Prospect Info: David Farrance, D, 92nd Overall, USNTDP

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box

what a play.

Sorta weird that no Finn even approached him until the offensive blue line, then three Finns came together and kinda took each other out. Makes for a great highlight but am I wrong in thinking that other than finishing the rush with a score, he didn't really have to do much work on that?

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
Sorta weird that no Finn even approached him until the offensive blue line, then three Finns came together and kinda took each other out. Makes for a great highlight but am I wrong in thinking that other than finishing the rush with a score, he didn't really have to do much work on that?
yep the defense on the play literally were napping

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Stinks that he's not a more highly regarded prospect so we don't hear a lot from him. Does he plan to finish school, or is there a chance that he's a contender for the Preds 3rd pair next season?

It would be a familiar role for him skating behind Fabbro and we have Hamhuis, Weber and Irwin all expiring this summer.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I've been following BU hockey twitter for several years now as they are pretty active and have owned several of our prospects. Farrance seems to be on a really nice development line. He's playing top pairing in all situations this year. That's a team that's loaded every year with prospects so the middle draft picks are just another name there that still have to earn their time.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Ferrance probably going the Vesey route just because

Not sure why youd say that. If hes that good I suspect Poile offers him a contract this spring. With us set to lose Hamhuis, Weber, and Irwin(I think?) we will likely be looking for someone to step in or else fill a spot in Milwaukee

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Not sure why youd say that. If hes that good I suspect Poile offers him a contract this spring. With us set to lose Hamhuis, Weber, and Irwin(I think?) we will likely be looking for someone to step in or else fill a spot in Milwaukee

Plus he has history with Fabbro, I don't see any reason he wouldn't come here. Sucks that Vesey has spooked us so bad regarding NCAA prospects.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I don't think he's good enough for us yet, but I think he's good enough to move to the AHL. This has been a big development year for him but patience is the key.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Any chance poile trying to get Farrance signed and to Nashville after Boston’s season is done. He seems to be tearing it up in Boston and would like to see what he can do on the nhl level to possibly take hammers spot next year

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Any chance poile trying to get Farrance signed and to Nashville after Boston’s season is done. He seems to be tearing it up in Boston and would like to see what he can do on the nhl level to possibly take hammers spot next year
I hope it's basically a slam dunk. After the season he's having, I don't see any reason Farrance wouldn't be ready to go pro. I guess he hasn't drawn the attention before this like Fabbro did because he wasn't a 1st pick. But he's in exactly the same spot experience-wise and performance-wise, so he should get the carpet rolled out for him exactly the same way. Jump straight here for a cameo once BU's season is done and burn that year.

The only slight difference is that I think we have more players in the mix than just him for a roster spot next season. He probably can't expect the same immediate NHL job as a rookie that Fabbro got. He could still earn it. Just he'll have to fend off others now (Davies, Tinordi seems to be pushing, etc). :dunno:

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
If he goes the Fabbro route, I could see him getting a legit shot to fit in the third pairing. He's really taken a big step after his lackluster Sophmore year.

For comparison,

Fabbro - Junior Year
7G 26A 33P in 38 games. +/- was a -3 and 39 PIM

Farrance - Junior Year (so far)
12G 20A 32P in 25 games. +/- is +8 with 14 PIM

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I hope it's basically a slam dunk. After the season he's having, I don't see any reason Farrance wouldn't be ready to go pro. I guess he hasn't drawn the attention before this like Fabbro did because he wasn't a 1st pick. But he's in exactly the same spot experience-wise and performance-wise, so he should get the carpet rolled out for him exactly the same way. Jump straight here for a cameo once BU's season is done and burn that year.

The only slight difference is that I think we have more players in the mix than just him for a roster spot next season. He probably can't expect the same immediate NHL job as a rookie that Fabbro got. He could still earn it. Just he'll have to fend off others now (Davies, Tinordi seems to be pushing, etc). :dunno:
If someone like Farrance steps in and looks ready for 2nd pairing mintues, i could see Ekholm getting traded heading into the expansion draft.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Maybe Ellis. I just don't see how you trade away the only size we have at D that is a legit top 3 in the NHL.
But Ellis is a right handed defenseman and farrance is a left handed defenseman so a left handed defenseman would have to go to make room. Did Fabbro and Farrance ever play on the same pairing?

just for the record I don’t think it would wise to trade Ekholm but if farrance does look good you’d have to imagine that could be an option. And you could get a good haul for him

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
But Ellis is a right handed defenseman and farrance is a left handed defenseman so a left handed defenseman would have to go to make room. Did Fabbro and Farrance ever play on the same pairing?
I don't think you build a roster specifically on "handedness" of the players. Ekholm is playing on the right side right now and doing fine. He's actually been pushed over to the right side off and on in his time here. 6' 4" 215# and legit top 3, maybe 2, NHL veteran is a lot more important.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Please just give us 3 good defense pairs. I don't want to fall into the trap again of thinking we only need X (< 6) number of good defensemen. If Farrance is good enough to play top 4 right away - which I very highly doubt, since Fabbro basically isn't - then all the better... for the quality of our 3rd pair. We should not go around trading away any of our top defensemen to make room. We've made that mistake a few times already. :mad:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I don't think you build a roster specifically on "handedness" of the players. Ekholm is playing on the right side right now and doing fine. He's actually been pushed over to the right side off and on in his time here. 6' 4" 215# and legit top 3, maybe 2, NHL veteran is a lot more important.
Chalk this up as another of Hynes' positive adjustments, btw. Lavy would never think of moving those D around and using them the way Hynes has.

Reactions: nine_inch_fang

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
I guess you’re right I keep forgetting that Ekholm is playing right side right now and it would hurt more to lose Ekholm. Yea I would trade Ellis instead of Ekholm if the case presents itself. Ellis could bring us back some good young forwards. So if farrance plays well and sticks you go with

josi-Fabbro
Farrance- Ekholm
Tinordi- Carrier/some ufa

we also become a younger defensive core

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Ekholm will be an interesting one to see what his next contract is. He'll be 32 when this current contract ends, but he's also the type of guy that's game should age pretty well. Would someone be willing to give him 7 years? Having to give him that term makes me nervous, but I'd probably prefer that risk to letting Ellis play his contract out with us. Ultimately, I do think one of them has to be moved long term unless Ekholm gives us another very team friendly deal. Still a year and a half to let it play out before any big decisions need to be made I'd think though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->