Sportsnet: David Perron & James Neal Consider Moving On from Vegas

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
I wonder if McPhee will do the same for Vegas that he did in Washington; pissing off agents and turning his city into a destination free agents prefer to avoid, no matter how good the team.

He's been hard at work since messing around with Shipachyov and lowballing Schmidt after selecting him

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
If Neal and Perron walk in Free Agency, why would Karlsson want to play for them? Without their depth, they aren't going to win the Stanley Cup next season. They would have a lot of cap space to acquire more forwards in Free Agency, but if Tavares resigns with the New York Islander, JVR + Bozak would be the best free agent forwards available.

wingsfan17

Jan 20, 2008
No surprises here, 5x5 is fair for Neal, but he could definitely get more elsewhere. Perron was a healthy scratch in the playoffs so not really surprised no offer was made for him.

I think rolling with a Tatar-Haula-Tuch line will be terrible, but we’ll have to wait and see.

Also, whether it’s JVR, or Bobby Ryan, or someone else, you get the feeling Vegas will overpay for a winger once free agency starts.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
My guess is that Montreal gives Perron a stupid contract. But if I were Vegas I'd do my best to keep him.

Neal... I know he'll get a stupid contract, can't predict where other than Ottawa. I think Edmonton, but don't know if they'll truly get his interest contract-wise.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
No surprises here, 5x5 is fair for Neal, but he could definitely get more elsewhere. Perron was a healthy scratch in the playoffs so not really surprised no offer was made for him.

I think rolling with a Tatar-Haula-Tuch line will be terrible, but we’ll have to wait and see.

Also, whether it’s JVR, or Bobby Ryan, or someone else, you get the feeling Vegas will overpay for a winger once free agency starts.

Rather overpay for a center like Stastny than a winger. Losing so many faceoffs really didn't help us any during the Final.

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
Weird player with perron . Was almost a point per game during the regular season from the second line yet got healthy scratched in th he playoffs.

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
Perron is going to want a payday.. I don't think I'd want to give him more than 4.5m..Betcha he'll ask for 6+

I can totally see Perron being the worst forward contract signed next week. IMO I'd be okay with 4-4.5 on a short deal. 2 years max. I could see someone giving him term at 4.5-5.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
McPhee was the most hated GM by agents in the league back when he was with the caps, we never had a shot at Hossa, Chara or any top tier FAs during his time and it probably cost us dearly. Vegans are about to find it out the hard way
Vegans are about to find out the answer to "where's the beef?' is "not in George McPhee's contract offers".

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
I'm not sure anyone will give Perron a long term deal. This isn't his first trip to UFA.

Love him as a player but the guy has worn out his welcome on a bunch of different teams for a reason.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Perron is a worse Pacioretty: great regular season performer but invisible in the playoffs. Good on Vegas for not wanting to overpay for a player with no extra gear.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
FWIW, Neals girfriend tweeted out that Neal was never offered that contract. Her tweet was later deleted after making that tweet.

Dudes need to start dumping girls that can't keep their mouths shut on social media. Colangelo, Hoffman, etc. Enough.

Reactions: gab6511

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
My guess is that Montreal gives Perron a stupid contract. But if I were Vegas I'd do my best to keep him.

Neal... I know he'll get a stupid contract, can't predict where other than Ottawa. I think Edmonton, but don't know if they'll truly get his interest contract-wise.
Why would they? Too many wingers as it is.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I have to give credit for the job McPhee did on the expansion draft. He clearly crushed it. But Vegas fans are about to find out how bad he is at balancing the short and long term plan.

Trades anything for picks at the start of the year, but then buys Tatar at a super high price. Now he's gonna let tent walk because they want term (like Tatar has).

Neal turns 31 in September. And he would likely be seeking a 6 year deal. If new were willing to do maybe 4 years at a higher cap hit them that makes more sense for Vegas rather than risk him falling off at age 35.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad