Prospect Info: David Goyette (Round 2, Pick #61, 2022 draft)

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Small snippet from the Black Book:

We would characterize David Goyette’s game as a dynamic rushing center, who breaks down teams with his puck handling and skating combination. David Goyette finished the season with 73 points in 66 games at the OHL level; 54 of his points, and 28 of his goals occurred after January 1st. Points need context, and in this case it also represents a remarkable development curve in Goyette.

This draft seems somewhat unique in the sense that we have never experienced so many players have second half surges or up and down years. When looking at players that developed into far better players over the course of the season, or looked completely different if you took a six game sample of their worst performances, Goyette is right there with Ivan Miroshnichenko and Gleb Trikozov for the top spot

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Drafted with the 11th overall pick in the 2020 OHL Draft, Sudbury Wolves centre David Goyette was unable to play in 2020-21 as the entire season was wiped out due to the Covid pandemic. He made up for it in 2021-22, attracting a ton of attention as he led all OHL rookies in both goals and points. Goyette put up 33 goals and 40 assists for 73 points in 66 regular-season games. He did it all on a rebuilding Sudbury team that would go on to miss the playoffs. Goyette joined Team Canada for the IIHF Under-18 World Championships. While it was a disappointing tournament for the Canadian team, Goyette performed well. He scored a goal and two assists for three points in four games.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Nice pick, was ranked to go earlier. I kinda think if you flip flopped Kokko and this pick it would have made more sense in terms of rankings. We'll call it a wash, it worked out.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
My write up on Goyette:

From my media/scout poll:

For McKeen's subscribers, this is Dylan Krill's detailed look with lots of video:

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Great pick by your team. I wanted him with the 62th overall for Habs. But yeah i'm happy with Lane Hutson.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
People are really praising this kid in his thread on the Prospects board. It's always nice to hear about what we have to look forward to, from those who can watch them locally.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest

Best thing in this tweet is the 2nd reply:

3 years?? This has to be a joke right? He hasn’t even played a single game in the nhl??? These types of contracts should go towards real players that will help us now!! This is the most embarrassing moment of this franchise’s long history and it’s not even close. Cmon hakstol!!!

I thought it was sarcasm being used to make a clever joke as first, but it seems to be a legitimate grievance from a new fan, in which case, the post is pure gold.

Also love that the poster blames Hakstol for the signing.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Best thing in this tweet is the 2nd reply:

3 years?? This has to be a joke right? He hasn’t even played a single game in the nhl??? These types of contracts should go towards real players that will help us now!! This is the most embarrassing moment of this franchise’s long history and it’s not even close. Cmon hakstol!!!

I thought it was sarcasm being used to make a clever joke as first, but it seems to be a legitimate grievance from a new fan, in which case, the post is pure gold.

Also love that the poster blames Hakstol for the signing.
Also, note that this is the worst moment in the franchise's "long history".

Reactions: Irie

rsteen

Oct 1, 2022
I'm hoping that tweet is a copypasta, the user seems to tweet about different NHL teams so probably just a tired joke.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad