Confirmed with Link: David Quinn - New Rangers Coach (Officially official on 5/23)

How does your feels-o-meter rate this signing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
But the second unit was basically a pea shooting unit. Zibanejad was launching rockets on the first unit while the second unit did next to nothing.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I don't know. Everyone is giving gallant a lot of praise
Yeah and guys like Sullivan have been lauded despite having good teams out there.

I don't know, I think it varies sports to sport the level of impact a coach/manager has on a team. Like, football coaches I think have a high level of impact on things since the games are so tactical and planned. Hockey coaches and soccer managers, I think have less of an impact on things but still definitely matter--the implementation of systems, in game adjustments and match ups, etc. And then baseball managers I think historically have had a lower level of importance, though I think that is rapidly changing.

I think good coaches are recognized accordingly. They're also sometimes blamed unfairly. Both sides of it can be over the top.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Former Senators’ coach Rick Bowness, who spent five years as an associate coach with the Tampa Bay Lightning, was let go by GM Steve Yzerman and coach Jon Cooper Thursday. Don’t expect Bowness, 63, to be out of work for a long. There will be many teams looking for help and the speculation here is the New York Rangers may reach out Bowness. They just hired Boston University coach David Quinn to replace Alain Vigneault, who was fired at the end of the season, and want somebody on their staff that has NHL experience and Bownesd has spent his lifetime in the game.

Hurricanes GM open to offers on No. 2 pick

The Rangers tried to hire Bowness a couple of years ago but he agreed to a contract extension in Tampa. He was on AV's staff in Vancouver.

Bowness has Bruins ties. He was their AHL coach and then head coach. Gordie Clark was part of the Bruins organization at that time. Jeff Gorton was starting in Boston when Bowness left.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Guy didn't even know there are 31 coaches. #fail

Asked about the difference from his time being seated, his first take is "the money". Interesting considering the arguments that's been going on here

Other than that a whole bunch of "meh.." besides his remark on speed and 4th lines

Before someone overreacts to this. “Seated” here is a typo. He was asked what the difference is since he was drafted in 1984. I think that’s somehow a simultaneously obvious and astute observation. What he’s saying is that now you’re dealing with rich people, which can take a potentially different approach.

It wasn’t a hard hitting interview. They asked him what his challenges are as a first time coach. He responded “same as any first time coach.” No one followed up asking him what he sees those same challenges are.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com

member 116805

Before someone overreacts to this. “Seated” here is a typo. He was asked what the difference is since he was drafted in 1984. I think that’s somehow a simultaneously obvious and astute observation. What he’s saying is that now you’re dealing with rich people, which can take a potentially different approach.

It wasn’t a hard hitting interview. They asked him what his challenges are as a first time coach. He responded “same as any first time coach.” No one followed up asking him what he sees those same challenges are.

Yep, that was classic autocorrect.
That said, I have no opinion on his money remark, just though it was an itereintere first thought considering what a few posters have been saying on here with regards to his hire

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
This is fine. I'd want someone with Quinn who has prior NHL experience, and Lindy did a great job last year with the PK. I can't blame him for the 5v5 defense because it was the same story with Ulf and Beuk.

Trotz beat Gallant at his own game by having his C collapse down to cover the slot. Their guys never stopped moving either and made sure to keep their structure when they got pinned. You just can't win by stretching your defense thin in the current NHL. You need to maintain pressure, but guys can't lose coverage in the slot. That was the biggest issue with AV these past few years when we sent both D AND a F below the goal line. You have three guys with no clue of the play developing behind them, and it wreaked havoc in our zone.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
quinn needs someone with experience on the staff. i'm ok with it if ruff is the eye in the sky who's made job is to help mentor quinn as he adapts to coaching in the nhl

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
There was that report from a couple weeks ago that said Quinn and Ruff were having conversations to see if there was a mutual fit for Ruff on the staff. If that report was accurate then this comes with Quinn's blessing.

Reactions: TheTakedown

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
There was that report from a couple weeks ago that said Quinn and Ruff were having conversations to see if there was a mutual fit for Ruff on the staff. If that report was accurate then this comes with Quinn's blessing.

we hope lol

but i think this is just the media jumping to conclusions...not that a decision has been made either way on ruff

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Have MSL start in the AHL for a year or two, go with Grönborg.

Quinn must get someone that can hold his hand, so Sacco seems likely.

I also saw a rumor that Gorton was considering hiring Dave’s mom as an assistant, Greta Quinn, who apparently is in great vigor for a 78 y/o. Dave is just so much more relaxed and confident when she is around.

Reactions: TheTakedown
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad