OT: David Backes

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
Well, I guess not if they embrace a full rebuild. He's a good character guy to have on a young team, even if they're not competing. Boston is looking more like Detroit soon than anything else.

They have a much stronger prospect pool and youth than Detroit. Their backend also isn't in shambles like Detroit's. Pastrnak and McAvoy are looking like legit superstars. Then you have Frederic, Shenyshyn, JFK, Heinen, Vatrano, Carlo and some others who have some nice potential.

Also while Begeron and Marchand aren't young, they will be very good for at least another 5 years IMO. Maybe even more.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
They have a much stronger prospect pool and youth than Detroit. Their backend also isn't in shambles like Detroit's. Pastrnak and McAvoy are looking like legit superstars. Then you have Frederic, Shenyshyn, JFK, Heinen, Vatrano, Carlo and some others who have some nice potential.

Also while Begeron and Marchand aren't young, they will be very good for at least another 5 years IMO. Maybe even more.

Fair enough. I agree. I guess I have a hard time seeing them compete with the top teams in the East any time soon, but they will probably be a fringe playoff team for a while. That's a tougher place to be for an Eastern team, as there is more competition for those last few spots...and less chance to break through. Boston will be second fiddle to Toronto for a while.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
that contract is gonna be lehtera's on steroids for Boston.

I think we got rid of him right at the beginning of his decline. He's always been a consistent 55-60 point player until last year with his 45 points. He made up for it in the playoffs, but he only got 38 points this year for the Bruins. Even with his defensive ability, that is a pretty steep overpayment on his production. They won't be able to get rid of him with that term and production level either.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I'm very glad he's gone. He's just not very good anymore and I didn't see it until he didn't have a note on his chest. The guy is just so slow and really isn't who he was 3 years ago.

That contract sucks.

I thought Backes was looking old and slow last regular season. Wasn't hitting like the old Backes did either. He did have a good playoff for the Blues before he left. Blues are lucky they didnt re-sign him.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I don't understand how you guys could think that? Did you watch those games? Backes was meeting or exceeding realistic playoff expectations prior to last season's playoffs.

Nope. Was very disappointed with Backes' play basically every post-season except for last year.

You can call them "realistic playoff expectations". I call it underperforming - which is what it was when you look at his production in those years for the regular season.

Grimlore

Mar 20, 2012
that contract is gonna be lehtera's on steroids for Boston.

I dont know about steroids. Sure the contract is an extra 2years, but at least Backes can crack the line-up. We will soon have a 5mil player as a healthy scratch.

The Grouch

Jan 31, 2009
Nope. Was very disappointed with Backes' play basically every post-season except for last year.

You can call them "realistic playoff expectations". I call it underperforming - which is what it was when you look at his production in those years for the regular season.

In the regular season? As in... not playing a playoff caliber team every single game. Not having the offensive burden of teams crafting specific plans to shut the opposition down. Many of the greatest players of all-time, even all-time great playoff performers, have had their production slip in the playoffs when compared to the regular season.

Beyond that, under Ken Hitchcock, David Backes has always been used as a defense first player. Ignoring that aspect of his game, which was fantastic in the playoffs, and narrowly focusing in on a small decline of offensive output isn't weighing the situation correctly.

All that being said, your opinion is your opinion. I just don't agree!

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
In the playoffs Backes had 1 goal, 4 points in 6 games. He was a plus 2 and had 29 hits in the series. The guy was horrible.

In the regular season, Backes posted the highest CF% of his career at 56.4%, and was the 4th highest forward on the team with CF% behind Bergeron, Marchand & Pastrnak.

And I believe Boston was the number 1 team in the NHL this season when it came to CF%/puck possession.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
In the regular season? As in... not playing a playoff caliber team every single game. Not having the offensive burden of teams crafting specific plans to shut the opposition down. Many of the greatest players of all-time, even all-time great playoff performers, have had their production slip in the playoffs when compared to the regular season.

Beyond that, under Ken Hitchcock, David Backes has always been used as a defense first player. Ignoring that aspect of his game, which was fantastic in the playoffs, and narrowly focusing in on a small decline of offensive output isn't weighing the situation correctly.

All that being said, your opinion is your opinion. I just don't agree!

That's the point right? How did he show up in the playoffs?

He was pretty bad compared to his regular season numbers. Which is what guys are judged on. Backes was awful except for his contract year. Sorry, that's just how it was no matter what the excuse for it was.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
In the playoffs Backes had 1 goal, 4 points in 6 games. He was a plus 2 and had 29 hits in the series. The guy was horrible.

In the regular season, Backes posted the highest CF% of his career at 56.4%, and was the 4th highest forward on the team with CF% behind Bergeron, Marchand & Pastrnak.

And I believe Boston was the number 1 team in the NHL this season when it came to CF%/puck possession.

Not that I care too much, but how was he horrible with 4 points in 6 games and over 4 hits per game. Seems like he did as expected if anything.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
Not that I care too much, but how was he horrible with 4 points in 6 games and over 4 hits per game. Seems like he did as expected if anything.

I was just being sarcastic. That was my point. Backes actually played well.

And if you look at his reg season numbers, his even strength numbers were the same as the previous season. The only drop off was on the PP where he only had 2 goals and 7 points on the PP this yr. I imagine he got dropped on the 2nd PP unit. I mean since you got Pastrnak, Marchand and Bergeron, you'd think those guys would get most of the PP time.

ManyIdeas

Feb 14, 2012
St. Louis
Yeah he looked fine in the playoffs. And from what I could see lf his usage overall in the year, less PK time by a lot. They might be able to stretch out his good time left over the course of some of the contract if they play it smart

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I was just being sarcastic. That was my point. Backes actually played well.

And if you look at his reg season numbers, his even strength numbers were the same as the previous season. The only drop off was on the PP where he only had 2 goals and 7 points on the PP this yr. I imagine he got dropped on the 2nd PP unit. I mean since you got Pastrnak, Marchand and Bergeron, you'd think those guys would get most of the PP time.

Not just that, he is likely a second liner on that team as a winger. Not terrible, but not worth the contact.

It isn't next year where the contract looks bad, but a year or two down the road where it is terrible.

Keep in mind players on his team up for contract renewal will use his $$$ in comparison for their own contracts.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Yeah, nobody said he would suck this year. Everybody would have been fine with giving Backes a 2-year deal (even 3). Because it's his 3rd year when he's more around 35 that he will likely start to fall off.

So the talk about him looking fine in the playoffs etc isn't actually proving anything to anyone. Let's have this conversation in 2 years from now.

The Grouch

Jan 31, 2009
That's the point right? How did he show up in the playoffs?

Already answered!

He was pretty bad compared to his regular season numbers. Which is what guys are judged on. Backes was awful except for his contract year. Sorry, that's just how it was no matter what the excuse for it was.

That's what guys are judged on? By whom? Novice hockey fans? People who can't be bothered to watch the games? That's a ridiculous statement. Those numbers only tell part of the story. Even if you only take the part of the story that those numbers tell, he still wasn't "awful". That's hyperbolic.

Lets look at those numbers. Assuming Backes would've met his regular season ppg production in the playoffs (which as has already been stated, the greatest players of all-time didn't even accomplish) that would be 5 more points. Your argument is literally over 5 points. So five secondary assists over 29 games is what takes Backes from "didn't show up" and "awful"... to what? Adequate? Good? Great?

As I said before you're not weighing the situation correctly. You're putting all of your eggs in the he scored marginally less, so he was bad basket.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
The problem isn't Backes, but his contract. It is a bad contract. Two years to long for the $$. Further it is a top center/top line winger contract. Over the next couple years he will not be either.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I feel like the Backes deal is viewed unanimously on this board. Would really love to have him on the Blues right now, but happy not to be committed for that contract. Are we all just sitting around agreeing with each other?

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Wait for it. ............. Board blows up...........

Are we even allowed to agree on anything? Isn't their some bye law against that?

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I feel like the Backes deal is viewed unanimously on this board. Would really love to have him on the Blues right now, but happy not to be committed for that contract. Are we all just sitting around agreeing with each other?
Pretty much, you just have some people that take offense to anyone that doesn't act like Backes will be a God on skates until he's 40.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad