David Bell named Reds manager

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
they actually played very well under riggleman

but i guess they want to go with the big name

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
They interviewed Joe Girardi too. They also interviewed Ausmus but as a Reds fan I don't want any part of that clown.

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
Farrell is currently part of the organization
Point taken, but he's only been with the organization as a scout since March 2018. Basically he's an outside guy compared to Hatcher, Riggelman, etc. He's an "inside/outside" guy as they call it sometimes.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
He's a good manager but always leaves you wanting more. Wonder how he'll do with the Reds should he get the job.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Does it matter who they hire? The team isn’t that good.

I mean I guess it does matter but why spend money on big names for a roster they have? The manager will probably be gone within a year or two. This

MikeCubs

May 30, 2018
Maybe Reds should have been willing to spend more money to put talents around Votto.

I am sorry but if they can't do that financially, then Cincinnati should not have a team.

Signing 30 year old plus free agents don't work these days with roid testing. Things are looking up for the Reds. MLB pipeline has their system ranked 7th.

MLB Pipeline ranks Cincinnati Reds' farm system seventh

They probably should have traded Votto once they started rebuilding. Think of how much higher the system would be with the haul they could have got for him. By the time the kids come up he will probably be in major decline/done. His power already went down this year. Mistake for both him and the team to waste the last few years with a loser.

frontsfan2005

Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Reds ownership has stated that they are increasing payroll to the highest in club history ($120 million range). I think the club was open (and still might be) to keeping Riggleman but after a stretch in which they put up a record of 40-34 after their 3-18 start, the Reds went 24-43 to close out the season. Had Riggleman maintained a close to .500 record in August and September, I think the job would be his.

Tecumseh

Scorched Earth
Oct 20, 2012
Southbridge, MA
Reds ownership has stated that they are increasing payroll to the highest in club history ($120 million range). I think the club was open (and still might be) to keeping Riggleman but after a stretch in which they put up a record of 40-34 after their 3-18 start, the Reds went 24-43 to close out the season. Had Riggleman maintained a close to .500 record in August and September, I think the job would be his.
Even if they increase the payroll to that level, they would still be well below the league average.

frontsfan2005

Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Even if they increase the payroll to that level, they would still be well below the league average.

Yes, they would still be on the lower end of team payrolls, but this is a $26 mil increase over 2018.

This allows them to resign Harvey if they decide, or perhaps go after some other middle tier starters to fill up some holes in the rotation. I also don't expect Billy Hamilton to return, freeing up $4.6 mil, and possibly one of Peraza/Gennett if the Reds decide to bring up Senzel to play at 3B or 2B (although latest rumours have him playing in the OF next season).

After next season, Homer Bailey and his $23 mil contract comes off the books.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Farrell is not a great manager. Good pitching coach.

Not sure he's the right person for the job on a young, rebuilding team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->