Signing(s): David Culley is the Texans next HC

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I don't know why anyone would hire a 65 year old with no head coaching experience. You should be hiring a coach hoping for a Tomlin/Payton/Harbaugh type who can spend 10+ years with the team unless it's an absolute stud like Belichick or Reid.

It just seems like a really weird fit all-around, but you'd have to think someone like Bieniemy didn't want to be there.

Judging by the videos on the Ravens YT, he seems like a really good and likable guy. But that being said, bring on the comp picks.

Reactions: Terry Yake

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I don't know why anyone would hire a 65 year old with no head coaching experience. You should be hiring a coach hoping for a Tomlin/Payton/Harbaugh type who can spend 10+ years with the team unless it's an absolute stud like Belichick or Reid.

It just seems like a really weird fit all-around, but you'd have to think someone like Bieniemy didn't want to be there.

Judging by the videos on the Ravens YT, he seems like a really good and likable guy. But that being said, bring on the comp picks.

no 1st round pick for a team that went 4-12 with a star QB publicly unhappy, kind of pares down the field a good deal. This is why I said Bill O’Brien created his own job security, no top candidate would want the job without a huge contract. As a result they got a guy who I bet was once resigned to never being a head coach and won’t be around long anyways.

Reactions: Josepho

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
So the Texans hire what many consider to be the worst coach on the Ravens staff, the guy their franchise QB probably didn't want AND they have to give up 3rd round picks?

That franchise is so ****ed

Also at this point i'm fully convinced Bieniemy is just a really bad interview and/or teams want nothing to do with his baggage.

Edit: Apparently he was also the Chiefs WR coach the year their entire WR core finished with 0 TD which is just...lol

Last edited:

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
So the Texans hire what many consider to be the worst coach on the Ravens staff, the guy their franchise QB probably didn't want AND they have to give up 3rd round picks?

Yeah the guy was the Passing game coord/ WR coach of the worst passing team in the league, he's clearly just a stopgap, probably be lucky to make it thru 2 years

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Yawn, guess teams should try Marvin and Romeo again... Same with Frazier and Bowles. Bieniemy probably didnt want the Texans job, though there are questions about his past and apparently doesnt interview well.

Hot take but Marvin isn't that bad of a coach.

His playoff resume is obviously dubious but the guy doesn't get enough credit for helping turn the Bengals into a decent franchise again. That deserves respect given how putrid they were for all of the 90s and Mike Brown being a dingus of an owner.

Would much rather give him a shot over someone like Bowles or Romeo.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town

His playoff resume is obviously dubious but the guy doesn't get enough credit for helping turn the Bengals into a decent franchise again. That deserves respect given how putrid they were for all of the 90s and Mike Brown being a dingus of an owner.

I dont disagree with you about Marvin. If your organization is a mess and you are just trying to achieve some competence, it would be a good hire. I actually think a situation for like the Texans is a good fit for him. But after 5 years or so with numerous playoff embarrassments he would have an expiration date. If you want a coach to compete/win a Super Bowl, it is not him.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I dont disagree with you about Marvin. If your organization is a mess and you are just trying to achieve some competence, it would be a good hire. I actually think a situation for like the Texans is a good fit for him. But after 5 years or so with numerous playoff embarrassments he would have an expiration date. If you want a coach to compete/win a Super Bowl, it is not him.

That's exactly what i was thinking. I thought Jacksonville would be a good fit too before they hired Meyer. I also agree Houston as they are now is a good fit.

Maybe there's the off chance he figures it out in the playoffs. If not, bid him farewell and thank him for dragging your sadsack franchise out of the abyss.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

Coach A
131-122-3 (.518) with 0-7 playoff record

Coach B
66-46 (.589) with 1-4 playoff record

Coach C
52-48 (.520) with 2-4 playoff record

If Coach A isn't a bad coach then surely Coach B and Coach C are not bad head coaches and deserve 2nd jobs , Right?

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
culley isn't a "bad coach" by any means. yes, the ravens passing game sucks. but i wouldn't put that all on culley. that offense is set up to do nothing but run. also doesn't help that lamar has yet to have a legit #1 WR to throw to

but this hire doesn't make sense at all because like others have mentioned, the guy is 65 years old and you'd think they would want to hire someone young who can guide them through a rebuild. you hire a guy like culley when you're at the tail end of a rebuild and getting ready to contend again as a stopgap. as for bienemy, i'm sure he said hell no to this job and rightfully so

assuming watson is dealt this offseason, they have a legit shot at going 0-16 next season

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Also at this point i'm fully convinced Bieniemy is just a really bad interview and/or teams want nothing to do with his baggage.

Edit: Apparently he was also the Chiefs WR coach the year their entire WR core finished with 0 TD which is just...lol
The picks come from the league

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Hiring actually makes sense because no one wanted this job to begin with.

Few draft picks and Watson wants out. Thus you end up with a 65-year old lame duck coach. Can't blame him for taking the payday.

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad