Not open for further replies.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
giphy.gif

and I like Pastrnak.

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
FWIW I'm not sure Marner still being on his ELC actually does make him any more valuable these days.

The way the market is going the last few years, if the Leafs wait until his ELC is up to re-sign him, they might very well end up paying him over a million more AAV than Pastrnak will likely get for fairly similar production, depending on his progression.

How does that make any sense??? It's a fact that he will be making significantly less than Pasta will be for two more years. After that sure Marner may get more money, but the two years of ELC more than make up for it. If you believe in Marner's abilities, his potential is extremely high. He's a line driving winger, something that is very rare. And he doesn't get to play with the best two-way forward in the game of hockey along with one of the best LWers in the game.

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
Not a fan of the Leafs, but this would be an idiotic trade for the team.

Pasta is substantially better, but wants approx $8M per. (I expect Leaf fan complaints). Marner remains a ELC and likely Bridge deal afterwards that would still be at least 50% cheaper for the next 3-4 years.

Bruins can dump this overpriced player with another team and Leafs continue with the rebuild.

The only way I see Marner taking a bridge deal is if regresses hard statistically. If he's a 3 time 60-70+ point player coming off his ELC he'll be on/around the level of a Kessel, Seguin, Toews, Kane, Stamkos, Tarasenko, Hall, Draisatl, Kopitar ,Drouin, Skinner, Scheifele, etc. who all skipped bridge deals and took long term deals at around 10% of the cap at the time.

Last edited:

Weiss1604

Mar 27, 2017
Wales
Two amazing young talents , god this thread makes absolutely no sense whatsoever . Both are fan favourites & both will remain at their respective clubs for a long time . Why did I just waste 2 minutes of my life reading & adding to this ??

riverhawkey91

May 22, 2011
Lowell, MA
How does that make any sense??? It's a fact that he will be making significantly less than Pasta will be for two more years. After that sure Marner may get more money, but the two years of ELC more than make up for it. If you believe in Marner's abilities, his potential is extremely high. He's a line driving winger, something that is very rare. And he doesn't get to play with the best two-way forward in the game of hockey along with one of the best LWers in the game.

That's great if you're a team that's right against the cap already like Chicago and you need him to be that cheap for those two years...or a small market team where that extra $1-2M or whatever off-setting those ELC years in real dollars is actually important to the organization.

But Boston and Toronto are neither of those things, and cap hit is probably the biggest factor for the future of both teams. Again, we're talking about 2 years versus potentially 8 years here. I'd guarantee you both teams would easily trade more salary/a higher cap hit right now for a lower cap hit over a longer time for the future.

As an example, if Toronto had the ability right now, don't you think they'd gladly sacrifice those last two years of his ELC and sign him for $6M/8Y today? I think that's an easy call.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

Pastrnak also plays on the top shutdown line for a team that plays defense.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Oh right I forgot HFs golden rule: Only non-Leafs fans can have unbiased opinions no doubt.

I'll admit I've only seen him in games vs. Toronto which, again, is why I used the word seems, but this is just an example of a play that came to my mind.

Does defense matter or not then?

The way you phrase it, "just an example" tries to imply you have a list of poor defensive plays by Pastrnak at the ready -- whereas I am sure Marner never has missed an assignment or been lax on a forecheck, etc.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
The only way I see Marner taking a bridge deal is if regresses hard statistically. If he's a 3 time 60-70+ point player coming off his ELC he'll be on/around the level of a Kessel, Seguin, Toews, Kane, Stamkos, Tarasenko, Hall, Draisatl, Kopitar ,Drouin, Skinner, Scheifele, etc. who all skipped bridge deals and took long term deals at around 10% of the cap at the time.

If the Leafs decide to lock him, he'll likely earn about $4M-$6M per depends on the term, still significantly less than the $8M+ Pasta wants and I like him more than Marner.

Leafs keep with the rebuild, they'll be handing out lots of expensive in the coming years, they don't need to add players like Pasta when it's not needed.

AvroArrow

The way she goes
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
OP Just stop, this is pathetic. OP is a habs fan yet continues to make stupid and ridiculous proposals/threads including leaf players, shut this down. As well as that other awful thread on the 1st page.

riverhawkey91

May 22, 2011
Lowell, MA
If the Leafs decide to lock him, he'll likely earn about $4M-$6M per depends on the term, still significantly less than the $8M+ Pasta wants and I like him more than Marner.

Leafs keep with the rebuild, they'll be handing out lots of expensive in the coming years, they don't need to add players like Pasta when it's not needed.

You mean $4M-$6M on a 2-3 year bridge deal, right?

In two years, if he continues to progress, he'll be looking at an $8-10M long-term deal the way contracts are climbing...definitely not $4-$6M. Hell if he ends up near or above 30G next year he might be looking at that without even waiting until his ELC runs out.

Also, where are you getting that Pastrnak is looking for $8M+? Because there's been absolutely nothing that says that, and most Bruins sources have been speculating after the Draisaitl signing that he might be looking for something close to $7.5M. That means he'll probably come in somewhere between $7-$7.5M...not $8M+.

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site

If Marner progresses at all that is not going to be enough to re-sign him. The only way he signs for that little is if he doesn't progress at all and he takes a bridge deal. In two years when his contract is over, if he has progressed to approximately the same level as Pastrnak he is going to be looking at $8-10 million possibly with the way salaries have been going up.

I understand wanting to hold on to him and that being on an entry level deal is a bonus right now and that the Leafs will figure out how to fit his salary when the time comes, but he is not getting $4 million unless he regresses. 60+ points is $6+ million right now, in two years it will be more.

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
You mean $4M-$6M on a 2-3 year bridge deal, right?

In two years, if he continues to progress, he'll be looking at an $8-10M long-term deal the way contracts are climbing...definitely not $4-$6M. Hell if he ends up near or above 30G next year he might be looking at that without even waiting until his ELC runs out.

Also, where are you getting that Pastrnak is looking for $8M+? Because there's been absolutely nothing that says that, and most Bruins sources have been speculating after the Draisaitl signing that he might be looking for something close to $7.5M. That means he'll probably come in somewhere between $7-$7.5M...not $8M+.

There is also a lot of speculation that the money and length of the deal are not what is holding it up, it is Pastrnak looking for some kind of guaranteed payday even if there is a lock out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->