David Clarkson

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
the comment I saw on it, was if he's on LTIR for more than 60 games, he's exempt from the expansion draft list so we wouldn't have to use a protection spot on him

I read another thing that you can only place a player on LTIR if it prevents you from going over the cap, otherwise it's just normal IR - have no idea if that's true or even makes any sense.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
the comment I saw on it, was if he's on LTIR for more than 60 games, he's exempt from the expansion draft list so we wouldn't have to use a protection spot on him

That certainly helps if that is the case.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
I read another thing that you can only place a player on LTIR if it prevents you from going over the cap, otherwise it's just normal IR - have no idea if that's true or even makes any sense.

you can do LTIR i believe, it only helps the cap b/c you can go over the value of that contract...otherwise there's no real help to a club...

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015

I guess if you think about it, this seems just semantics. Let's assume the following facts. You have your roster set the way you want and you are $1 million below the cap and have somebody on IR that has a $5 million cap hit. You are $1 million below the cap.

But you have an opportunity to go sign a guy that has a $4 million cap hit. You sign the guy and you use up your $1 million of remaining space plus $3 million of the $5 million of IR that now becomes classified as LTIR.

theD86

Winging it
Jun 23, 2007
Columbus, Ohio
Depends on what insurance covers. His contract is set up that most of his compensation is guaranteed bonuses each year and small base salary. As others have mentioned it is likely insurance covers salary not bonus. So if we owe him $5M then insurance would pay salary (I'm assuming at 85% or so) but CBJ would still be hook for bonus. So if salary is $1M and Bonus $4M then insurance would pay $850,000 and CBJ would pay $4.15M.
Now the CAP hit would go away if on LTIR so we would have $5.4M in cap relief but the CBJ would still have to pay out (in my example) $4.15M.

It's per Porty. During a chat he had yesterday. I image he has that info

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
I believe that Clarkson's cap hit is still existent until the team spends to the cap ceiling. Once that happens, we get the LTIR relief.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
It's per Porty. During a chat he had yesterday. I image he has that info

Yeah all that I was saying is there is a difference between the cap relief and what team has to pay.
If he goes on LTIR we would pay him $7M this year. $5.25M counts against the cap. And it's likely that $1.7-2M is refunded by insurance (I would guess a 15% deductible but could be $0 or somewhere in between).

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
60644791.jpg

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Clarkson failed the Blue Jackets' physical. "He will be trying to work his way back through rehab, but he has had a rough summer," Jackets president John Davidson said. "He has tried to train all (summer), and he has had real issues with it." At this point it's possible that Clarkson may have played in his last game. Clarkson's contract is insured, which is particularly noteworthy because Nathan Horton's deal was not, creating problems for the Jackets when he sustained a career-ending injury. The Jackets dealt Horton to Toronto in exchange for Clarkson in a deal that essentially bought Toronto cap space and meant that Columbus was at least getting an active player for the money they were already spending. Unfortunately the Blue Jackets have only gotten 26 games out of Clarkson, but at least if he's on the LTIR they're spared of the cash they'd have to pay Clarkson and not just the cap hit, so this is still better than the Horton situation for them.
Source: Columbus Dispatch Sep 22 - 10:03 AM

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Clarkson, for all intents and purposes is probably done.

Chronic back issues just don't go away. I knew a lot of guys on the Fire department that developed back problems due to the nature of the profession. These were almost always disc issues. The doctors always start with rehab, and it goes on a long time, because surgery is not ideal. I do not remember any of these guys getting better with rehab. Many ended up having the surgery, and others just went out on 100% disability.

Your back is pretty much involved in every move that your body makes. If Clarkson hasn't been able to rehab it yet, I just don't see it happening. Could be wrong, but I just don't see it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad