The Sun: David Broll is more than just muscle for Leafs

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://www.torontosun.com/2013/10/14/broll-is-more-than-just-muscle-for-leafs

1297479300206_ORIGINAL.jpg

TORONTO - His nickname is Brolldozer, but David Broll seems to have a little Dave Bolland in him.

Most thought the 235-pound banger from the Soo Greyhounds might pop into the Maple Leafs lineup as an energy winger at some point this season, once he got comfortable in his first year with the Marlies.

But Broll has been pressed into service already and should play his third game in the top-six mix on Tuesday, against the Minnesota Wild.

“I was more labelled as a fourth-line guy,” Broll said Monday after practice at the Air Canada Centre. “But I knew deep down in myself, I could provide more than just a physical (aspect). I have a bit of toughness, but I think I can provide offence, as well. It’s good to be in the top six. It’s mutual success for me and helping the team to win.”

It’s been quite a week for the Mississauga native, who played seven minutes in front of friends and family on Saturday during the overtime win over Edmonton, chipping in with an assist. That was on top of 9:19 and his first big-league fight a couple of nights earlier in Nashville. On Monday, he was signing a room full of sticks and sweaters with his high-profile linemates Joffrey Lupul and Nazem Kadri.

Coach Randy Carlyle called up Broll and Josh Leivo from the Marlies as his depth on wing was shredded by injuries (Nikolai Kulemin, Frazer MacLaren) and suspension (David Clarkson), necessitating Lupul move from right to the left side. Broll filled in, with the button-pushing coach managing his minutes around Bolland and Mason Raymond getting elevated ice time.

“It’s tough to put raw rookies in those prominent positions for extended periods of time,” Carlyle said. “But that’s what happens when you mix and match your lineup. Be it part of the period, part of the game, you do that based on your gut feeling.”

Carlyle’s intuition told him Broll could complement Kadri and Lupul.

“He’s known more for his brawn than his finesse,” Carlyle agreed. “But he’s a really smart guy (17 goals with the Soo last year). He doesn’t make a lot of mistakes with the puck. We’ve asked those kids to keep it simple, get your feet underneath you, get comfortable with the pace of the game. We understand it’s a challenge, but enjoy that challenge.

“We selected you (152nd overall in Broll’s case), we believe in you and want you to continue to grow as a player. You have to take a step forward.”

Last edited:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
He has looked good with Kadri and Lupul. He has a lot of work to do, and a lot to improve, but it looks like he could be more then a 4th line guy for sure.

BlueMapleDawg

Mar 30, 2009
Canada
He's gonna get burned.

A few times he muffed easy D-zone clearing attempts.
And then right after he'd have a defender putting heavy pressure on him and he'd find a way to get it out. Completely baffled me that he could make the hard play and not the easy play.

As long as he's not the reason Lupul and Kadri are getting hemmed in their own zone, he can stay. But he needs to be consistent. Definitely a project player. Can't see him being an NHL regular just yet. Needs to work on his fundamentals.

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
He has looked good with Kadri and Lupul. He has a lot of work to do, and a lot to improve, but it looks like he could be more then a 4th line guy for sure.

I think in a year or two he'll be a mainstay on our 3rd line. Can chip in offensively with a few goals and points, but provide toughness while putting up limited points.

He can skate for a big guy which is huge.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I really like this kid. If anyone in our system surprises a la Lucic, it'll be Broll.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
Omg c'mon...

If he scores 15 in a career high I'd call him a massive success.
Why is it, when people bring up name comparisons people who think its absurd only look at it from skill and never style? The poster isn't saying he'll be as SKILLED as Lucic but STYLE wise he will be. Completely different thing which is what people tend to ignore when they think something is absurd. Even looking at Lucic's totals,he had 2 stellar point seasons and you can make a case for a third in the lockout season. Again, not saying Broll is going to light it up, be the same or better than Lucic but there are some comparisons style wise and not skillwise because as we know Lucic is an established NHL'er

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
I'm pleasantly surprised with Broll so far this year. I had 0 expectations that he'd even sniff the NHL this year but he's held his own quite well so far.

Liking our depth.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Broll won't be much more than what he is. This isn't to say that he won't have a good role with us but the expectations should limited, especially in terms of offence.

For his style and role though, I'd like to see him engage more physically. He should be able to really crush people with his speed and size/strength. I haven't seen many big hits or pesting from him yet.

Leafs have been high on him for awhile, so I'm sure he'll get a lot of chances.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Omg c'mon...

If he scores 15 in a career high I'd call him a massive success.

even if he becomes a regular NHLer that'll be a massive success for a 6th round pick.

but the leafs have drafted a bunch of guys in this mold in the hopes of getting a Lucic type or something resembling that, even dropping a 1st round pick on Biggs for that purpose.....just IMO, Broll has the skating, handsand hockey sense to be the offensive surprise of the bunch.

BlueMapleDawg

Mar 30, 2009
Canada
Why is it, when people bring up name comparisons people who think its absurd only look at it from skill and never style? The poster isn't saying he'll be as SKILLED as Lucic but STYLE wise he will be. Completely different thing which is what people tend to ignore when they think something is absurd. Even looking at Lucic's totals,he had 2 stellar point seasons and you can make a case for a third in the lockout season. Again, not saying Broll is going to light it up, be the same or better than Lucic but there are some comparisons style wise and not skillwise because as we know Lucic is an established NHL'er

I understand it's hard, but maybe people should make better comparisons. Don't compare a guy to a perennial 20+ goal scorer, who scored 30 in his early twenties.

Ryan Clowe, Troy Brouwer

These guys are probably better comparables in terms of offense. I realize they aren't as tough as Lucic. But maybe singling out the arguably toughest skill player in the league is a bad idea.

HeroNtF

Jul 9, 2012
Our team will be huge, and effective down the road. Biggs broll devane could all make the team in a couple years. As much as I like orr, he is very frustrating to watch.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Our team will be huge, and effective down the road. Biggs broll devane could all make the team in a couple years. As much as I like orr, he is very frustrating to watch.

That's because, minus a decent defensive play every two or three years, Orr can't play hockey.

These guys can.

Hawaiinleaf

Jan 4, 2011
Honolulu
Orr came here at a time that 19 year old Luke Schenn had to fight and stand up for every player on the team. That's how pathetic under RW the team had become.

Orr is not a bad player and can skate much better now and he works extremely hard

Thank god some of the posters here do not coach the Leafs

HeroNtF

Jul 9, 2012
Orr came here at a time that 19 year old Luke Schenn had to fight and stand up for every player on the team. That's how pathetic under RW the team had become.

Orr is not a bad player and can skate much better now and he works extremely hard

Thank god some of the posters here do not coach the Leafs

I know he works very hard, and wouldnt doubt he is great in the locker room. But his ability to think the game, and ability to pass the puck under pressure is horrible and has cause alot of trouble clearing the zone this year.

hes not going anywhere this year, and dont believe he should because he still has a huge intimidating factor. But one these kids develop/grow out he will be gone with no regrets.

Hawaiinleaf

Jan 4, 2011
Honolulu
That i agree with..Orr stays this year and maybe part time the year after.
Devane replaces Orr and bookends with McLaren to form a terrible tandem..

Broll makes the third line..

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Broll looks like he may stick all season. The guy is getting his first crack at consistent play in the pros and doesn't look out of place. He's only 20

david999

Jan 21, 2011
Broll has been a pleasant surprise the last couple of games. I hope he can continue with his play as long as he is up with the big club.

Wheels

Aug 22, 2004
Good fourth-line plugger. If he even becomes a third-line plugger, he's overachieved. In his first three OHL seasons his career high in goals was 13. Two years ago he scored 8.

Rooting for him though - good energy and can skate. Not much else though.

member 147413

Hehe, I misread a sentence...

"Most thought... (Broll) would poop into the line-up... :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad