that Tortorella was fired after a somewhat successful, but still disappointing year because the exit interviews with the players were so bad.

These two games were a bad look on everybody, and I wouldn't be surprised if it cemented a decision Gorton and JD might have been on the fence about regarding roster personnel.

Yup, while coaching is one of them, there are multiple factors that contributed to the lackluster performance in these two games, of the main ones is the inexperience of this roster as a whole. It’s a cliche but it’s there for a reason when they say you have to lose before you learn how to win. These Rangers generally didn’t have issues against not only dregs of the league but also some of the better teams. IMO losing to Isles rather indicative how the roster is not yet ready to properly play to compete against specific styles.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
My opinion hasn't really changed after these last two games.

Very young, plagued by injuries, coming down from the rush of a playoff push, and we get stomped by an incredibly well-structured team that plays playoff hockey.

I'm not sure what is different now than it was three days ago.

I'm not a big fan of Quinn, but his legacy is going to be tied to our prospects' development, not whether he can outcoach Barry Trotz with a worse roster. At least the kids got playing time; hasn't that been the biggest point of contention all season?

VERY arguable. His roster is good for his system but it's nothing special. At some point a coach needs to be more than just a development guy. Maybe two years ago or even last year but this team has a playoff caliber roster and Quinn gets his ass handed to him by every good coach his team plays against. We're not Buffalo, why do we have such low standards for him? For some reason his personality has bewitched some people and he's the only coach since I've been watching that's graded on a curve that a peewee coach wouldn't be graded on. This is the NHL, enough.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I posted this in the other Quinn thread:

The curve that Quinn is judged by is embarrassingly high. I don't remember any other coach given this much benefit of the doubt. This may be stupid but he's a good looking charming guy that has a likable personality. Makes me wonder how much leeway he'd get if he looked like Trotz and had the personality of Torts. I'm so sick of hearing how terrible our roster is. The 2013-2014 team was better than this one but I count at least three skaters that were better than anyone on that team and add two guys that are more productive than anyone on that team in Strome and Buchnevich. Although the league is higher scoring now.

Edit: The comparison of skaters is with skaters only.

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Who the hell is bringing looks and personality into it? It's not like we are dealing with boosters here.

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Literally only reason he has so many supporters. Haven't done one positive thing for this franchise. It's human nature to support someone you like or give them more leeway.
Patently false. You make it seem like he schmoozes us and is our golfing buddy. He has supporters because he's a good coach and he's improving as a coach. He has detractors because fans are irrational and irresponsible.

Reactions: kovazub94

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
He hasn't done one thing for this franchise. The best thing he's done is stay out of the way of guys like Panarin and Zibanejad, which to be fair is something because there might be coaches that would be less flexible. I'll give him credit for that. Otherwise, some of the most talented players in the league will be sitting home come playoff time and he hasn't even been that great developing anyone. The standard for him is obscenely low. AV and Torts didn't get anywhere close to the leeway he gets. They were in some ways victims of their own success by actually doing something they raised the bar on themselves. Quinn hasn't done anything so the standards for him are be a nice guy or something.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

If his teams actually did something, anything at any point, this season would be viewed as a disaster because people would compare this season to those seasons. Renney, Torts, and AV were all victims of having some success in their careers with the Rangers. But because he hasn't done one thing other than fall ass backwards into bubble hockey that 2/3 of the league participated in and then proceeded to embarrass themselves worse than any other team, this season looks like an improvement. So people think he's actually doing something good. This is akin to the C student getting a B- this year.

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
He's Tom Crean in like 2001 but with more upside. Just give a little more time. Next year should be a fun year and then he will be going into the last year on his deal and it is imperative on JD and JG to give him the extension he's earned.

DuneGoon84

Jun 21, 2019
If his teams actually did something, anything at any point, this season would be viewed as a disaster because people would compare this season to those seasons. Renney, Torts, and AV were all victims of having some success in their careers with the Rangers. But because he hasn't done one thing other than fall ass backwards into bubble hockey that 2/3 of the league participated in and then proceeded to embarrass themselves worse than any other team, this season looks like an improvement. So people think he's actually doing something good. This is akin to the C student getting a B- this year.
I share the same sentiments. This coach is a clown. Those previous coaches all were successful here at one point. This guy seems to just be getting by on the backs of our star players, namely Panarin. When he gets shut down, the team collapses hard. Isnt that when you need to rely on structure?

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
VERY arguable. His roster is good for his system but it's nothing special. At some point a coach needs to be more than just a development guy. Maybe two years ago or even last year but this team has a playoff caliber roster and Quinn gets his ass handed to him by every good coach his team plays against. We're not Buffalo, why do we have such low standards for him? For some reason his personality has bewitched some people and he's the only coach since I've been watching that's graded on a curve that a peewee coach wouldn't be graded on. This is the NHL, enough.

Our lineup last night had like 7-9 rookies, depending on the standard you use. We were missing our only two physical defenseman and Kreider. The Islanders lineup is overachieving (thanks to Trotz), but they are flush with veterans who know what it takes to win when the games get tighter.

We are going to be better than them soon, but not until all of our kids have time to develop.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I have a feeling that another reason people love Quinn is it legitimizes their "Rangers suck" stance. If the Rangers suck then Quinn must be a good coach. The Rangers have depth issues but if the team had a Norris candidate, a Hart candidate, an arguably top 10 center, a top 10 goalie, and a couple of more almost PPG guys and no depth issues they'd be Tampa. This nonsense that a team has to be perfect to have playoffs as a realistic expectation is embarrassing.

Last edited:

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Our lineup last night had like 7-9 rookies, depending on the standard you use. We were missing our only two physical defenseman and Kreider. The Islanders lineup is overachieving (thanks to Trotz), but they are flush with veterans who know what it takes to win when the games get tighter.

We are going to be better than them soon, but not until all of our kids have time to develop.

Kreider hasn't done anything this year outside of a great short stretch and missing the physical D-men doesn't explain getting shutout. We didn't lose 6-4. Stop with the f***ing excuses. None of our coaches that actually had successful seasons got this many excuses. This is now 3 games of playoff style hockey where they played a good team that was desperate and got destroyed. A continuation of the bubble hockey of last year.

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
I mean with the retained money from the trade deadline the Isles have what, like 90 mil in their lineup. We had around 40-45. Seems like that might be a contributor but what do I know. All the low majors that I scheduled had no excuse not to compete with us :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Kreider hasn't done anything this year outside of a great short stretch and missing the physical D-men doesn't explain getting shutout. We didn't lose 6-4. Stop with the f***ing excuses. None of our coaches that actually had successful seasons got this many excuses. This is now 3 games of playoff style hockey where they played a good team that was desperate and got destroyed. A continuation of the bubble hockey of last year.

Meh, whatever, I'm going to go enjoy my Sunday. Hopefully you guys all calm down before your blood pressure skyrockets! There's a very good chance that he starts next season here as well.*

And just for reference, I'm a solid 5/10 on Quinn. And I couldn't care less that he's attractive or being a martyr for all our Rangers sucks needs lol

*I'm keeping my fingers crossed on Brind'Amour.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
At some point you have to see what you have in Kakko and Lafreniere. Kravtsov, Gauthier too. Even Chytil.

I get the 'sheltering' aspect, and I understand why some are still optimistic about the players—especially Lafreniere who looks to be exactly the player he was billed as: impossible to 'ruin.'

But part of the build has to be getting these players into situations that you're counting on them to be long term fixtures in—or if not counting on, at least needing to know whether they can be long term fixtures there.

You have to let them make mistakes, let them bite off a bit more than they can chew. The gift of having such talented veterans on the team shouldn't be any longer that they do everything and the kids can learn to sit on the bench and watch NHL games up close. I can and should be a way to insulate and support them by letting the young kids play with those players who can take up some of the burden, cover mistakes, and help them learn the way to play in this league.

Just my opinion, but this is my only gripe with Quinn more or less. I don't hate the guy or think he's garbage; just as I don't think any coach off the street would do differently. But in that case, you need to pick your guy so that he too will buy into the long-term vision and needs of this franchise.

Nobody should've expected a better finish overall than where we're at, and I spent a lot of time before the season arguing with a few people about us being a lot closer to the Buffalos and NJs of the world than the Pittsburgh's and Boston's. Nobody wanted to hear it then... On the other hand, it's not just about winding up in the standings where our overall talent would likely place us: it's how we get here and how the individual parts are looking—especially the one's we expect to be here for long.

Like, maybe Kaapo Kakko isn't that good and won't ever be. On the other hand, he went from the worst defensive forward in the league to being better than Jesper Fast in one offseason as a teenager (by common metrics). The kid clearly has talent and drive. I give Quinn credit for this—I also don't see Kakko's improvement earning him much of anything....

Reactions: GoAwayPanarin

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
These two games were a bad look on everybody, and I wouldn't be surprised if it cemented a decision Gorton and JD might have been on the fence about regarding roster personnel.
That, IMO, is a 100% certainty. Gorton and JD are pretty clear eyed, I believe.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I posted this in the other Quinn thread:

The curve that Quinn is judged by is embarrassingly high. I don't remember any other coach given this much benefit of the doubt. This may be stupid but he's a good looking charming guy that has a likable personality. Makes me wonder how much leeway he'd get if he looked like Trotz and had the personality of Torts. I'm so sick of hearing how terrible our roster is. The 2013-2014 team was better than this one but I count at least three skaters that were better than anyone on that team and add two guys that are more productive than anyone on that team in Strome and Buchnevich. Although the league is higher scoring now.

Edit: The comparison of skaters is with skaters only.
Can just a single one of your posts NOT somehow mention or take shots at Quinn? Good Lord. Talk about a tiring act. Holy shit!
He hasn't done one thing for this franchise. The best thing he's done is stay out of the way of guys like Panarin and Zibanejad, which to be fair is something because there might be coaches that would be less flexible. I'll give him credit for that. Otherwise, some of the most talented players in the league will be sitting home come playoff time and he hasn't even been that great developing anyone. The standard for him is obscenely low. AV and Torts didn't get anywhere close to the leeway he gets. They were in some ways victims of their own success by actually doing something they raised the bar on themselves. Quinn hasn't done anything so the standards for him are be a nice guy or something.
You are actually managing to degrade with each new post. Not sure if it is a new brand of coffee or switching up the booze from beer to something harder. Wow.
Kreider hasn't done anything this year outside of a great short stretch and missing the physical D-men doesn't explain getting shutout.
Pop quizz. Where does Krieder rank in the NHL in goals? I wonder how many players would kill to have done equally as nothing?

Last edited:

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

Question - who has actually said that they love Quinn?

I’m genuinely curious because you keep throwing that out there and I’m really struggling to find anyone who said it.

So if you could help me out, I’d greatly appreciate it.

Reactions: mrmovies779

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Question - who has actually said that they love Quinn?

I’m genuinely curious because you keep throwing that out there and I’m really struggling to find anyone who said it.

So if you could help me out, I’d greatly appreciate it.

If people are lukewarm on Quinn but spend 90% of their posts responding to his critics and patronizing them then I guess they're just trolls with nothing better to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad