Confirmed with Link: David Quinn - New Rangers Coach (Officially official on 5/23)

How does your feels-o-meter rate this signing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I’d be cool if it’s Scott Gordon. Gorton obviously knows him through the Bruins organization and so does Quinn through US hockey
A couple of my friends have Phantom tickets and they think Gordon did a phenomenal job. He would be a great hire as an assistant.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
I think Marty St Louis is getting a spot on this staff. Who else? I have no idea. He may say he wants ruff there for guidance which honestly would not be the worst idea.
I wouldn't mind MSL. Different breed of guy who processes hockey better than the rest. But with little coaching experience I am not sure how big a role he would have if any, seeing players to coaches isn't always very good.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Just get me a guy that knows how to a design and run multiple Powerplay variations - we damn well have the personal for a Top 5 Powerplay.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Just get me a guy that knows how to a design and run multiple Powerplay variations - we damn well have the personal for a Top 5 Powerplay.

After 10 years of struggling to find a decent powerplay (aside from the year Yandle was here) I am starting to think we don't have the personnel for a top-5 powerplay.

Reactions: shinchanuuhh

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
This seems to be a plague for us. It seems like we can never get a sound powerplay unit, players, and coach. Understandable that it doesn't always work, but for a lot of the seasons, Rangers units just look clueless.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Shattenkirk getting injured and then missing half the season is probably a pretty big factor in the power play success last season. If he's healthy the power play should be good almost regardless of which coach is running it

Reactions: haveandare

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
After 10 years of struggling to find a decent powerplay (aside from the year Yandle was here) I am starting to think we don't have the personnel for a top-5 powerplay.
It could have also helped if the team choose to outnumber the defenders in front of the net , or in corners. They were far too buys prancing on the perimeter instead of quickly shooting and taking away line of sight.

Reactions: shinchanuuhh

Sarge13

May 30, 2018
I wonder if Clark Donatelli is being considered for an assistants position?

Former Ranger draft pick, BU player, good track record in AHL last 2 and a half seasons since he took over as HC.

Also played with Leetch and Richter on that great 88 US National team.

Reactions: Ola

Sarge13

May 30, 2018
I am sure that Quinn is going to want at least one person he knows on a pretty good basis.

One of his closest friends and a former BU assistant Scott Young, but he just took a front office job with the Penguins this past year.

Albie O'connel his longtime BU assistant?

Maybe another assistant, longtime Princeton Coach/assistant coach Len Quesnelle?

His assistant coaches in the AHL were former Rangers Dan Laperriere and David Oliver.

Steve Rohlik, head coach of Ohio State was also an assistant at U of Nebraska with Quinn.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
One of his closest friends and a former BU assistant Scott Young, but he just took a front office job with the Penguins this past year.

Albie O'connel his longtime BU assistant?

Maybe another assistant, longtime Princeton Coach/assistant coach Len Quesnelle?

His assistant coaches in the AHL were former Rangers Dan Laperriere and David Oliver.

Steve Rohlik, head coach of Ohio State was also an assistant at U of Nebraska with Quinn.
We’ve mentioned Scott Gordon and Joe Sacco in here. To piggyback your other point, Clark Donatelli also played 3 years with Quinn at BU.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
This seems to be a plague for us. It seems like we can never get a sound powerplay unit, players, and coach. Understandable that it doesn't always work, but for a lot of the seasons, Rangers units just look clueless.

I think they're lazy w their approach. They take a way too calm approach to the PP. Hot potato passing, standing still, no net presence. They think that bc there's more of them that they can just pass around the perimeter until something easy opens up. Guess what? Something easy wont always open up. Sometimes you have to bust open an opportunity. That's why this team was pathetic against teams that stacked the blue line. It's not easy enough to break through. It takes actual physicality.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
We’ve mentioned Scott Gordon and Joe Sacco in here. To piggyback your other point, Clark Donatelli also played 3 years with Quinn at BU.
That would be an outstanding bench. I think he has ties to Jay Leach too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->