Prospect Info: David Farrance, D, 92nd Overall, USNTDP

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
Well it worked out great for Vesey didn’t it? :sarcasm:

I agree, trade his rights. If he thinks he’ll be ready to step into a top 4 d role in the NHL after playing college hockey, fine. He may find the reality a little different.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
The guy had his season cut short due to corona virus and just said he wants to go back and try to win for his senior year.
Now everyone gets that he isn’t going to sign here because of that? Did I miss something?

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
The guy had his season cut short due to corona virus and just said he wants to go back and try to win for his senior year.
Now everyone gets that he isn’t going to sign here because of that? Did I miss something?
Yeah the fact he will be a free agent at the end of it apparently.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Well, there's nothing certain either way in terms of his intentions as far as we would know. But if I was in his shoes... you get the same money pretty much no matter where you sign with the ELC max. So just by waiting a few months you can additionally:
a) pick whatever city best suits you for personal reasons
b) pick a team which may have more immediate NHL opportunity
c) pick a team which doesn't already have Josi and Ekholm on LD
d) pick a team with Friend/Coach/Etc contacts

... I mean once you get within that last few months, there are certainly a lot of "pros" to waiting it out just a little bit longer. But we still do have the ace in the hole of being able to offer:
e) a chance to play immediately in the NHL in March/April 2021 and burn an ELC year right away

So I wouldn't give up hope... e) is certainly a very significant factor. We'll just have to wait and see if it's enough to override the other ones. I'd be cautiously optimistic that it might.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Does anyone happen to know what percentage of drafted players leave as free agents after all four years? The only ones I really remember doing it are Vesey and Blake Wheeler, but I'm sure there are several others. Out of those how many of them actually developed into impact players?Maybe I'm forgetting some big names, but it seems to me that most of the time that four year NCAA players rarely actually become much.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Does anyone happen to know what percentage of drafted players leave as free agents after all four years? The only ones I really remember doing it are Vesey and Blake Wheeler, but I'm sure there are several others. Out of those how many of them actually developed into impact players?Maybe I'm forgetting some big names, but it seems to me that most of the time that four year NCAA players rarely actually become much.
I would imagine most of the ones who "leave" aren't exactly doing it as their own choice... their teams just don't want to sign them. But Chase Priskie was one last year iirc who left the Caps to experience that big free agent world tour and ultimately choose Carolina. A case like John Marino, I guess he made it known he was going to go that way, so Edmonton traded him right away and he signed with Pittsburgh before ever playing out that senior year?

Anyway, I think the draw of that immediate money and NHL action in March/April should be a pretty strong lure for most players. It wouldn't stop me as a GM from going after a Dillon/Edmundson type on D in this summer's UFA period, if the cap allowed it. The first priority is still strengthening the team for the coming season. But having LD filled up also wouldn't stop me from offering Farrance a contract and playing time immediately once his BU season ends next year either. Can do both. The expansion draft may have something to do with things this summer.

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee

Vesey doesn't sign with us, signs with the Rangers.

Blake Wheeler doesn't sign with the Coyotes (after going 5th overall), signs with Boston.

Adam Fox refused to sign with the Flames, so he was traded to the Rangers.

Alex Kerfoot refused to sign with New Jersey, signed with the Avs instead.

Will Butcher didn't signed with the Avs, signed with New Jersey instead.

Kevin Hayes refused to sign with Chicago, signed with the Rangers instead.

Edit:

Also Chase Priskie, like NNCbama said, who did not sign with the Caps and signed with Carolina instead.

And John Marino, who could not come to terms with the Oilers and so was traded to the Pens who signed him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Predsanddead24

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
From a players standpoint the draft holds them captive. They must go to the team that selects them.
All kids are happy to be drafted but we must know they are all sitting anxiously awaiting to be drafted by one of their favorite teams. But they have to go where chosen for basically a set salary.
This college loophole allows a player to gain a measure of control. Especially if they are having a good career and their performance gains them more recognition.
Thus Farrance has opportunity to choose his team if they are interested in him. That could be Nashville or not. This is not a slam on Nashville but just a unique situation. Money is only a factor if the player envisions better opportunity to advance in their career faster in a specified franchise.
Nashville is currently more limited for Dmen. The top 4 appear to be taken for awhile. Why wouldn’t a good college Dman having a great career thus far leave this option open? Only fear of injury or a strong belief that they can quickly advance to bigger money in their draft city. Of course, that could be their dream city but that’s probably rare.
So Farrance has apparently made his decision. He likely thinks he cannot be a 1,2,3 or 4 quickly in Nashville. Looks like he’s gone.
I hate this draft loophole because the draft basically saved hockey and this has to be closed in the next agreement.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Vesey doesn't sign with us, signs with the Rangers.

Blake Wheeler doesn't sign with the Coyotes (after going 5th overall), signs with Boston.

Adam Fox refused to sign with the Flames, so he was traded to the Rangers.

Alex Kerfoot refused to sign with New Jersey, signed with the Avs instead.

Will Butcher didn't signed with the Avs, signed with New Jersey instead.

Kevin Hayes refused to sign with Chicago, signed with the Rangers instead.

Edit:

Also Chase Priskie, like NNCbama said, who did not sign with the Caps and signed with Carolina instead.

And John Marino, who could not come to terms with the Oilers and so was traded to the Pens who signed him.

More than I remembered for sure. Do you happen to know any four year NCAA players that stayed with the team that drafted them? I'm mostly wondering is playing your fourth year basically saying you're going UFA or is it more like a 50/50 chance.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I wonder if it's really that much of a "loophole", though. I mean, all drafted players' rights expire if you don't sign the player. In fact, if you don't sign a junior or players from some European leagues, they actually could become free agents a lot earlier than players who spend 4 years in college. It's just that prominent junior prospects don't ever seem to go that route. But they could.

Reactions: barriers

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
More than I remembered for sure. Do you happen to know any four year NCAA players that stayed with the team that drafted them? I'm mostly wondering is playing your fourth year basically saying you're going UFA or is it more like a 50/50 chance.
Without making a list or looking anything up, I'd say it's better than 50/50 that players stay. I mean, most of them are not particularly notable prospects, and the plan all along for many later-drafted players in going the NCAA route is to play all 4 years and develop. For most players it never really becomes any kind of circus, they just quietly sign at the end of their 4th year. If I was just WAGing it, I'd say upwards of 80% who make it to Year 4 still just sign with the team that has their rights. :dunno:

Reactions: Predsanddead24

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Yeah the fact he will be a free agent at the end of it apparently.

Vesey has ruined us as far as college prospects go. Here's the facts. If hes good enough to get a pro contract, he will have a chance to sign one with the Preds 5 months earlier than anyone else. If he passes up on that opportunity, so be it but it's not like hes the next Josi...

Reactions: NNCbama

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Vesey has ruined us as far as college prospects go. Here's the facts. If hes good enough to get a pro contract, he will have a chance to sign one with the Preds 5 months earlier than anyone else. If he passes up on that opportunity, so be it but it's not like hes the next Josi...
He's gonna get a contract either way, 5 months makes little difference. In that position I'm waiting and going where I want. It's still a lost asset, next Josi or not.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Kealty had a comment on Bratten's twitter acount, not unlike what you'd expect him to say, but did say they felt very good about Farrance, had a good relationship, respected his decision to return, and still felt strongly he'd be on the team next spring.

I'll say his decisions isn't surprising to me with all the questions marks COVID-19 has brought up for off season and completing the NHL year.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Here's the thing, there's nothing to say the season won't continue, someone or someones may get hurt and they call him and say, hey, we've got a slot for you and he takes the offer. This has been a strange time and nothing would surprise me at this point.

Reactions: Flgatorguy87

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Obviously, he would have a spot if he's good enough and after next season he could have a shot in the top-4 if Ekholm goes to Seattle.

I think he just wants to take the easy route and go somewhere else where he can get the top-4 spot right away. Here, he'd have to work for it.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Do you happen to know any four year NCAA players that stayed with the team that drafted them? I'm mostly wondering is playing your fourth year basically saying you're going UFA or is it more like a 50/50 chance.

I'm certain there are more but in looking quickly, Vesey's Harvard teammate Sean Malone (who is from Buffalo) signed with the Sabres and made his NHL debut following his senior season.

Ironically, that was the only NHL game he played to date and after spending the two years of his ELC with the Rochester Americans he skated last season on an AHL deal with the Amerks.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Well, there's nothing certain either way in terms of his intentions as far as we would know. But if I was in his shoes... you get the same money pretty much no matter where you sign with the ELC max. So just by waiting a few months you can additionally:
a) pick whatever city best suits you for personal reasons
b) pick a team which may have more immediate NHL opportunity
c) pick a team which doesn't already have Josi and Ekholm on LD
d) pick a team with Friend/Coach/Etc contacts
d) is the Nashville Predators (unless he hated Harper or Fabbro)

He is gone BTW. Poile should just find out from Dante Fabbro what his favorite team is and trade him there for a 2nd, 3rd or whatever and move on.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
How's the next NCAA season looking? Do our chances at signing Farrance improve now that we know the next season doesn't start until December and probably runs through June as well? He could burn a year from his ELC and essentially play almost the whole season, depending on how the NCAA season is scheduled.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
How's the next NCAA season looking? Do our chances at signing Farrance improve now that we know the next season doesn't start until December and probably runs through June as well? He could burn a year from his ELC and essentially play almost the whole season, depending on how the NCAA season is scheduled.

So far, games are cancelled till January. So, it sounds like IF there are game it will be conference only.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Given that next season will likely run into August, you wonder if that will affect the UFA date for unsigned college graduates.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Given that next season will likely run into August, you wonder if that will affect the UFA date for unsigned college graduates.
Oh it will, and they will push Farrance along correspondingly. So he should probably have signed with us today, as it turns out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->