Confirmed with Link: David Quinn - New Rangers Coach (Officially official on 5/23)

How does your feels-o-meter rate this signing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Quinn sounds like a great guy. Will be in Sweden now to meet with Hank and the other Swedes + Zucc. I'm sure it will be very much appreciated.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
What has he showed between NYR and Dallas that says he should coach the defense? I could have coached last year's team and they would have sucked and then we could have used the same excuse about poor players on D.

He’s got nearly 600 wins as a head coach and a .550 winning percentage over 19 years. I don’t think he’s competence can really be questioned.

By the way, “coached the defense” doesn’t mean what you think it does.

Reactions: TheTakedown

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I don't think I'd want to see the Rangers hire a rookie coach and then stick a very long term vet on the bench with him....feels way too much like they'd be trying to babysit him and way too easy for conflict to arise. If Ruff is sticking around I hope he's more of a background/up in the booth capacity.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I don't think I'd want to see the Rangers hire a rookie coach and then stick a very long term vet on the bench with him....feels way too much like they'd be trying to babysit him and way too easy for conflict to arise. If Ruff is sticking around I hope he's more of a background/up in the booth capacity.

On the other hand, having someone with a lot of experience around day to day is an invaluable resource for a rookie coach.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
He’s got nearly 600 wins as a head coach and a .550 winning percentage over 19 years. I don’t think he’s competence can really be questioned.

AV has 648 wins and a .532 Win% over 16 years.

See? I can post things that have no direct correlation to coaching competence too.

Ruff's coaching experience can most certainly be questioned.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

Man you'd think I dissed a family member or something. Why is the sassy reply necessary?

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
There's no harm in having someone with experience like Ruff on Quinn's staff. I imagine it's a whole different world in the NHL vs college. He's going to need someone to lean on.

If he fails, it won't be because Ruff stayed on the staff as a holdover from AV.

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
I have so much respect for AV and loved his tenure here - but I am very happy he is gone. The vanilla shit was too much, and got old after that Ottawa series - that was it for me.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Dallas defense was a disaster under ruff and it certainly is not better here. Would be dissapointed if he's back behind the bench next season as an asistant.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Only 10 coaches with 10 years in the NHL (for sample size) have a higher winning percentage than AV.
I was commenting that you were about to start a holy war because while I felt it was AV's time to go I am aware that he wasn't bad coach, but there is good amount of folks on here who would disagree, vehemently lol

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
AV might have his flaws, but he's a good coach. There's no way a coach reaches cup finals, wins PTs with different teams by just being lucky.
Yes, this is true. The same can be said for Tortorella, who I hated and thought was coaching like a moron when he was fired. Still a good coach. Certainly competent.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
AV might have his flaws, but he's a good coach. There's no way a coach reaches cup finals, wins PTs with different teams by just being lucky.
Say it with me now.... The 2 beat goalies of this generation.

Keep a
Saying it again and again.

Go look at the rosters Henrik has dragged kicking and screaming to the playoffs.

Reactions: TheTakedown
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->