Player Discussion David Quinn: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
To the bolded... most of the time, this is true. I think he might have slipped up on that with Andersson and Kravtsov, but at least in the Kravtsov case it could be rectified.

The thing that's really important about "if player does X,Y,Z he will play" is that Quinn doesn't write off players who don't do those things. He gets with them in practice and on the bench and works with them to improve those areas.

I believe there were other extenuating circumstances in that case.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I think there were too, but I also think that Quinn may not have done a great job with Andersson's last re-assignment to Hartford.
I honestly don't care about the whole lias thing. I get there might have been issues with the player and blah blah blah.

But I'll just put it like this. The kid is not an nhl player. I never thought he had more than 3rd line ceiling (that's just me). So all the energy wasted on this kid could and should have been better suited for players who actually have an nhl future.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
Kevin Rooney plays less than 10 minutes a night, usually with the teams most offensively challenged forwards, and still finds a way to make an impact. This nonsense that a player should be force fed minutes and linemates is ridiculous. Doesn't matter where you were drafted, earn it and you'll get minutes.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I honestly don't care about the whole lias thing. I get there might have been issues with the player and blah blah blah.

But I'll just put it like this. The kid is not an nhl player. I never thought he had more than 3rd line ceiling (that's just me). So all the energy wasted on this kid could and should have been better suited for players who actually have an nhl future.

I really mainly brought it up to say that this coach hasn't been perfect with every player and to essentially make the point that it's forgivable.

Quinnisinoverhishead

Oct 4, 2014
The time thing is a complete falsehood. Look at how much time they were getting relative to their piers. And as Chytil got better, he got more ice time. And as Kakko showed last night, if he plays the way that he was, he is going to get more time. This is not a miracle. Same happened with Lindgren. Same happened with Fox.

I really would love to know how Kreider and Trouba are teachers pets. What, do you believe, needs to happen with those two? And Strome? Great time for a post like this. But forgetting that, who do you believe right now should be centering Panarin?

Sorry, who is their peers? Do you know who kakos peer is? It's Jack Hughes, who is averaging over 5:00min/game more and getting 3 additional minutes per game on the powerplay. Stop comparing Kakko to inferior players....

If you don't see the determination and skill in Kakko, you are blind. Anyways, yesterday just proved my point. 14:00 minutes of ice time and records a point. Get Kreider off that powerplay and put kakko on it..

Now that Chytil is injured, Strome is our only option....

A great reporter asked Quinn about why he took Kakko off that line in the first place. And his response was, 'I don't remember'. Quinn is out of his league right now.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I've been very impressed with how Quinn is handling the development of the younger players so far.
It's been his strength/bright spot from the beginning.

IF, major IF, they develop into complete players, it would be worth the pain.... but it would be nice though to see Kakko and Laf tear it up once in a while, instead of getting excited when Kakko banks the puck up the ice for a secondary assist :laugh:

Reactions: Chytilmania

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Reminder that Quinn would have started Geo yesterday had he not punched DeAngelo in the face.

The good efforts would have gone to waste as they would have lost.
Hypothetical time. IF Georgiev started, and he looked pedestrian; and we lost. Who's fault is it?

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Sorry, who is their peers? Do you know who kakos peer is? It's Jack Hughes, who is averaging over 5:00min/game more and getting 3 additional minutes per game on the powerplay. Stop comparing Kakko to inferior players....
The people that they got drafted with, the people in the league that are similarly aged. Lafreniere is averaging the 5th most time among rookies. What exactly are you looking for?

Hughes is a different case as there is no one really there for him to compete with. Who is he fighting with for center play? Plus, when you consider that 3 of his 8 points came in one game against the Rangers, are his 5 points really that much better than Kakko's 3?
If you don't see the determination and skill in Kakko, you are blind. Anyways, yesterday just proved my point. 14:00 minutes of ice time and records a point. Get Kreider off that powerplay and put kakko on it..
As soon as you find where I allude to anything that you claim regarding Kakko, please alert me.

Krieder is THE BEST net front presence in the entire league on the PP. Why would Quinn get rid of him? When was the last time you saw Kakko play that role?

Kakko will get his time and his chances as his play continues to improve and he gets more confidence.
Exactly. Then why bring it up? At the time that Chytil got hurt, Strome's play was awful and a change might have well been on the way. But now he is not coming back until the end of February. So where is Strome the "pet"?
A great reporter asked Quinn about why he took Kakko off that line in the first place. And his response was, 'I don't remember'. Quinn is out of his league right now.
Yeah, I admit that was a pretty stupid response. But that hardly qualifies to say that he is out of his league. As I recall, AV "lost" his best defensive pair on the bench. Is he out of his league as well?

Out of his league......yeah, for some reference and a bit of a reality check here, the anit-Quinn brigade constantly harps that God's gift to coaching is Trotz. The coaching North Star. Consider that since last season started, the veteran Islanders, coached by this coaching messiah, to date have exactly one less point than Quinn's youngest team in the entire NHL for 2 years running. Yeah, out of his league.

And please do not bring up the Bubble to try to counter this point. Two different scenarios.

ONE point. Since the start of the prior season, Quinn's Rangers are a point ahead of mighty Trotz's Islanders.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ghost of jas

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
IF, major IF, they develop into complete players, it would be worth the pain.... but it would be nice though to see Kakko and Laf tear it up once in a while, instead of getting excited when Kakko banks the puck up the ice for a secondary assist :laugh:
At last check, a point is a point. Or are we discounting them now? Is this becoming another "Empty net goals do not count" argument?

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Honestly yes. The empty goal thing is tongue and cheek, though it happened (not saying with you). But yes. Did I read into it incorrectly?
I'm not disparaging a secondary assist... It's exactly as I said. It'd be nice to have Kakko and Laf tear it up once in a while, instead of getting excited for a secondary assist.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet

To be honest, he's not showing consistent skill yet but we know he has it from that 5 game playoffs. And he moves with purpose, he's going to be very good... smart the way he's building from the basics. Lafreniere also but you can see the otherworldly instincts... just no results YET.

Quinnisinoverhishead

Oct 4, 2014
The people that they got drafted with, the people in the league that are similarly aged. Lafreniere is averaging the 5th most time among rookies. What exactly are you looking for?

Hughes is a different case as there is no one really there for him to compete with. Who is he fighting with for center play? Plus, when you consider that 3 of his 8 points came in one game against the Rangers, are his 5 points really that much better than Kakko's 3?

As soon as you find where I allude to anything that you claim regarding Kakko, please alert me.

Krieder is THE BEST net front presence in the entire league on the PP. Why would Quinn get rid of him? When was the last time you saw Kakko play that role?

Kakko will get his time and his chances as his play continues to improve and he gets more confidence.

Exactly. Then why bring it up? At the time that Chytil got hurt, Strome's play was awful and a change might have well been on the way. But now he is not coming back until the end of February. So where is Strome the "pet"?

Yeah, I admit that was a pretty stupid response. But that hardly qualifies to say that he is out of his league. As I recall, AV "lost" his best defensive pair on the bench. Is he out of his league as well?

Out of his league......yeah, for some reference and a bit of a reality check here, the anit-Quinn brigade constantly harps that God's gift to coaching is Trotz. The coaching North Star. Consider that since last season started, the veteran Islanders, coached by this coaching messiah, to date have exactly one less point than Quinn's youngest team in the entire NHL for 2 years running. Yeah, out of his league.

And please do not bring up the Bubble to try to counter this point. Two different scenarios.

ONE point. Since the start of the prior season, Quinn's Rangers are a point ahead of mighty Trotz's Islanders.
I don’t even know what you are arguing anymore? Lol
You just said Hughes is 8 points are nothing. If Kakko had 8 points we’d be first in the NHL.

I don’t know what you are arguing on the strome front either. I said chytil should be playing with Panarin. At this point there are no other options. Everyone saw chytil dominating from day one. Even when he got injured strome was ahead of him on the depth chart.

Continuing to laugh at your post.. you are comparing what Trotz is doing with that laughable roster, to what Quinn is doing with his much superior roster. I can’t believe you even brought that up. Our team on talent and total quality is far superior to NYI. Anyone that doesn’t comprehend that, does not understand hockey.
Get off of the kreider hype.... he is what he is. He’s a complimentary player. He can’t drive a line. In terms of net front presence. It’s not a skill to stand in front of the net. Much rather have kakko there, with those silky hands.
Another thing... what happened to rotating goalies. A man should stick to his word. But this coach has no clue what he’s doing. He should know that the only way to keep his job, is to hope shesterkin bails him out.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

Stop comparing Hughes to inferior players.

Not to mention...have you seen the group of forwards the Devils have? :laugh:

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Stop comparing Hughes to inferior players.

Not to mention...have you seen the group of forwards the Devils have? :laugh:

It doesn’t matter how many times you point out that Hughes is only in that position because Hischier is out of the lineup. Their other centers are a mixed bag Pavel Zacha, Zajac, Sharangovich, and Michael McLeod.

I mean give me a f***ing break trying to compare the two and their role to start this year :laugh:

Reactions: Ghost of jas

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Let's not forget Buch either. A lot of the attention is on the younger kids, but Buch at 25 is coming into his own. How much of that is credited to Quinn?

How about 0%
Buch just turned into the player he was supposed to be..
You want to equate DQ lighting a fire under his ass then fine but other than that..0

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
How about 0%
Buch just turned into the player he was supposed to be..
You want to equate DQ lighting a fire under his ass then fine but other than that..0

LOL

Then we should assume Kakko and Laf will do the same under DQ?

Its just as easy to say that Quinn is killing someone than it is to say that he is partially responsible for their development. That’s the point.

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
Buch never got yanked up and down the line up from what I remember. So far the only guy to respond to that has been Chytil and even Brendan Smith lol.
Fox, Lindgren and Miller have all done well and were trusted from the get go. Is it because they are American? NCAA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad