David Krejci or Kris Letang

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Letang. I'm not sure it's close either.

If anybody does vote Krejci (Who has had a good career), I'd like to hear the reasoning.

Krejci has been playing with garbage nearly the last decade. Letang has played with Malkin, Crosby, etc.

Letang might be better as an offensive defenseman but Krejci would be a #1 on several other teams given proper talent.

I can understand choosing Letang but it should be considered a close decision.

Reactions: Bruhin

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Letang. I'm not sure it's close either.

If anybody does vote Krejci (Who has had a good career), I'd like to hear the reasoning.

Krejci has been saddled with garbage wingers since 2016 getting the likes of Backes, Beleskey, Heinen, Ritchie, Smith, Debrusk. Debrusk being the lone bright spot until Hall at the deadline.

No surprise that Krejci put up 20 points in 15 games once he got Hall, and has put up over a PPG playing with Marchand/Pastrnak in Bergeron's absences

Career 0.76 ppg player despite this, and a 0.90 ppg player at his peak. With a nearly 55/45 o-zone/d-zone start %. 2x Top 10 in assists, 2x led the league in +/-

200 ft center who got his share of Selke votes in his 20s

A playoff performer, there's a reason why "playoff Krejci" is a thing. 2x led the league in playoff scoring, 1x led in goals, 1x led in assists.

He's an incredible passer who elevates his wingers to the point where Sweeney has neglected getting legit 2nd line wingers because Krejci covers it up.

Obviously, its a close call and either choice can make a compelling argument, but it's a hell of a lot closer than some are making it out to be.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Despite the protestations, it's really not that close a call. A #1 dman is better than a 1B/2A center.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Krejci has been playing with garbage nearly the last decade. Letang has played with Malkin, Crosby, etc.

Letang might be better as an offensive defenseman but Krejci would be a #1 on several other teams given proper talent.

I can understand choosing Letang but it should be considered a close decision.
Krejci has been saddled with garbage wingers since 2016 getting the likes of Backes, Beleskey, Heinen, Ritchie, Smith, Debrusk. Debrusk being the lone bright spot until Hall at the deadline.

No surprise that Krejci put up 20 points in 15 games once he got Hall, and has put up over a PPG playing with Marchand/Pastrnak in Bergeron's absences

Career 0.76 ppg player despite this, and a 0.90 ppg player at his peak. With a nearly 55/45 o-zone/d-zone start %. 2x Top 10 in assists, 2x led the league in +/-

200 ft center who got his share of Selke votes in his 20s

A playoff performer, there's a reason why "playoff Krejci" is a thing. 2x led the league in playoff scoring, 1x led in goals, 1x led in assists.

He's an incredible passer who elevates his wingers to the point where Sweeney has neglected getting legit 2nd line wingers because Krejci covers it up.

Obviously, its a close call and either choice can make a compelling argument, but it's a hell of a lot closer than some are making it out to be.

Relative to other players at their respective positions, the answer should be Letang. That's not a knock on Krejci, but at no point was Krejci a top 5, or even top 10 center league-wide. Letang's been among the top 10 defenders during a lot of his prime, and was a top 5 defenseman at his absolute best.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Relative to other players at their respective positions, the answer should be Letang. That's not a knock on Krejci, but at no point was Krejci a top 5, or even top 10 center league-wide. Letang's been among the top 10 defenders during a lot of his prime, and was a top 5 defenseman at his absolute best.

I agree Letang is more established as a #1 defenseman than Krejci as a 1B, #2 center, but I'm not as certain he was a top five or ten defensemen, rather a bit of a product of that offensively elite core he produced with.

The PP Pittsburgh was able to ice was staggering.

ThatsSoSlavin

Aug 23, 2018
I agree Letang is more established as a #1 defenseman than Krejci as a 1B, #2 center, but I'm not as certain he was a top five or ten defensemen, rather a bit of a product of that offensively elite core he produced with.

The PP Pittsburgh was able to ice was staggering.
Letang was a finalist for the Norris so he was top 3 at least one season

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
I'm not certain that's how it works. I don't think Letang was ever a top 10 defenseman. He leaches off Malkin, Crosby etc for points which is fine - he is a good #1. But no top 10 defenseman.

Name the 10 defenseman better than Letang over his career

If you mean by season, explain why he isn't top 10 in 2012 and this season?

ThatsSoSlavin

Aug 23, 2018
I'm not certain that's how it works. I don't think Letang was ever a top 10 defenseman. He leaches off Malkin, Crosby etc for points which is fine - he is a good #1. But no top 10 defenseman.
15/16 3rd in points (64 in 71 games), was the number one defenseman on 3 cup winning teams

He was never a top 3 in the league imo but not being a top 10 at some point of his career is ridiculous imo

but agree to disagree

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

I don't think you're giving him near enough credit. They (Crosby and Malkin) also benefit tremendously from Letang's ability to transition the puck up the ice.

Of course he's going to benefit from playing with them, but so does Victor Hedman benefit from playing on a PP with Kucherov, Stamkos and Point. Doesn't mean we should start questioning how good Hedman truly is since he's got the luxury of playing with elite forwards.

Reactions: sanscosm

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Letang was 2nd in the league in dmen points per game in the 2010s behind only Karlsson. He's been without a doubt a top 10 dman, and one of the biggest reasons why the pens have made 15 straight playoffs and don't lose a beat when Crosby or Malkin go down. Very underrated on this board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad