Player Discussion David Krejci. IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
It's aberrant that DK was getting so much bashing for such a long time .. if he continues to do good where does bergy go when he gets back? (I think he'll be back)

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
the thing I don't get about the "Krejci should make his linemates better" crowd is that they hold him to this impossible standard of being able to make plugs into players (and honestly Crosby is the only center in the NHL who does this consistently every year), but then don't acknowledge that Bergeron has had the luxury of playing with one of the best LWs in the NHL since 2011.

I'm not saying Krejci deserves a pass. As a playmaker you expect him to help generate offense for his linemates to a degree but he also needs something to work with. If you gave Krejci a Marchand or Pastrnak full time like Bergeron has then public perception of Krejci would probably be that he's a pretty consistent player.

I think this year with guys like Debrusk, Heinen, Donato, and even Rick Nash we saw that Krejci can still bring it if given a little help. Maybe for his cap hit you wish he'd be able to get it done with lesser wingers, but he's just not that guy (and in today's NHL there are very few players capable of that). But a guy who can produce at a 1B level with good wingers is still super valuable.

he also doesn't play virtually every shift with one of the top 5 wingers in the world. Again, if we are going to hold Krejci to the same standard as Bergeron then give him a comparable supporting cast.

we're not even saying he needs a "top end winger" to play with. We just want him to have something better than Matt Beleskey or Jimmy ****ing Hayes. Even Spooner was a burden on that line. We've been over it ad nauseum, but Spooner is a guy who can put up points and still be a net negative. I wouldn't look at Krejci's offensive output with Spooner as some kind of proof that Spooner was a "good" linemate for him.

Debrusk showed he can be that guy so I'm happy with him as Krejci's LW (and you can tell both guys enjoy playing together). The question is the RW. If one of the kids can be relied on in that spot, great. I personally would like to see Pasta in that spot because it gives you elite talent on 2 lines instead of 1.

swap Krejci and Bergeron for a month and then see if you still think that's true.

i don't think anyone is arguing that Krejci is as good as Bergeron. Bergeron has always been the better all-around player and in the last couple years has found another gear offensively. But Bergeron consistently plays with the two best wingers on the team by far. The chasm between Bergeron's wingers and Krejci's wingers is waaaaay bigger than the chasm between Krejci and Bergeron. There's a reason their offensive numbers were nearly the same for years until Marchand & Pastrnak matured into elite players. Krejci obviously wouldn't be as good on the first line as Bergeron is because Krejci has always struggled with consistency, but i'm confident Bergeron wouldn't be pushing 80 points and 30 goals every year playing with the mix of rookies and grinders that Krejci has been stuck with since his Lucic/Horton/Loui days.

lol i honestly thought you were replying to me from earlier, i didn't even read the post you quoted. with that said, obviously my position is different from that guy's.

again, Krejci has never been the better player (though he was arguably better offensively at times). They were always pretty comparable offensively with Bergeron being much better defensively.

Bergeron has pulled ahead offensively in the last couple years, but my whole point is that consistently playing with the two best wingers on the team is a big reason for that. (btw, consider how good Riley Nash looked in that spot last year) That's not a knock on Bergeron (who is my favorite player), or saying Krejci would be better than him if the roles were reversed (though it's entirely possible Krejci would put up more points than Bergeron after a full season of playing with Marchand & Pasta). I'm simply saying that when comparing the two players it's only fair to consider the quality of their linemates when talking about the "chasm" between them. I just don't think it's as wide as some people think.

People hold Krejci to the same standard as Bergeron (in part because of past performance, in part because of cap hit) and I just don't think that's fair when you consider what each guy has to work with since around 2015. I mean you have people saying Krejci is a 3rd liner which is just absurd when you consider he's got 6 points in 7 games and nearly half of those were playing with Joakim freaking Nordstrom. Debrusk is obviously a good long-term winger for him, but he's still not a finished product and the rest of the kids are still finding their way. People want to talk about how much worse Krejci is than Bergeron but then ignore the massive dropoff from Marchand/Pasta to Debrusk/????.

Give Krejci consistent, good wingers for a whole season (and a little injury luck) and he'll produce like a very, very good 2nd line C. That is literally all most of us (reasonable) Krejci supporters are arguing. I don't see how that is such a controversial position.

when did I say he has NEVER had good wingers? Please stick to arguing things I actually said if you're going to user phrases like "false narrative" (yeah no **** it's a false narrative because nobody would ever argue that he has always had scrubs for wingers). I'm talking about since 2016 when it has been a revolving door of 3rd liners and prospects on his wings. Beleskey, Spooner, Backes, Stafford, Hayes, Vatrano, Cehlarik, Czarnik, etc.

He has occasionally played with Pasta in the last 2 years and that is literally the only bonafide top 6 talent he has played with since Loui left, and they don't play together regularly. Debrusk is the best regular linemate he's had since the 15/16 season and even he didn't really start to put it together until the last 3rd of last season (and still has a way to go). Krejci looked good with Rick Nash for a while too, but it's debatable if Rick Nash was still a top 6 talent even before he got hurt after the trade.

Go here and go to the line combinations tab and look at last year and the year before:
David Krejci - Frozen Tools
then compare to Bergeron:
Patrice Bergeron - Frozen Tools

Especially note the percentages in the far left column. While Bergeron has overwhelmingly taken most of his shifts with Marchand (and then later Marchand AND Pasta more than 50% of the time), Krejci only had the same two linemates a little over 26% of the time last year and then barely over 15% with his most frequent linemates (Backes & Spooner UGH) the year before. And yes, Bergeron had a great season playing around 38% with Connolly in 15/16, but despite playing with a variety of RWs that year he played virutally the whole season with Marchand who had 37 goals that year. So not only has Krejci generally had worse wingers than Bergeron (like pretty much during all of the last 2 seasons), but he also has had far less time playing with the same wingers to build chemistry.

So yeah, in the last 2 seasons Krejci has been given scraps to work with compared to Bergeron and then people act like it's some big mystery why Krejci hasn't looked as good as when he played with prime Lucic and Horton. And yes, some of it is on Krejci, no question. He has always been somewhat inconsistent from game to game and age and injuries are a factor too. But the lengths people will go to in blaming it all on him and blatantly ignoring the lack of a supporting cast for him is pretty annoying.

And then when someone like me makes this very argument people are extremely quick to say "well he makes 7 million, he should make his wingers better". That's where my post you were quoting came from. Yeah it would be great if he could elevate his wingers a little more and yeah he's probably a bit overpaid for what he brings, but again, there are very few players in the world who could make something out of the list of guys Krejci has played with over the last 2 years. Even Bergeron who is basically blameless here and only barely makes less than Krejci wasn't going to make guys like Beleskey, Spooner, etc. look like 1st liners (not without Marchand's help anyway - and I LOVE Bergeron, but let's be real)

remember when the Bergeron line started the season red hot and Krejci's wingers weren't doing shit and I struggled in vain to convince people that Krejci was actually good and would produce at a similar level if he got to play with Marchand and Pasta for a while?

anyway just reminiscing

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
It does benefit the Bruins if in the offseason they were to try and change things up, because this stretch has gone to show that when playing with quality wingers, David is still a legit #1 center in the league.

Personally I prefer to keep him because quite simply as I have said since before last year, I just don't and haven't seen a way you can ever improve this team by trading Krejci (well unless you could have gotten Tavares). You can't trade him for as good a player as he is. And with the rare exception of a Tavares, guys at Krejci skill level never see Free agency.

I do hope that seeing David with Pasta and MArchand finally convinces the Bruins that you don't need some lumbering hulk as a winger for him. You need skilled players

gvkmedia

20th Captain in franchise history.
Mar 2, 2002
Oshawa.
www.hollandbloorview.ca
It does benefit the Bruins if in the offseason they were to try and change things up, because this stretch has gone to show that when playing with quality wingers, David is still a legit #1 center in the league.

Personally I prefer to keep him because quite simply as I have said since before last year, I just don't and haven't seen a way you can ever improve this team by trading Krejci (well unless you could have gotten Tavares). You can't trade him for as good a player as he is. And with the rare exception of a Tavares, guys at Krejci skill level never see Free agency.

I do hope that seeing David with Pasta and MArchand finally convinces the Bruins that you don't need some lumbering hulk as a winger for him. You need skilled players

Yes
DeBrusk and Rick Nash would look great with Bergeron....

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Leave him with 63 & 88

Play Bergeron with the 2015 Bust Class

DeBrusk- Bergeron-Senyshyn

We need a name ?

Reactions: TCB

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Leave him with 63 & 88

Play Bergeron with the 2015 Bust Class

DeBrusk- Bergeron-Senyshyn

We need a name ?

But that would ruin a perfectly good narrative that the game has passed Krejci by, he’s too slow, he shouldn’t be given quality wingers, is a 4th line center, doesn’t try, and can’t play well with Pasta. Have I missed any?

Reactions: BMC

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
But that would ruin a perfectly good narrative that the game has passed Krejci by, he’s too slow, he shouldn’t be given quality wingers, is a 4th line center, doesn’t try, and can’t play well with Pasta. Have I missed any?
Krejci will retire with over 750 points and 1000 games with the Bruins

He plays 3 zones doesn’t cheat responsibilities

That line last night looked amazing

Bergeron overall is bettter but pure skills with the puck and creativity Krejci is on another level

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Krejci will retire with over 750 points and 1000 games with the Bruins

He plays 3 zones doesn’t cheat responsibilities

That line last night looked amazing

Bergeron overall is bettter but pure skills with the puck and creativity Krejci is on another level

Playmakers can last a very long time in this league if given the right supporting cast. I could see him playing till late 30s if healthy

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
I mean yeah... If a guy whose getting paid to be a top 6 center can't produce with those two flanking him then somethings wrong. :laugh::sarcasm:

Good for Krejci though. I've given him flak but I'm really glad to see him step in and keep that top line buzzing.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Krejci has looked better of late, even before getting place between 88 & 63. His “compete level” has been elevated since Bergeron went down. Not sure what clicked but he’s been playing harder

Reactions: TCB and JCRO

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
When Berg gets back ..I'd like to see him on the second line and by some chance of his production really goes down...I wonder what excuses will be provided.

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
DK was playing with an up and coming left winger and a garbage supporting cast at RW.
And he still put on good production. He also had 10 pts (playoffs)in 12 games with a rwinger that I abhor and is awful and he kept being bashed.
Look he gave up the puck. Look he did that. If one focuses on a player and digs for crap you will find it. It just seemed that DK couldn't do right yet if Berg goes in a slump....then it must some injury nagging him .always gets a pass. ( Not from me though)

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
He's been beastly out there. For those of you who don't do the Athletic, here is a snippet from a recent article on Krejci by Joe McDonald:

Krejci’s many attributes may go unappreciated by those on the outside, but his teammates understand how important he is to the success of this team.

“His offensive abilities are ridiculous,” said longtime opponent and current teammate David Backes. “His vision. His shiftiness. His ability to control the puck and see the ice, and then, make a saucer pass that flies all the way it needs to go and lands where it needs to land. He’s a very special player.”

Backes admitted he didn’t fully appreciate Krejci’s talents as the two played against each other for 10 seasons, when Backes was with the St. Louis Blues.

“His toughness? I always thought he could be intimidated, but watching him (as his teammate) you see he fights through hard hits. He’ll get his teeth knocked out and he’s back that game. He’s hard to play against. He’s hard on draws. He’s doing all the little things that do go unnoticed when you’re from afar that when you’re on his team you love having guys like that. To be in the position he’s in now, he’s either producing at a high rate, or he’s getting old. Maybe it’s a little bit of both.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad