Player Discussion David Quinn: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I've had my fair share of complaints for him and his treatment of young players drives me crazy sometimes, but the teams improvement the last 2 months has been astronomical and obviously hes been a large part of that. Next year will be the big test for him. Please get rid of Ruff though

How much of that is goaltending?

When you have a goalie making 40+ save performance for wins.... is that due the coaches driving structural improvements? Players improving due to motivational reasons?

Or is it just an elite goalie stealing games? And another goalie playing lights out?

Reactions: duhmetreE

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Goaltending has actually been one of the weaker factors as of the last 25-30 games, and they've been winning games in other proven sustainable win methods.

As opposed to the past, where the Rangers go on a PDO-bender and ride high shooting % and amazing goaltending to wins

Here is a thread of what L25 for the Rangers has been (does not include tonight)

A lot of that coincides with coaching decisions Quinn has made in regards to personnel decisions (albeit some due to injuries).

The TL;DR is: Goaltending hasn't been the driving force for the Rangers success for the last 25-30 games.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Quinn’s playoff appearances-0
Quinn’s Stanley Cup appearances- 0
Quinn’s ability to compare favorably to hall of fame potential coaches -0
Scotty Bowman's very first year looked remarkably the same m Not comparing the two, just pointing out that trying to compare a first year's coaches record to Stanley Cup wins is ridiculously obtuse at best. And asinine at midpoint.
We can all quote stats here. Only in delusional HFboards do people actually favorably compare a failing NHL coach to a proven winner and somehow think that makes sense
Only delusional arm chair HF boards GMs can believe that their choice of a head coach would achieve any better results with this roster.

Reactions: R2theDizzlE

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
How much of that is goaltending?

When you have a goalie making 40+ save performance for wins.... is that due the coaches driving structural improvements? Players improving due to motivational reasons?

Or is it just an elite goalie stealing games? And another goalie playing lights out?

How many games have they given up 40 shots over the last 25? In how many of those games did they have a lead of 3 or more?

I can think of 4 that Igor has started. These parameters applied to ALL of them except one (LA, who throws everything at the net.)

Goaltending has been a factor, but its not the biggest one.

Reactions: R2theDizzlE

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
What's our record since Howden got moved down to the 4th line?
Also the emergence of Fox and Lindgren has really helped out.
Multiple factors. And I would say Quinn ultimately decides if Shesterkin is in net so you have to give him credit for that too. How many coaches would bench Hank?

Reactions: will1066

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Ill say what I've said since halfway through last season... You can nitpick Quinn here and there but by and large I agree with just about everything he does and says. He's a good coach. When we suck he's a good coach and when we are scorching hot he's a good coach.

A coach is, generally, only as good as his players and especially his goaltending, but I feel like he's setting up the right culture and backbone for what this team wants to, and needs to be.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Ill say what I've said since halfway through last season... You can nitpick Quinn here and there but by and large I agree with just about everything he does and says. He's a good coach. When we suck he's a good coach and when we are scorching hot he's a good coach.

A coach is, generally, only as good as his players and especially his goaltending, but I feel like he's setting up the right culture and backbone for what this team wants to, and needs to be.

The coach is the low hanging fruit when things arent going smoothly. I'm happy with what he and Gorton have done so far, pretty excited to see how tomorrow goes.

Captain Monglobster

Nov 9, 2005
I cant believe this guy. He has 'his guys' that he gives top minutes meanwhile there are 5 teenagers in hartford ready for top six minutes.....oh wait its not december anymore?

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I cant believe this guy. He has 'his guys' that he gives top minutes meanwhile there are 5 teenagers in hartford ready for top six minutes.....oh wait its not december anymore?
I am not sure of this current complaint. What teenagers in Hartford are ready for top 6 minutes?

Is this complaint actually for real?

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I'd say Sullivan will get a lot of votes...as should torts even if they fall out. Quinn won't win it but he should get at least some consideration. Youngest team in the league and all that

Reactions: RangersFan1994

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
How about a shout out to the other coach in this organization Kris Knoblauch. PDG has come in here and really helped transform the bottom 6. When was the last time someone from Hartford has such a positive influence up front especially in such a a critical stretch?

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
So....do u guys agree with micheletti? If the rangers make the playoffs should he be coach of the year?

I think he will certainly get a few votes.
If he manages to make the playoffs, he should easily be coach of the year.

For all of the talk of how a more experienced coach would have had them in a better position, I continue to disagree. Quinn guided the youngest roster in the league through some hard times. And you can see the progress of the players and the growth of a team.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
On a less positive note, Quinn really galaxy brained the line combos with out Buchnevich.

I mean credit to him for stacking the lines late in the game when they needed to score, but that was really an instance where he put out a fire that he shouldn't have started in the first place.

I think Quinn and Panarin should both be serious contenders for the Jack Adams and Hart if they can squeeze in. This team is a blast to watch right now

If they get in and Panarin doesn't win the Hart they should really stop giving out the award.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Did these guys switch to zone after the break?

Would like to hear your thoughts, I'm noticing a big change in how the Rangers pressure in the neutral zone, and defend in the d-zone. They are standing up at the red line and breaking up plays, and doing a very good job of that, but in the d-zone, I see a lot less chasing around and switching.

Which begs the question: Did they switch up schemes?

Reactions: Off Sides

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
On a less positive note, Quinn really galaxy brained the line combos with out Buchnevich.

I mean credit to him for stacking the lines late in the game when they needed to score, but that was really an instance where he put out a fire that he shouldn't have started in the first place.

If they get in and Panarin doesn't win the Hart they should really stop giving out the award.
If they get in and the oilers get in
..and draisaitl has double digits more.points than panarin.......

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Did these guys switch to zone after the break?

Would like to hear your thoughts, I'm noticing a big change in how the Rangers pressure in the neutral zone, and defend in the d-zone. They are standing up at the red line and breaking up plays, and doing a very good job of that, but in the d-zone, I see a lot less chasing around and switching.

Which begs the question: Did they switch up schemes?
They changed to a zone once Quinn was hired?

They just chased like idiots because they're still young and they have avs system to work outta their brains.

Reactions: Off Sides

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
So... I'm not going to engage with the AV or Torts discussions other than to say that both coaches were the right coaches at the time they were hired. Both were also fired at the right time. No coach in this league is perfect. And not every coach is going to gel with every front office or player roster.

I just want to say, I think Quinn has also been doing a marvelous job over the past two months to get his team to trust in each other and find ways to win, even if they aren't pretty. Since the holiday break, the team has felt very different. And then after the All Star break, the team felt much improved yet again. It's like you can see the three distinct phases of the team and how they improved during each subsequent stretch after the two breaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad