RD David Jiricek (2022, 6th, CBJ)

SCampo98

Dec 24, 2015
Sherbrooke, QC
I came across this guy while looking at some stats from the Extraliga this season and he seems like a n interesting player. He’s already 6’3” and played four games with the senior team this year. I was wondering if any of you guys had any more info on him.

He did not play in the Under 17s this year although he seemed to be one of the better defence prospects available for the Czechs (was he injured?). In non tournament Under 17 games, he was 5+6=11 in 12 games. As the youngest defence man on Plzen’s U20 DHL Cup team, he tied for the lead in defence and scoring with 6+11=17 in 24 games.

As a late ‘03, he isn’t eligible for the draft until 2022, it will be interesting to see how he develops and how much he will play for the Czech Junior team in the future. If any of you have any more info on him, I’d love to hear about it.

edit: I forgot to add that he was a defenceman in the title, if a Mod could do that, that would be great.

Last edited:
Reactions: czech

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
He did not play in the Under 17s this year although he seemed to be one of the better defence prospects available for the Czechs (was he injured?)
That's correct, Jiricek got injured just before the tournament and missed it unfortunately. I think he would have made this years U18 WJC squad too, had the event not gotten cancelled. Either way, he is an impressive prospect, lots of potential on both sides of the rink.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
A kid like this is why I never like the idea of people making a rankings too far out for a draft like 2022 or 2023.

It really takes some deep digging to find this kid, unless you are Czech. You could think you follow prospects as much as anyone, and still have never heard of this kid until now. Who heard of this player until they read this thread? I don't think its many people.

And maybe he's not a top-level player. I don't know. I haven't seen him play, but what if this kid was actually the 8th best player in the draft and no one knew because he lacked exposure so far out from the 2022 draft and missed a tournament or two due to injury? You are never going to have complete info, but a player like this is proof that projecting the best players so far out is a futile exercise. It's so easy to miss important info. What if hypothetically someone had made a first round projection for the 2020 draft without Drysdale, Holtz, Zary, Guhle and Amirov and said the reasoning was that they were unaware of these players at that time? Would you compliment their knowledge and the list they put out? No, you wouldn't because it would be missing crucially important info.

SCampo98

Dec 24, 2015
Sherbrooke, QC
What round are we thinking, or is it too far out to guess?

I definitely think it’s too far out to guess but he seems to be a good prospect. I have seen articles comparing him to Stanislaw Svozil, who is projected to be a first rounder in 2021, but a lot can happen in two years. It will definitely be fun to watch him over the coming years.

Reactions: EnglishJet

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Picked 54th in the import draft by Spokane. Very curious to see him in the WHL. Could be an excellent prospect for the 22 NHL Draft.

Voodoozz

Czechmate
Feb 22, 2016
Pilsen
www.youtube.com
Picked up his 1st point for Pilsen A squad yesterday (assist on a GWG).

Saw him live, dedinitely didn't look like a 16 years old Dman, he didn't panic with a puck on his stick, tried to make creative plays each shift, head up all the time. Great mobility given his size, pretty strong on the boards.

Good impression overall, very polished game for his age, he should see a lot of Extraliga action this year for sure.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland

Saw him live, dedinitely didn't look like a 16 years old Dman, he didn't panic with a puck on his stick, tried to make creative plays each shift, head up all the time. Great mobility given his size, pretty strong on the boards.

Good impression overall, very polished game for his age, he should see a lot of Extraliga action this year for sure.

Exhibition game?

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019

Thanks for sharing this. Would be cool to see him play in Extraliga until December, then move to Spokane.

Reactions: Voodoozz

Nosswor

Jun 24, 2016
Will become the youngest player to ever play for the Czech senior team in today's Karjala Cup game against the Russian side, which is actually the Russian U20 side.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
(Regarding his performance at the world juniors only) I enjoyed watching his physical presence. Played a rather simple game with the puck, but I like it.
And the cherry on top was at the end when they were posing for a photo with the 3 best players, he put his arms around both teammates at his side. Even though they lost. I don't know why, but I like that.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EqxxWCaUwAE3QZV.jpg

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
(Regarding his performance at the world juniors only) I enjoyed watching his physical presence. Played a rather simple game with the puck, but I like it.
And the cherry on top was at the end when they were posing for a photo with the 3 best players, he put his arms around both teammates at his side. Even though they lost. I don't know why, but I like that.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EqxxWCaUwAE3QZV.jpg
He seems like a great kid for sure. You could also see when the other two were named top players for their team they didn’t really seem to care but he couldn’t help but smile for a second. Old hockey men will say he puts personal achievements above the team, but really he was just really excited to have played that good a tournament as an 03.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->