David Clarkson's Career Likely Finished with Degenerative Back Injury.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
http://www.dispatch.com/sports/20170214/blue-jackets--david-clarkson-staring-at-harsh-reality

There are days, David Clarkson said, where he plays with his three young kids or skates with a local high school team, and his back gives him a glimmer of hope that an NHL comeback is possible.

But then there are days — like the one just three weeks ago — when the 32-year-old feels so far away from pulling a Blue Jackets jersey over his head.

"I literally couldn't get out of bed," Clarkson said. "I couldn't move. My wife had to call the docs and I laid there and waited for the muscle relaxers to kick in before I could start the day."

Clarkson came to the Blue Jackets in a 2015 trade deadline deal that sent Nathan Horton to the Toronto Maple Leafs. Now both players are likely finished with their careers because of the same ailment: degeneration of the lower spine. Clarkson played through a stiff back for years, both with the Devils and Leafs.

There's some real sad quotes in this piece. I recommend you read it and get to feel for Clarkson the person. This is very similar to the piece the Dispatch did with Nathan Horton a few years ago.

Also, since it will be asked by people who won't read:

Don't expect Clarkson to retire, even if he knows he can't play again. NHL contracts are guaranteed, and his runs through the 2019-20 season.

By now Clarkson's insurance is picking up the tab for most of his salary. If his situation remains unchanged, the Jackets will be on the hook for only 20 percent of his remaining salary each season: $1.4 million in 2017-18, $950,000 in 2018-19 and $650,000 in 2019-20. His $5.25 million salary cap hit will still count, but only until he's placed on the long-term injury list once the season starts.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
I recently injured my back and it's been a big struggle even though it was a relatively minor sprain. It gave me a lot of appreciation for what players like Clarkson have to go through for potentially the rest of their lives. Hopefully he has some improvement for the sake of his quality of life.

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
Powerful article. What a first-class organization. Praying for all the best for David Clarkson and his family. Sounds like a good man with his charity and his volunteering, though it must be pretty hard to deal with the back degeneration and not being able to play.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
If he'd been playing through a stiff back for years, it's probably why his play dropped off so sharply. He was never going to be a consistent 30 goal guy, but even the player he was before that crazy year seemed like a distant memory by the time he got traded.

He was a great Devil. Hope this injury doesn't effect him for the rest of his life.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I've been making jokes about him ever since he signed in Toronto and loved playing the '' David Clarkson makes more than ( Mike Cammalleri or insert another random player that's better than him), can you actually believe that?'' game. And while I don't think he was ever worth that contract Toronto gave him and said it well before he signed it, I think this might explain his sudden and vast drop off. And now that it appears he had this ailment going back to his Devils days, his 30 goal season and the fact that he got all those goals from actually having possession of the puck to shoot it so many times, might not have been the fluke that I had thought it was for years. He probably could have been a perennial 20 goal guy, if not for this. So because of that, I'll never make fun of him again for his play from 10 games into the lockout season onward. It looks like the explanation to it all is right here.

He represented the Devils with pure class and always had the nicest things to say about Lou and the organization, both when he was still there and after he left. He's also one of the feel good underdog stories with the way he got into the league and I know he appreciated his time in the NHL more than almost anyone. He also seemed to be the most fan friendly player we had for a while and I remember stories about him and Stephen Gionta being the only players to stay behind and sign for everyone on their way out of the building, after an ugly home game blowout loss, and that he would always sign every night. I'm glad he got to live the dream and played for his hometown team, even if things didn't end how he envisioned and he has a 30 goal NHL season to his name.

I sincerely wish him the best and now feel bad for any bad thing I said about him in the past 3-4 years and laughing at his decline, as I figured his good year was a complete fluke and he just wasn't really that good. Now we know that he hasn't been 100% since that 11-12 season that he scored 30 goals. I just feel terrible for the guy. It sucks when you can't leave the game (or any that you love doing) on your own accord, but the most important thing is he has his health for the rest of his life and at 32, he's just getting started.:nod:

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
This is why I don't begrudge fringe players that go for the money. Undrafted, put up meh stats as a 20 year in the OHL, played 2 years in the minors and then broke through. He had 2 goods years and then his hometown team came calling looking to pay him big bucks.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If he'd been playing through a stiff back for years, it's probably why his play dropped off so sharply. He was never going to be a consistent 30 goal guy, but even the player he was before that crazy year seemed like a distant memory by the time he got traded.

He was a great Devil. Hope this injury doesn't effect him for the rest of his life.
I think he would have been a perennial 20 goal guy into his 30's, if this hadn't happened to him. It's sad to think about. He scored at a 20 goal pace in 09-10, just wound up being injured and not playing all 82 games. He had a pretty good season in 08-09, which was his second full NHL season. 32 points and 17 goals as a 24 year old that was never drafted. He was a very good 4th liner in his first full season and scored 21 points.

Took a step back in 10-11, but was mostly playing with Adam Mair on the 4th line and I don't even remember what other bum he was playing with on that team that year.

It's sad when guys like him, Clowe and Horton have to hang them up so early and not on their own terms. While they weren't exactly young guys in hockey anymore, they're in their early 30's and that's still a young man in my eyes. Their health is the most important thing and they have plenty of life left to live and it's important for them and their family that they do this with their health intact.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Knowing the pain of a back injury first hand, I feel for what Clarkson is going through. That really sucks and I hope he can get well enough to live a somewhat normal life.

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006
I hate seeing guys go down like this, but I have to admit, everytime I hear one of these stories, it really puts what Mario did into perspective. I can't help but wish I could hear what Clarkson and other guys with these degenerative spine issues, think of ol' 66, now that they have first-hand knowledge of that particular kind of pain.

leburn98

Jan 28, 2013
Didn't they trade for him because they wanted someone to actually pay for the money they were spending?

Yep, although in hindsight I still think that Columbus would do the deal. Would rather pay Clarkson 1.4m to not play than Horton 5m plus to do the same.

Crazy how him and Nathan Horton ended up with similar ailments.

On the same team no less. I'm not normally a superstitious dude but I would probably stay clear of Columbus.:laugh:

Last edited:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Hated Clarkson as a Devil and laughed at him as a Leaf. This is sad, though, and I hope his quality of life improves. Never want to see a guy suffer.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Good article.

For the man himself: that is absolutely awful. Quality of life is important and it totally sucks that he is going through this. With young kids to boot. If I couldnt get out of bed to play with my wee one's, Id be miserable.

For the career: I mean, not shocking. The guys career was over .. what .. 3 years ago?

Still .. such a shame. He seems like a good guy as well.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
I've been making jokes about him ever since he signed in Toronto and loved playing the '' David Clarkson makes more than ( Mike Cammalleri or insert another random player that's better than him), can you actually believe that?'' game. And while I don't think he was ever worth that contract Toronto gave him and said it well before he signed it, I think this might explain his sudden and vast drop off. And now that it appears he had this ailment going back to his Devils days, his 30 goal season and the fact that he got all those goals from actually having possession of the puck to shoot it so many times, might not have been the fluke that I had thought it was for years. He probably could have been a perennial 20 goal guy, if not for this. So because of that, I'll never make fun of him again for his play from 10 games into the lockout season onward. It looks like the explanation to it all is right here.

He represented the Devils with pure class and always had the nicest things to say about Lou and the organization, both when he was still there and after he left. He's also one of the feel good underdog stories with the way he got into the league and I know he appreciated his time in the NHL more than almost anyone. He also seemed to be the most fan friendly player we had for a while and I remember stories about him and Stephen Gionta being the only players to stay behind and sign for everyone on their way out of the building, after an ugly home game blowout loss, and that he would always sign every night. I'm glad he got to live the dream and played for his hometown team, even if things didn't end how he envisioned and he has a 30 goal NHL season to his name.

I sincerely wish him the best and now feel bad for any bad thing I said about him in the past 3-4 years and laughing at his decline, as I figured his good year was a complete fluke and he just wasn't really that good. Now we know that he hasn't been 100% since that 11-12 season that he scored 30 goals. I just feel terrible for the guy. It sucks when you can't leave the game (or any that you love doing) on your own accord, but the most important thing is he has his health for the rest of his life and at 32, he's just getting started.:nod:

Here here.

Clarkson is a good dude, he didn't deserve the hand he was dealt, but that is just the nature of the beast.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad