Confirmed with Link: David Quinn - New Rangers Coach (Officially official on 5/23)

How does your feels-o-meter rate this signing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Mess and Zubov didn’t get along... I really hated trading Zubov for what amounted to peanuts

It was actually Campbell who wasn't a fan of Zubov and the front office was concerned about both his anxiety and his long-term conditioning (Zubov was a heavy smoker).

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Three players I've heard or read Messier didn't like and didn't last long with the Rangers--Petr Nedved (who the Rangers later on brought back), Ray Ferraro and Vladimir Vorobiev. I have no idea though whether Messier was solicited for input on any of them by the coaching or management staff. It's quite possible though that he was asked for his opinions on players. Keeping in mind as well that Messier was the leader of the Rangers locker room for some great years and some not so hot ones towards the end of his career.

As far as coaching the Rangers Mark apparently made it well known that he wanted the job when it was given to AV. That's in part why Gorton made it clear right from the beginning that only those with coaching experience need apply. Mark might make a good coach if he put in the work and he might not. Coaching takes a lot of patience--I'm not sure his personality would be a good fit for the job--that's another why someone interested should find out about himself first--whether he's up to it or not.

OT: Vladimir is Dinamo Moskow head coach these days.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Mark Messier lacks the experience to step into the roles we've discussed. That's the beginning and end of the conversation.

Some of the other things, as to who he liked and who he ran out of town, specifically with the Rangers, are filled with a lot of rumor and innuendo that's been discussed (and discounted) on here and abroad several times over. I know the real answers aren't nearly as juicy, but that's most things that "leak" out of the sports world.

I've been saying this for years. Nobody should get a head coaching job in the NHL with 0 experience. Not Messier, not Gretzky, not Lundqvist, not Lemieux. Work your way up, like everyone else. When you look at football, it's very rare that a great player becomes even a good coach. Cruijff, Beckenbauer, Maldini, Zagallo are exceptions. The same goes for hockey.

Reactions: Bozle and Inferno

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I like the move.

But - I get the feeling Quinn's time here will be a wild success or an utter failure.

I think we are all interested in seeing is how this summer plays out and what kind of roster he will have. You are selling the fanbase on a rebuild and youth development. High draft picks. Possible trade scenarios to move up or move more veterans out.

Of course you will need a core of veterans to lead the youth. Shattenkirk, Hayes, Kreider, Lundqvist, Zibanejad, Skjei, Fast. Staal, Spooner, Vesey, Namestikov, Zuccarello are question marks. But how many veterans are we talking about and how much "youth" will actually be here for him to develop this upcoming season... the following?

Andersson and Chytil will definitely be in line for spots. If Gorton goes out and signs Kovalchuk you're adding another vet for next year or two. Who knows where Tavares will wind up but the Rangers will have the room and he wants to stay in the area do you say no to a player of his caliber? He would change the dynamic from rebuild to recharge.

What happens if the Rangers have a decent season and are a playoff team? Does Gorton make moves to add and abandon the process with a first year coach going into his first postseason? Do they have to continue to be a team with a lottery chance the next year or two to allow Quinn to maximize his strongest traits as a coach?

Reactions: Rongomania

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
I like the move.

But - I get the feeling Quinn's time here will be a wild success or an utter failure.

I think we are all interested in seeing is how this summer plays out and what kind of roster he will have. You are selling the fanbase on a rebuild and youth development. High draft picks. Possible trade scenarios to move up or move more veterans out.

Of course you will need a core of veterans to lead the youth. Shattenkirk, Hayes, Kreider, Lundqvist, Zibanejad, Skjei, Fast. Staal, Spooner, Vesey, Namestikov, Zuccarello are question marks. But how many veterans are we talking about and how much "youth" will actually be here for him to develop this upcoming season... the following?

Andersson and Chytil will definitely be in line for spots. If Gorton goes out and signs Kovalchuk you're adding another vet for next year or two. Who knows where Tavares will wind up but the Rangers will have the room and he wants to stay in the area do you say no to a player of his caliber? He would change the dynamic from rebuild to recharge.

What happens if the Rangers have a decent season and are a playoff team? Does Gorton make moves to add and abandon the process with a first year coach going into his first postseason? Do they have to continue to be a team with a lottery chance the next year or two to allow Quinn to maximize his strongest traits as a coach?
I was wondering the same about most of this. I think Gorts won't do the last thing though. I think if he does, he's learned nothing.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I’m listening to Quinn on nhl radio now. He seems much more comfortable.

Sounds like he’s only talked to Shattenkirk thus far he’s going to lean on him for sure. Expect a big year from him.

This is more the guy I expected to see at the press conference
Yeah, I wasn't surprised about Quinn having "first NHL press conference jitters"

It's one thing if this was like...the Wild. It's another that it is the New Yorl Rangers.

Everything all at once. Now that he's had a week to "digest" and the realization kicks in, he's gucci.

As for talking with players, it'll happen.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Dude, your postings on the Quinn hire? Comedy gold! You created at least two new HF memes and I got at least three heavily-liked posts because of your material. Nicely done!

I surprised even myself with how much vitriol that generated. Lol.

Wait till I get my hands on that shesterkin thread. Heard he’s going to be backing up Magnus Hellberg now. Wow

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
"I am certainly planning on surrounding myself with good assistant coaches that have had experience."

Nothing has changed with that message, but it's directly from Quinn's mouth now. I like how he's handled the media so far, and he has a good sense of humor. AV did too.

Reactions: TheTakedown

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
I like the move.

RE: John T:

He scares the hell out of me, but you’re spot on, he and Zbad as a 1-2 punch...... Whoa. I am also quite certain that he’d be one helluva mentor for our young Lias Andersson.

Scary as all hell, but that’s quite the center situation to be in ...

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Todd Nelson going to the Stars as an assistant. Would have liked to give him a dhot with Quinn

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I think Marty St Louis is getting a spot on this staff. Who else? I have no idea. He may say he wants ruff there for guidance which honestly would not be the worst idea.

Brooks said a few weeks back that MSL could get a position in the front office if he wanted it... Not sure what the situation is with his kids and coaching there

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I’d be cool if it’s Scott Gordon. Gorton obviously knows him through the Bruins organization and so does Quinn through US hockey

Reactions: Savant
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad