Confirmed with Link: David Quinn Dismissed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
i wonder if both sides regret it not happening

Rangers would've been better long-term for it, Buch would've been scary on the wings in Edmonton.

Though part of me wonders what types of conversations we'd be having if Buch was scored at a 90 point pace for Edmonton regardless of how good Zegras looked.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Hartley is a lot like Torts. Short shelf life.
True, but even if it turns out to be another short shelf life, who really cares? We NEED THIS TEAM to play tougher, to be harder to play against, to play a team game that can pull together, be READY at puck drop and WIN regularly during the season and becoming one of those teams that can play and WIN PO hockey, the way successful teams do.

Torts will have much more to work with, (this time around) and would prefer him over any of those names, and Tocchet would be my 2nd choice for many of those same reasons and brings the "been there, done that" winning players perspective.

mac

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
True, but even if it turns out to be another short shelf life, who really cares? We NEED THIS TEAM to play tougher, to be harder to play against, to play a team game that can pull together, be READY at puck drop and WIN regularly during the season and becoming one of those teams that can play and WIN PO hockey, the way successful teams do.

Torts will have much more to work with, (this time around) and would prefer him over any of those names, and Tocchet would be my 2nd choice for many of those same reasons and brings the "been there, done that" winning players perspective.
Having met Hartley a number of times, the reason he has a short shelf life is he's a hole.
Want nothing to do with this prick.
I have never met a coach so full of himself.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Has @Boris Zubov given any thoughts on Gallant? He's our resident VGK/NYR fan, I believe.

If BrindAmour doesn't shake loose from Carolina, Gallant would be my pick over any other experienced candidate. That first season in Vegas is exactly the way I'd love to see this Rangers team play. Relentless on the forecheck, tough in the corners, with everyone buying in for the team concept.

The reasons he got canned here never really became clear, but I'm not sure him & mgmt were on the same page. The owner seems meddlesome & impatient, they are hell bent on chasing All Stars & high ticket free agents.

Replacing him with DeBoer has been a mixed bag & I'm unconvinced the team is better for it. They beat up on bottom feeders & it showed last year in the playoffs when they couldn't score. They still have those same issues, only the power play is now a lot worse. Unless Colorado lays a huge egg tonight, Vegas is gonna have all they can handle to get past the Wild in round 1.

With that said, Gallant must have his warts. If anything I think he might be too much of a players coach. When the misfit mentality died, the team in year 2 started to coast & then tried to turn it on when they felt like they could cruise past lesser opponents. I also think he was badly out-coached in the Stanley Cup Finals after Game 1 where Trotz made adjustments & the Knights didn't. Could've simply been the Caps were the better team. You can also play the what-if game...Tuch ties the score late in Game 2 & Vegas wins in OT, Gallant is now a legend, etc, etc...so there's a fine line of how he's viewed. Hopefully a year+ out of the game has given him time to tweak his style & make adjustments.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
If BrindAmour doesn't shake loose from Carolina, Gallant would be my pick over any other experienced candidate. That first season in Vegas is exactly the way I'd love to see this Rangers team play. Relentless on the forecheck, tough in the corners, with everyone buying in for the team concept.

The reasons he got canned here never really became clear, but I'm not sure him & mgmt were on the same page. The owner seems meddlesome & impatient, they are hell bent on chasing All Stars & high ticket free agents.

Replacing him with DeBoer has been a mixed bag & I'm unconvinced the team is better for it. They beat up on bottom feeders & it showed last year in the playoffs when they couldn't score. They still have those same issues, only the power play is now a lot worse. Unless Colorado lays a huge egg tonight, Vegas is gonna have all they can handle to get past the Wild in round 1.

With that said, Gallant must have his warts. If anything I think he might be too much of a players coach. When the misfit mentality dies The team in year 2 started to coast & then turn it on when they felt like they could cruise past lesser opponents. I also think he was badly out-coached in the Stanley Cup Finals after Game 1 where Trotz made adjustments & the Knights didn't. Could've simply been the Caps were the better team. You can also play the what-if game...Tuch ties the score late in Game 2 & Vegas wins in OT, Gallant is now a legend, so there's a fine line of how he's viewed. Hopefully a year+ out of the game has given him time to tweak his style & make adjustments.

Sounds like he's more than prepared to work here!

mac

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Having met Hartley a number of times, the reason he has a short shelf life is he's a hole.
Want nothing to do with this prick.
I have never met a coach so full of himself.
Personally, I don't think you rush the hire.
I have Knoblach at #4

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
I think Foley is worse than Dolan because he actually thinks he knows hockey. At least the front office/coach in NY will have Sather as the go between. Foley gets involved in draft decisions, trade deadline calls, etc.

I get what you're saying, but if I'm Drury or whoever the new HC is, I'm not seeing Sather as a friendly.

Look how that worked for the last regime. Sather is a snake.

Reactions: CLW

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
Rangers would've been better long-term for it, Buch would've been scary on the wings in Edmonton.

Though part of me wonders what types of conversations we'd be having if Buch was scored at a 90 point pace for Edmonton regardless of how good Zegras looked.

haha, some people would be in full meltdown mode

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Just realized Drury played under Torts for a few seasons. I wonder to what extent that experience will inform his decision. It’s not every day that an ex-player turned GM hires his former coach to be the new coach. This decision will reveal much about Torts’ standing among players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad