OT: David Braley has Passed Away at the age 79

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
RIP. Great Lions owner. Kept the CFL afloat for years. I wonder how close he was to ever selling the Lions.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I wonder what happens with the team now. Does he have kids that it would pass to? Because this isn't exactly the best timing to find someone who will want to invest in a CFL franchise.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Great owner and a loyal Canadian. I was lucky enough to work for him for 6 months about 30 years ago. I was an interen and he went out of his way to know my name. He was very friendly with his staff

Reactions: Ryp37

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
I'm feeling a little nostalgic, remembering when the CFL was a quality league for fans and players. When we were kids (early sixties), we used to get the $2.00 uncovered end zone seats at PNE stadium, sponsored by one of the local radio stations. If it rained, the stadium attendants would distribute black plastic rain coverings with hoods to the kids. Watching Joe Kapp, Willie Fleming, Pat Claridge, Sonny Homer, and the "headhunters" on defense.

What a time it was. So glad I got to see that, and the Lions first Grey Cup win.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I wonder what happens with the team now. Does he have kids that it would pass to? Because this isn't exactly the best timing to find someone who will want to invest in a CFL franchise.
He was always holding out for a certain price. With Covid the estate likely won’t ever get what he was asking for.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
He was always holding out for a certain price. With Covid the estate likely won’t ever get what he was asking for.

I'm not really concerned with them getting their money, more that it's a niche thing to find ownership that really wants to be invested in and care about the CFL and the fact that the league faces extreme uncertainty having had to cancel this season and not knowing what next season will look like is going to make it hard to get someone for the foreseeable future. But how will it be run in the mean time with ownership passing onto his estate and whoever inherits it? Whoever it is won't have nearly the passion and connection to the league and franchise that he did.

I don't think for a second that the league is going to be in serious danger the way some people do. It's survived for basically 60 years in its current form and it will likely continue to survive. It's just... I dunno... somewhat concerning?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'm no big CFL fan but in the current global situation and uncertainty, it definitely can't be good to lose your owner, especially in a league as volatile as the CFL.

I can't imagine there are many people with deep enough pockets who think that investing in sports teams playing in empty stadiums is a good idea right now.

Reactions: MikeK

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I'm no big CFL fan but in the current global situation and uncertainty, it definitely can't be good to lose your owner, especially in a league as volatile as the CFL.

I can't imagine there are many people with deep enough pockets who think that investing in sports teams playing in empty stadiums is a good idea right now.

Agreed. I'll take it another step further and say that not only is this bad news for the team but I don't think the league as a whole is in a good spot. Now I'm not suggesting the league is going to fold but they are in a very bad spot unlike any other time in history. This is the time where Braley would be so important to the health and future but with him gone I don't know what to think. I don't see anyone in the league today with the same desire and checkbook Braley had to step up and "save" the league. The CFL is in a very difficult time in their history.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I'm not really concerned with them getting their money, more that it's a niche thing to find ownership that really wants to be invested in and care about the CFL and the fact that the league faces extreme uncertainty having had to cancel this season and not knowing what next season will look like is going to make it hard to get someone for the foreseeable future. But how will it be run in the mean time with ownership passing onto his estate and whoever inherits it? Whoever it is won't have nearly the passion and connection to the league and franchise that he did.

I don't think for a second that the league is going to be in serious danger the way some people do. It's survived for basically 60 years in its current form and it will likely continue to survive. It's just... I dunno... somewhat concerning?
In regards to the estate, im thinking they are willing to take much less than David was holding out for. Probably just want to liquidate it as this point.

cfl in Vancouver is a tough sell. Stadium is way too big for them. I was always pushing for tearing bc place down and building something smaller like around 30k capacity that was expandable for larger events.

If they tore it down it opens up other potential locations for them to play. Whitecaps and Lions seem to have different demographics. Caps a more young professional crowd where’s Lions are more older people or families. So them playing in the same stadium both would need to compromise on a new location of downtown was not the place for them.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Well, I got part of my answer:

David Braley, Canadian Football Hall of Famer and owner of Lions, dead at 79 - Sportsnet.ca

“David has been a proud and fiercely loyal owner of our team, a champion of the Canadian Football League, and a leader for whom his love of our game and our country went hand in hand and spanned decades. We share our deepest condolences with his family, friends and admirers,” Rick LeLacheur, president of the Lions, said in a statement.
One of his final acts of devotion to Canadian football was a clear expression of his desire that the stability of our club be maintained through a smooth transition following his passing. We will work closely with David’s estate to follow that plan.”

That's really cool of him to have done.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad