Player Discussion David Quinn: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Ill say what I've said since halfway through last season... You can nitpick Quinn here and there but by and large I agree with just about everything he does and says. He's a good coach. When we suck he's a good coach and when we are scorching hot he's a good coach.

A coach is, generally, only as good as his players and especially his goaltending, but I feel like he's setting up the right culture and backbone for what this team wants to, and needs to be.
I agree with this too. The coach's job is simply to get the best out of his team and make the right roster decisions. I do think we're seeing that on a consistent basis.

Reactions: haveandare

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
What's our record since Howden got moved down to the 4th line?
Also the emergence of Fox and Lindgren has really helped out.
Multiple factors. And I would say Quinn ultimately decides if Shesterkin is in net so you have to give him credit for that too. How many coaches would bench Hank?
Quinn deserves credit for promoting Georgiev and Shesterkin. He stayed his hand as long as he could have with a sensitive and historic situation. Same thing with Staal -- who had never been a healthy scratch in his life. Hajek played himself out of the spot. It's easy for us to make decisions from our chairs. Try going up to a 15-year legend, as a sophomore coach, and breaking it to him face to face.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Quinn has done a marvelous job since he got here, this team has finally bought what he is selling and his in game adjustments are working, I thought we blew it when we let Sullivan go but Quinn reminds me a lot of him, happy we put our faith in him.

Reactions: BroadwayBlues

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
Quinn has done a marvelous job since he got here, this team has finally bought what he is selling and his in game adjustments are working, I thought we blew it when we let Sullivan go but Quinn reminds me a lot of him, happy we put our faith in him.
His game adjustments werent his decision. he was forced into them after injuries. And then left them alone since they worked out better then what he thought should have been the starting line up. You are litterally giving him credit for things he fought against.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
Quinn deserves credit for promoting Georgiev and Shesterkin. He stayed his hand as long as he could have with a sensitive and historic situation. Same thing with Staal -- who had never been a healthy scratch in his life. Hajek played himself out of the spot. It's easy for us to make decisions from our chairs. Try going up to a 15-year legend, as a sophomore coach, and breaking it to him face to face.

That's probably the toughest part of the job for him so far. And I think he's navigated the situation the best way he can.

Reactions: will1066

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
They changed to a zone once Quinn was hired?

They just chased like idiots because they're still young and they have avs system to work outta their brains.

No they played man. It looks like there was was shift mid year. I'm just trying to see when.

You see 5 in the picture now and earlier in the year they all chased.

Reactions: Off Sides

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
His game adjustments werent his decision. he was forced into them after injuries. And then left them alone since they worked out better then what he thought should have been the starting line up. You are litterally giving him credit for things he fought against.
Such as what?

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Did these guys switch to zone after the break?

Would like to hear your thoughts, I'm noticing a big change in how the Rangers pressure in the neutral zone, and defend in the d-zone. They are standing up at the red line and breaking up plays, and doing a very good job of that, but in the d-zone, I see a lot less chasing around and switching.

Which begs the question: Did they switch up schemes?

They've tightened things up a bit since the break but they've been playing a dyslexic version of zone all along.
Only DQ's version invites the worst kind of trouble.

It's rope a dope all the way.
Only DQ is the only dope..

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
Very happy how when we needed some life he shook up the lines and put Zib and Panarin together. Great call that sparked 4 goals.
Even when this team hasn't played well they have gutted out some wins in the 3rd. They have come a long way.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Very happy how when we needed some life he shook up the lines and put Zib and Panarin together. Great call that sparked 4 goals.
Even when this team hasn't played well they have gutted out some wins in the 3rd. They have come a long way.

He's been running them into the ground all season all while failing to utilize a bottom 6.
If this were the playoffs, they'd get bounced.
I expect as much in the future as long as DQ is coach.

stan the caddy

Sep 27, 2011
The Rangers got hot after the break playing a relatively easy schedule and all of a sudden Quinn is Scotty Bowman....

This team should be a playoff team. They have a lot of talent.

stan the caddy

Sep 27, 2011
Yes it is. You just chose not to listen when told that in the summer and continued to believe your theory

Good chance they still squeak out an 8th seed. You don't actually have to be that good to get in. I see you have the bar set very low for coach.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Good chance they still squeak out an 8th seed. You don't actually have to be that good to get in. I see you have the bar set very low for coach.
The coach had absolutely nothing to do with it. The roster personnel did.

Wait, wait. Don’t we know you under a different guise? Same argument, different guise.....

Row I Goon

Nov 14, 2018
So much philosophizing and arm-chair wankery.

Ask yourself if you thought we’d be a GENUINE chance at a playoff spot back at the start of this season with the league’s youngest roster.

If you’ve answered “yes” I call b.s...

Reactions: Inferno

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Everyone would drool over hiring Mike Sullivan. The Penguins’ 5v5 TOI leader tonight was Jack f***ing Johnson. -15 shot differential.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Yes it is. You just chose not to listen when told that in the summer and continued to believe your theory

No team with Panarin was ever going to be a lottery team. I dont understand where that notion is coming from. He is too talented and dynamic on the ice. He was the catalyst in Columbus to get them into the post season. Some hockey analysts had the Rangers flirting with a playoff spot this year, which is what they're doing.

After signing Panarin, Trouba and drafting Kakko, bringing in Fox, etc the expectation was not to be in the hunt for the lottery pick.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
No team with Panarin was ever going to be a lottery team. I dont understand where that notion is coming from. He is too talented and dynamic on the ice. He was the catalyst in Columbus to get them into the post season. Some hockey analysts had the Rangers flirting with a playoff spot this year, which is what they're doing.

After signing Panarin, Trouba and drafting Kakko, bringing in Fox, etc the expectation was not to be in the hunt for the lottery pick.
He is great, but if a team with McDavid can be a lottery team, I assure you that at team with Panarin and the league's youngest roster could as well.

Analysts can say what they want, but there a very good amount of us that never believed that the playoffs were a possibility. That the are even this close is a case of overachieving.

Signing Panarin and Trouba, not having Hayes & Zucc, bringing in rookies does not equate to playoff contenders. Especially with what the defense has looked like for most of the year. I am not sure of whose expectations you are referring to, but most realists did not share them.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Not sure this has been mentioned but I've got to say after any game win or lose, Quinn press conferences might be the best I've even watched or listened too.

He is articulate, smart, candid and not afraid to call out a player who's loafing and at same time heap praise on a guy who played real well. Last night in presser after the Blues game, he thought the team played really well like all of us did but simply got beat by a fluke goal.

Quinn also mentioned Brendan Smith played a hell of a game and I recall I said that a few times on the game day thread and another peep or two. I wonder if Quinn reads the board here after games cause he regurgitates alot of the talking points in here on our board during a game...hmmm

I dunno for those of y'all anti-Quinn guys out there whose names will remain anonomys tho we all know who they are, I got a feeling Quinn might be here for the longterm and not just a stop gap until the kids grow up like as has been the narrative from a few of y'all....just sayin!

Anyways bottom line...me likey Quinn pressers alot more than 99% of the coaches in all of sports and not just hockey. And oh yeah...he's a pretty dang good hockey coach as well...how bout dem apples?

Anttiup32

Jan 29, 2018
This team has come a long way from September and they play really hard, both positives for Quinn’s. I hate the lines he makes though. He’s falling in love with DiGisseppe who is nothing more than a fringe AHLer. Staal gets a free pass for being terrible. Fast is not a top 6 guy. I feel like there’s just not enough creativity in their line making.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->