David Bolland

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
"I'm afraid of things I don't understand so I'm just going to chalk it up to gypsy magic"

There is more to the game then advanced statistics, but if you believe in advanced stats then well **** I guess we're not making the playoffs boys time to cancel the season

and no I have not put a ton of research into advanced stats

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
the thread is about bolland... what are you even talking about
You brought up penalties as if a way to say he isn't that good. It was a silly argument you brought up. Especially as you say "hes just a third liner" , quite frankly he's played quite a fair amount on the 2nd line this season and done just fine. He's versatile and much needed on this team. But to try to down play his efforts as its just early on would be ridiculous. As I said, since its early on why complain that he has been on the penalty box as much as he has? If he wont keep up his production, what makes you think he'll lead the team in penalties?

Thats my point, you're just ignoring something to suit your claim and its just silly

Animal

Oct 10, 2012
That makes no sense, I can understand him being upset that he had to leave Chicago but why would he hate playing for his home team, contributing to their success so far and playing the best hockey he has in a while for us?

Not to mention this:

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/10/30/leafs-bolland-wont-join-hawks-for-white-house-visit

that article doesn't really say much. Him stating he's a Toronto Maple Leaf doesn't mean he's happy here.

& I'm not going to argue because I don't know, I'm just repeating something I've heard from someone else. I hope its not true

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
There is more to the game then advanced statistics, but if you believe in advanced stats then well **** I guess we're not making the playoffs boys time to cancel the season

and no I have not put a ton of research into advanced stats

I never said there wasn't, these are simply a supplement to what I've watched with my own eyes.

And no, believing in advanced stats does not mean I have to believe we will miss the playoffs. There is no stat that tells you that.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
You brought up penalties as if a way to say he isn't that good. It was a silly argument you brought up. Especially as you say "hes just a third liner" , quite frankly he's played quite a fair amount on the 2nd line this season and done just fine. He's versatile and much needed on this team. But to try to down play his efforts as its just early on would be ridiculous. As I said, since its early on why complain that he has been on the penalty box as much as he has? If he wont keep up his production, what makes you think he'll lead the team in penalties?

Thats my point, you're just ignoring something to suit your claim and its just silly

What's silly is making up claims that I said Bolland wasn't good. I never said that once... If you actually go read what I wrote I said he's been effective and a welcome addition... I'm not even sure what to say to you.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I'm really happy he's having such a fantastic year (Even though I'm a Hawks fan I'm from Toronto and the Leafs are the team I like most after the Hawks).

He's a really good player. People who point to last year as a way of denigrating him (not in this thread, but in general) are a bit offside. Last year the Hawks tried to turn him into our 2c (a gap for our team) and it didn't work out well...on top of that, he played injured at the end of the season and into the playoffs. All of that created the impression that he was a worse player than he actually was.

The other thing that some people forget to mention was the reality of the Hawks' cap situation - he's a UFA at the end of this year and the Hawks' are heavy on prospects/current players who could fill his role - so the Hawks dealt him when they could get the most for him. When he was traded from Chicago there were comments I read that made it sound like he just wasn't good enough for the Hawks, and that's not accurate at all.

I hope he continues to work out well for you and, if appropriate for the Leafs, he re-signs with you.

BiggestLeafsFanEVER*

I'm just glad we have Bolland. He's good so far. I guess we'll have to wait and see how things work out for next years contracst.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Outstanding 3rd liner who can play in the top 6 when we have injuries. Very good defensively, lots of grit, lots of hustle, pretty solid offensive talent, what's not to like? Hopefully we can keep him for roughly $4 mil per year.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
We have to kepp this guy.

He gets Bozak money and has to stay. This is a good guy for Kadri to learn from.

RedBaronIndian

Jul 9, 2010
I'm really happy he's having such a fantastic year (Even though I'm a Hawks fan I'm from Toronto and the Leafs are the team I like most after the Hawks).

He's a really good player. People who point to last year as a way of denigrating him (not in this thread, but in general) are a bit offside. Last year the Hawks tried to turn him into our 2c (a gap for our team) and it didn't work out well...on top of that, he played injured at the end of the season and into the playoffs. All of that created the impression that he was a worse player than he actually was.

The other thing that some people forget to mention was the reality of the Hawks' cap situation - he's a UFA at the end of this year and the Hawks' are heavy on prospects/current players who could fill his role - so the Hawks dealt him when they could get the most for him. When he was traded from Chicago there were comments I read that made it sound like he just wasn't good enough for the Hawks, and that's not accurate at all.

I hope he continues to work out well for you and, if appropriate for the Leafs, he re-signs with you.

Another Hawks' fan chiming in here. To add to what UWT said, The only question mark with Bolland is the injuries. When healthy, he is one of the best shut-down guys in the league. Come playoffs he will be one of the most important guys on your team.
Most Hawks were sad to see him go.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
I really don't understand all the praise. He's been good, effective and a welcome addition... but he's not amazing either. He's a 3rd liner, leads by example and is chipping in offensively early on. But that's all he is... a 3rd liner.

The fail is strong in this one Obi-Wan.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Jay Mcclement has one job and it's to kill penalties and protect leads and he does his job as good as anyone in the league... Mcclement is more important to this team then Bolland.

I guess you don't get that Bolland is filling that role too and that you need more than one player doing that?

I could care less about the stats you wrote...

That doesn't mean what you seem to think it means...

Last edited:

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
i know someone that's good friends with Bolland who told me that he HATES it here. He also said don't be surprised if Bolland is done in 3 years.

I'm praying it isn't true, but I've heard it from 2 different people. He's married to my brother's friend's sister, so I'll try to find out from him if its true

:facepalm:

KIWILEAFFAN

Dec 28, 2011
New Zealand
IMHO the team is just better in so many ways, with Bolland in it.
I hope he stays around a while.

If he hates being in Toronto yet continues to play as well as he does...............................

Last edited:

Lucky Leaf

**** the oilers
Jan 5, 2012
Toronto
Wasn't that the reason all the grabovski lovers blamed him for struggling? In Carlyle's system we need a good defensive center and grabo wasn't a fit. Bolland is a fit and actually does what is asked of him.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
I guess you don't get that Bolland is filling that role too and that you need more than one player doing that?

/QUOTE]

what is with people in this thread and making inaccurate claims? I never said Bolland didn't fill that role... It was never said. I prefer what Mcclement does for this team at his cap hit then more then what Bolland does. I still love everything Bolland does.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
IMHO the team is just better in so many ways, with Bolland in it.
I hope he stays around a while.

If he hates being in Toronto yet continues to play as well as he does...............................

I'm still waiting for someone, anyone, to back up their claims that he hates it here.

Bolland is from Toronto so I doubt it is the city that he hates (why would he hate being around his friends and family), especially as he has brought the Cup here both times he has won it. So that implies that it is the team that he hates and I challenge anyone to prove that claim.

TheOneArmedMan

Jan 17, 2011
He's been so great on the 3rd line compared to what we had before(Glass Connolly, Lack Lombardi). Hope we can keep him around for a bit. He does seem to take quite a few penalties for my liking though.

hockeystick89

Oct 30, 2009
He's just what the doctor ordered for our third line and is definitely one guy you want to keep around.

On another note, he somehow manages to come off as more nervous in interviews than Kessel. Impressive.

Savvy

Sep 30, 2006
Mississauga
i know someone that's good friends with Bolland who told me that he HATES it here. He also said don't be surprised if Bolland is done in 3 years.

I'm praying it isn't true, but I've heard it from 2 different people. He's married to my brother's friend's sister, so I'll try to find out from him if its true

You're either full or it or you're getting info from someone who is full of it.

He's been quite happy since coming to Toronto. He's raved about the coaching so far, really likes the room and from what I was told would like to start negotiating a deal sometime in December if the Leafs would be up to it. The only possible thing that could be viewed as him or his family being negative in any way is his family were hesitant about hangers on whenever the topic about him coming to Toronto was ever brought up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad