Confirmed with Link: David Quinn - New Rangers Coach (Officially official on 5/23)

How does your feels-o-meter rate this signing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Seriously though, if you're going to make a useless hire to run an original 6 team, why not Mess, Leetch, Richter, Graves.
Wtf has Chris Drury every done?
Really? Lol

Didn’t Mess want to be HC after Torts and that’s why he blew town and works for EDM now? Am I completely off base here?

I don’t have anything against Dru, as I think we all can agree that he did a bit better job with the Pack this year.

In 15 years can we please refer to this time period in Ranger history as “The Boston Circle Jerk Years” - ??

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Allow me to be of assistance:

My questions stands. What were these many times you were referring to?

I simply meant overpaying for people to come here not coaches. Players. Should have been clear there. But my point stands. Overpaying guys who don’t want to be here until given a blank check doesn’t work. I would think that would be fairly obvious given our history. Shouldn’t be a surprising comment

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Umm how about some hockey hall of famors and face of the franchise guys instead of a nobody that went from coaching his kids to AGM?

Is this a real question?

You do realize Drury worked his way up, right? He was involved in the organization after retirement, Was DoPD and then became the assistant GM. What has Messier ever done other than playing for the Rangers? Same goes for Leetch. But yeah, it's just a Boston circle jerk. @Kovalev27 see? It's exists :laugh:

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
You do realize Drury worked his way up, right? He was involved in the organization after retirement, Was DoPD and then became the assistant GM. What has Messier ever done other than playing for the Rangers? Same goes for Leetch. But yeah, it's just a Boston circle jerk. @Kovalev27 see? It's exists :laugh:
I believe Leetch did stick around for a little but it was in the media realm of the team

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC

I personally wouldn’t have used that term that the other poster used so yes I see where you’re coming from but calling another poster a bigot is reckless. Shouldn’t be thrown around so easily is all.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
You guys do realize I need to challenge you sometimes just as you do to me in order to keep a thread going right?
:sarcasm:
If i take a test and the questions are akin to "what color is the sky?" Then it's not challenging. Not saying you're dumb. But what you are saying is lacking a lot of substance here. It's possible there are a lot of good reasons for bringing him in just as there were with yzerman. None of us has nearly enough info to definitively judge. If you do, share it. Otherwise, just like w kovalevs posts it just seems like it's illogical and based on some agenda. Having a contrary opinion is great.
Especially if you can provide evidence to support it and if you don't ignore blatantly obvious evidence that contradicts you.
The problem is often how it's presented

Last edited by a moderator:

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I personally wouldn’t have used that term that the other poster used so yes I see where you’re coming from but calling another poster a bigot is reckless. Shouldn’t be thrown around so easily is all.

I never called you a bigot. Please show me where I used that term. There seems to be some bias against people from Boston. It's as ridiculous as the Amsterdam-Rotterdam thing in the Netherlands.

I sometimes get the feeling that the criticism of Drury, Gorton or Quinn is because they are from Boston. It may be true, it may not be true. Either way, it should be possible to question this. It doesn't label someone a bigot when asked.

Last edited:

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
This team started having problems since the 1st round loss to the Pens and it was never addressed but that aside, why would they bring in Chris Drury of all people?
He knows **** about ****.
Graves (my fav all time NYR player) has been apart of this team all along.
Why not him?
You still haven't answered, why CD?
New doesn't always mean it's the right answer my man..
No new doesn’t always mean right.

But doing the same ol same ol wasn’t working either.

U think this team’s issue started 3 years ago??????

That is naive AT BEST

Drury wasn’t brought in... he’s been a part of the NYR / Wolfpack org for years! Again who cares as long as it helps the team.

What’s Richter going to do for this team? Filibuster?

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Uhh, just Quinn, baby. That's all i care, uh, about. Don't care where they, uh, hail from. Parts unknown for all I care.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Some people like Drury, some people don’t. I don’t get it, but to each their own.

However, I don’t think you can argue Drury hasn’t been working his way up and learning the ins and outs of the organization and management in general.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
He was literally coaching his kids before he got hired.
No joke.
How is he AGM?
Seriously?
So bc someone coaches their kids it means they forgot all they know about professional hockey and cant possibly be a good fit for a front office role? I dont understand why you thought that comment makes sense. That doesnt make sense, especially if he's actually doing a good job. Is he? Is he not? How do you know? Or are you just saying things with zero reason? Again what evidence do you have that he isnt a fit for the job?

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Yeah, sure, Drury has *LITERALLY* no charisma whatsoever but I don’t see how people are gonna come to the conclusion that he’s useless as an AGM from that bit of info

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
If I remember correctly, Tort's "system" with the Rangers was due more to the player personnel rather than his own preference. The only real scorer he had was Gaborik. He certainly didn't have the offensive weapons he had in Tampa Bay.

You recall 100% correctly.

The Tampa Bay Tort's system soon proved to be very ineffective with the horses on the Rangers at that time, so the "safe is death" system evolved into the phalanx of shot blockers and defensive zone covering he created.

Last edited:

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Yeah, sure, Drury has *LITERALLY* no charisma whatsoever but I don’t see how people are gonna come to the conclusion that he’s useless as an AGM from that bit of info
Drury makes me very depressed but that doesn't mean he can't do this job.

Reactions: haveandare

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
By and large, great players make for poor head coaches and front office personnel.

Are there exceptions to that Yzerman and Shanahan says hello.

They are the exception, not the rule.

I'd expect Leetch to be a terrible head coach same as Graves. I dont think of him as being to bright.

Messier I think would be utter failure as a head coach. I think he would expect his resume to do most of his motivating and that's not gonna cut it much like Gretzky was a terrible HC, Messier would be worse.

Reactions: GeorgeKaplan

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
By and large, great players make for poor head coaches and front office personnel.

Are there exceptions to that Yzerman and Shanahan says hello.

They are the exception, not the rule.

I'd expect Leetch to be a terrible head coach same as Graves. I dont think of him as being to bright.

Messier I think would be utter failure as a head coach. I think he would expect his resume to do most of his motivating and that's not gonna cut it much like Gretzky was a terrible HC, Messier would be worse.

People like Messier, Graves and Leetch need to work their way up, like Drury did.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
People like Messier, Graves and Leetch need to work their way up, like Drury did.

Agreed, and if they earn the job with decent results, I'd be ok with that.

If they were interested in coaching, you'd have to think one of them by now would have made that decision.

Leetch seems to have stepped away from the game and Graves serves a great role for the team and himself (he seems to enjoy it greatly)

Mess has expressed an interest, but it's not gone anywhere for him.

There has to be a reason for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->