Prospect Info: David Farrance, D, 92nd Overall, USNTDP

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
But Ellis is a right handed defenseman and farrance is a left handed defenseman so a left handed defenseman would have to go to make room. Did Fabbro and Farrance ever play on the same pairing?

just for the record I don’t think it would wise to trade Ekholm but if farrance does look good you’d have to imagine that could be an option. And you could get a good haul for him
I mention Ekholm because #1) He's going to have only 1 year left going into the expansion draft #2) He's going to be 32 going into his next contract.

I don't really want to trade him but giving him a big contract is gonna be dicey and i think Poile is probably reconsidering all the big contracts he's given out recently.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Ekholm will be an interesting one to see what his next contract is. He'll be 32 when this current contract ends, but he's also the type of guy that's game should age pretty well. Would someone be willing to give him 7 years? Having to give him that term makes me nervous, but I'd probably prefer that risk to letting Ellis play his contract out with us. Ultimately, I do think one of them has to be moved long term unless Ekholm gives us another very team friendly deal. Still a year and a half to let it play out before any big decisions need to be made I'd think though.
Another thing to think of is that when he comes due, most of our "core" will be nearing the end of what is typically considered "Prime" years. Josi and Ellis will be 32, Joey 29, Duchene 31 going on 32, Turris 32, RV 28, Jarnkrok 30, Forsberg will be the youngest at 27 + whatever younger players come along. I just don't think it's smart to commit as much money and term as it's going to take and have that much cap tied into half the dgroup into their late 30s

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I see plenty of Hypothetical comments on prospects in here. This is just the same. It’s if he comes in here and shows out what would you do type stuff
Similar to how fabbro came in and made poile feel like subban was expendable. It’s possible... likely? Probably not but he’s looking good right now in college

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Similar to how fabbro came in and made poile feel like subban was expendable. It’s possible... likely? Probably not but he’s looking good right now in college
While that might have been our hope at the time, I think we've seen that in fact it was really more like Subban (his health and his contract) made Subban expendable.

Fabbro has done ok, but for sure we've missed having the old Subban in our top 4 and there's no way Fabbro has come even close to replacing him. But - what Poile secretly knew - there was no way that the current Subban could have replaced the old Subban either. So even patching in a semi-ready kid straight out of college was as good a band-aid as anything else.

I don't think the same can be said for Ekholm or Josi. If Fabbro was coming in on LD today he wouldn't be making any of those guys expendable. They aren't falling apart the way it turned out Subban was.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
While that might have been our hope at the time, I think we've seen that in fact it was really more like Subban (his health and his contract) made Subban expendable.

Fabbro has done ok, but for sure we've missed having the old Subban in our top 4 and there's no way Fabbro has come even close to replacing him. But - what Poile secretly knew - there was no way that the current Subban could have replaced the old Subban either. So even patching in a semi-ready kid straight out of college was as good a band-aid as anything else.

I don't think the same can be said for Ekholm or Josi. If Fabbro was coming in on LD today he wouldn't be making any of those guys expendable. They aren't falling apart the way it turned out Subban was.
This is likely true. No one is gonna just come in and make Josi expendable. Though I will say at the time that suter left, I thought our lhd group was gonna take a while to rebuild. Then Josi came in and two years later had me very glad we didn’t waste the cap space on suter.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
I mention Ekholm because #1) He's going to have only 1 year left going into the expansion draft #2) He's going to be 32 going into his next contract.

I don't really want to trade him but giving him a big contract is gonna be dicey and i think Poile is probably reconsidering all the big contracts he's given out recently.
The big contracts and the mileage being put on the players all but guarantees that the Preds are going to have to start leaning on younger players sooner rather than later. That's sports.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Hey guys, correct me if I’m wrong but can we not sign Farrance to a contract now anytime?
I’m hoping to hear some good news in regards to him soon,

Reactions: Flgatorguy87

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
The Jets just signed their 2017 2nd round pick Dylan Samberg from College.

Still waiting on Farrance.. how long do we have his rights?

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Gonezo.

They have to close that loophole or we just shouldn't draft college kids anymore. I'm sick of this shit.

Last edited:
Reactions: NoNecksCurse

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I'm not inclined to fall into the Vesey-despair like some are. But unless you know Farrance personally, it's pretty much impossible to read anything into it. There are pros and cons, and his true intentions will remain inscrutable to the fanbase right up until next spring.

Contractually, the way things have turned out with him being unable to sign and burn an ELC year this spring, there's really not a lot of incentive for him to sign right now. He can burn the same year by signing next spring and be in the same boat contractually. So if he really is enjoying his college lifestyle and wants to finish his degree, it makes sense. It doesn't mean he has to be angling for free agency.

Although some of the wording about winning a national championship seems a bit over the top. BU was a mediocre team this season, and losing Harper, Zegras, Curry, some others isn't likely to leave them any more competitive next season. Isn't it more like the years after when they have some of the USNDTP guys coming in? Anyway, I'm not aware of any reason to think the Terriers are considered to be contenders next season. But as a bit more of a scholastic player, and a Hobey Baker contender himself, he does have ample personal incentive to explore his options.

I'm not sure it would be great developmentally for him. On the one hand, he was already "too good" for the league, so he's not going to be pushed. On the other hand, I suppose he will just play an even bigger role, get huge icetime, be the new captain, things like that. So it might not be so bad.

Although if he does win a Hobey Baker and have a huge season, all the more opportunity for him to write his own ticket next summer. Once all the jockeying for the expansion draft is over, he may be able to zero in on a place that maximizes his immediate NHL opportunity. It totally makes sense just to wait that out, I guess. I would not blame him one bit.

Reactions: Predsanddead24

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
His stock has risen a lot since being drafted. From his standpoint it makes a lot of sense to become a UFA and go to the highest bidder with an opportunity to play 2nd pairing.

Here he's going to be behind Josi and Ekholm which slows his development and thus his earning potential.

Can't blame him personally, but after being burned twice I'd be hesitant to draft a college player in the first 3 rounds unless it's a stud lottery pick.

Hopefully it's just paranoia and Farrance signs with us after his senior season.

Last edited:

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I'm not inclined to fall into the Vesey-despair like some are. But unless you know Farrance personally, it's pretty much impossible to read anything into it. There are pros and cons, and his true intentions will remain inscrutable to the fanbase right up until next spring.

Yeah if he doesn't sign at the end at the end of next season that's when it would actually become concerning to me that he may be leaving. I can imagine that the missed opportunity to try and win a national or even conference championship as an upperclassman this year probably played heavily into his decision.

Here he's going to be behind Josi and Ekholm which slows his development and this his earning potential.

Valid point and I wonder if part of this is him wanting to see how the expansion draft situation play outs. There is a pretty good chance that a defenseman is traded prior to it, and in my opinion it's likely Ekholm because he's not signed long term. I can't imagine that at this point as a defenseman you would want to be developed by any team other than us, but as you said if there is no room on the depth chart it's probably a bad career move for him to come here.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I think he'd get a good look here if he would be ready for an NHL gig, it's not about that. I think Ekholm might be gone after next year, especially in that scenario where Farrance would come here and replace him. Yeah, he's going to be behind Josi in the depth chart but we're not even sure Farrance becomes an NHL'er here.

Depending on who we decide to protect in the expansion draft, he'd have a good chance to become the 3rd/4th defenseman as early as 2021-2022. Next season would've been good for him and he could've gotten the bottom pair spot.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Valid point and I wonder if part of this is him wanting to see how the expansion draft situation play outs. There is a pretty good chance that a defenseman is traded prior to it, and in my opinion it's likely Ekholm because he's not signed long term. I can't imagine that at this point as a defenseman you would want to be developed by any team other than us, but as you said if there is no room on the depth chart it's probably a bad career move for him to come here.
And I wouldn't be particularly inclined to make or hold a spot for him here either. If we can sign Ekholm to a good deal, sign Ekholm. If we can further improve our team in the meantime via free agency, do it. Farrance isn't here, he's not a factor in any of that thinking. I don't know if Tinordi will pan out long-term, but our defense still needs a little improvement. If signing an Edmundson or Dillon became a possibility, I wouldn't be thinking about how it impacted Farrance, it would purely be an attempt to improve our team in the most immediate term. Fair enough on both sides, I say.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->