Confirmed with Link: David Quinn - New Rangers Coach (Officially official on 5/23)

How does your feels-o-meter rate this signing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Quinn must get someone that can hold his hand, so Sacco seems likely.

I also saw a rumor that Gorton was considering hiring Dave’s mom as an assistant, Greta Quinn, who apparently is in great vigor for a 78 y/o. Dave is just so much more relaxed and confident when she is around.

Is this a joke? I really hope so :laugh:

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Its supposedly very important that Quinn can get someone that he has worked with before and is comfortable with. Dave must be a very shy person. Someone must hold his hand. Who cares about anything else.

Most coaches hire assistants they’re familiar with and have worked with before.

Reactions: haveandare

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Most coaches hire assistants they’re familiar with and have worked with before.

There is a difference if Babcock does it or a rookie college coach does it. Most coaches also has a lot bigger network than Quinn.

Why is it so important to find someone that Quinn is familiar with? I wouldn’t care one bit about it if I was in that situation. Paid millions of USDs, be a pro and make it work with whomever is the best for job. Jesus.

The next Apple CEO should request to get a CFO he has worked with before, send a list of his pals from college to the chairman so that they know who they might select...

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Its supposedly very important that Quinn can get someone that he has worked with before and is comfortable with. Dave must be a very shy person. Someone must hold his hand. Who cares about anything else.
I think you’re overreacting to that. He’s keeping Ruff around, and would it really be a bad thing if we brought in Sacco or Scott Gordon as the other assistant? You then have a mix of a new HC, prior NHL HC with either AHL experience or NHL AC experience, and then Ruff who has 19 years of NHL HC experience.

None of that matters to me as long as they can help develop our prospects and get them playing a more cohesive, structured game.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I think you’re overreacting to that. He’s keeping Ruff around, and would it really be a bad thing if we brought in Sacco or Scott Gordon as the other assistant? You then have a mix of a new HC, prior NHL HC with either AHL experience or NHL AC experience, and then Ruff who has 19 years of NHL HC experience.

None of that matters to me as long as they can help develop our prospects and get them playing a more cohesive, structured game.

It’s a very demanding job. Family situation. Energy. Know how. Character, you want the right mix behind the bench. Someone that can light the players up, someone to keep them in shack.

You are tying up your GMs hands quite much if you like only can muster 3-4 candidates that you have worked with before. Slats/Gorts didn’t let AV select his own assistants.

I also think it’s difference if you have a group of guys coming from the same background with the same ideas that you are intending to implement like with say Renney/Pelino.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
It’s a very demanding job. Family situation. Energy. Know how. Character, you want the right mix behind the bench. Someone that can light the players up, someone to keep them in shack.

You are tying up your GMs hands quite much if you like only can muster 3-4 candidates that you have worked with before. Slats/Gorts didn’t let AV select his own assistants.

I also think it’s difference if you have a group of guys coming from the same background with the same ideas that you are intending to implement like with say Renney/Pelino.
Well I mean we have no clue who the other candidates are, so saying it’s limited to 3-4 guys isn’t true at this time. Also, sticking with Ruff goes against that narrative too, and it completes exactly what you mentioned at the end of your first paragraph.

So where’s the beef here? There’s nothing to judge until we see the on-ice product, IMO.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Well I mean we have no clue who the other candidates are, so saying it’s limited to 3-4 guys isn’t true at this time. Also, sticking with Ruff goes against that narrative too, and it completes exactly what you mentioned at the end of your first paragraph.

So where’s the beef here? There’s nothing to judge until we see the on-ice product, IMO.

I just got a little annoyed that Quinn asked to get one guy he was familiar with next to him behind the bench, no biggie, but...

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I just got a little annoyed that Quinn asked to get one guy he was familiar with next to him behind the bench, no biggie, but...

I see no reason to be annoyed with that. If anything, I'd take this as Quinn understanding his limitations, and wants someone that he is personally (not professionally) familiar with so that he has an extra set of eyes that he can trust, and vice versa

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
There is a difference if Babcock does it or a rookie college coach does it. Most coaches also has a lot bigger network than Quinn.

Why is it so important to find someone that Quinn is familiar with? I wouldn’t care one bit about it if I was in that situation. Paid millions of USDs, be a pro and make it work with whomever is the best for job. Jesus.

The next Apple CEO should request to get a CFO he has worked with before, send a list of his pals from college to the chairman so that they know who they might select...

The current Apple CEO was literally hand picked by the previous CEO who worked closely with him for years and was extremely familiar with him.

It's not at all odd to want to have people you know and trust work with you, not in sports, not in business, not anywhere.

Reactions: Krams and Bozle

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
When you get into a leadership position, the truly smart, effective guys looks to bring in other guys that know more than they do/are smarter than them/have more experience. This is like remedial stuff for effective CEOs, Presidents, entrepreneurs, etc. You surround yourself with people that are smarter or more knowledgeable because they push you to be better, bring different perspectives, and give you opportunities to learn from them. You create a team of excellence which in turn cascades down the organization creating organizational excellence. You put your ego aside and say, "Help me me better so we can all reach our maximum potential."

I hope Quinn hires the smartest f***ing guys he can find. It will only make him, and us, better off.

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
I'd just like to say that the coaching change is still what I'm most excited about. I like what I've seen of Quinn and like the choice for what this team needs. I don't know all his X's and O's yet, but as long as he simplifies the defensive scheme, as compared to last season, I feel like it's a fresh start for a lot of guys that have already established themselves.

Reactions: RoarLionRoar

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Quinn was on Sportsnet 590 The Fan today.

http://pmd.fan590.com/podcasts/hock...oach-David-Quinn-on-his-hockey-philosophy.mp3

~29:30 is the interview with Quinn.

He has met a few players already over lunch/dinner, and apparently plans to go to Sweden to meet/talk with Lundqvist. He again talked about how he wants to play a fast, puck possession game that hounds the opposing team to get the puck back, and is smart defensively.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Larry Brooks reported the Rangers will be announcing their coaching staff this weekend.

Looking at the BU 2018-19 coaching staff,Kathryn Yates is not there. She is most likely joining the Rangers staff as director of analytics on Quinn's staff.

GoTerriers.com | The Official Site of Boston University Athletics

Everyone left over from Quinn's staff including the new head coach are still with BU.

Old link of Yates profile

If you play with the drop down feature, she is not there either.

SnowFort

Mar 5, 2017
Larry Brooks reported the Rangers will be announcing their coaching staff this weekend.

Looking at the BU 2018-19 coaching staff,Kathryn Yates is not there. She is most likely joining the Rangers staff as director of analytics on Quinn's staff.

Everyone left over from Quinn's staff including the new head coach are still with BU.

Old link of Yates profile

If you play with the drop down feature, she is not there either.

That would be cool. Apparently she’s a fan of the Rangers too.

Kathryn Yates' cool sports job -- BU hockey director of analytics

I grew up outside of New York City in the town over from where the Rangers practice facility was, and so a lot of the Rangers, like the early '90s and the Cup team, lived in my town and went to the schools and everything. I grew up down the street from Jeff Beukeboom. He would, like, push me on the swing, and we'd play street hockey in his driveway, and that was the '94 Cup team. [Mike] Richter was there, [Brian] Leetch was there, it was kind of hard not to be a fan.

Reactions: TheTakedown
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->