David Backes vs Clayton Stoner

uncommonsense52

(blue bleeder 24-7)
Jul 12, 2003
We'll use the Hockey Fights video.

picture4so.png

0:08

Here we see Stoner grab a Blues player from behind around the neck.

picture5owq.png

0:09

Oshie grabs Stoner from behind to pull him off of whoever he is strangling from behind.

picture3pn.png

0:17
Here, in the top right, we can see Stoner roughing up Oshie after Oshie had grabbed him.

picture6wh.png

0:25
Stoner attempts to throw a punch. It is unclear if he is aiming for Oshie and misses, or is aiming at the incoming Backes and misses.

These two possibilities lead us to two conclusions:

1) Stoner was going to punch Oshie, in which case Backes was coming in to defend Oshie.

2) Stoner threw the first punch (though it missed) in the Stoner/Backes altercation.

picture7em.png

0:26
Backes first punch lands (after the ambiguous Stoner punch).

So again, who instigates what here? Oshie pulls Stoner off a Blue he was strangling. Stoner throws a punch before Backes.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny

picture4so.png

picture5owq.png

Oshie grabs Stoner from behind to pull him off of whoever he is strangling from behind.

picture3pn.png

Here, in the top right, we can see Stoner roughing up Oshie after Oshie had grabbed him.

picture6wh.png

Stoner attempts to throw a punch. It is unclear if he is aiming for Oshie and misses, or is aiming at the incoming Backes and misses.

1) Stoner was going to punch Oshie, in which case Backes was coming in to defend Oshie.

2) Stoner threw the first punch (though it missed) in the Stoner/Backes altercation.

picture7em.png

So again, who instigates what here? Oshie pulls Stoner off a Blue he was strangling. Stoner throws a punch before Backes.

absolutely hilarious.

instead, why not just look at the video instead of showing snapshots and adding your own captions that are speculative at best.

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
Interesting what those blue glasses have you seeing. Assemble the pics any way you want. Argue it all you like. Don't let the facts get in the way. It was an entertaining 2 games. We'll take our 4 points and see you in a few weeks.

WildisLaw

The curse is real
Jan 19, 2010
Cali
Oshie ties up Stoner, they twirl around nothing towards any fighting, Backes freaks out when he spots that out of the corner of his eye and makes a bigger deal out of it then it was. Starts throwing punches and then gets his ass kicked. The end.

CaseyJones65

Aug 9, 2009
Northern Iowa

picture4so.png

picture5owq.png

picture3pn.png

picture6wh.png

picture7em.png

I'm sorry, but it seems as though you omitted a shot of Backes getting COMPLETELY OWNED by Stoner. :sarcasm:

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
The video shows that Stoner does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to Oshie. And that punch you froze was, at worst, simultaneous. Two guys squared off, one of them won.

And the guy in your first picture isn't even Stoner, it's Cullen. And your 4th picture isn't a punch, it's reaching for Backes' collar, perhaps he was looking to fight Backes, considering he was throwing gloved haymakers at our guy (I believe it was Clutterbuck). Grasping at straws...

uncommonsense52

(blue bleeder 24-7)
Jul 12, 2003
The video shows that Stoner does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to Oshie. And that punch you froze was, at worst, simultaneous. Two guys squared off, one of them won.

And the guy in your first picture isn't even Stoner, it's Cullen. And your 4th picture isn't a punch, it's reaching for Backes' collar, perhaps he was looking to fight Backes, considering he was throwing gloved haymakers at our guy (I believe it was Clutterbuck). Grasping at straws...

No, it's Stoner, not Cullen. Watch the video closely. Number 7 moves out of view to the left of the scrum while Number 4 grabs around a Blues player, and then is grabbed by Oshie.

Who are number 7 and 4 on your roster, please?

If the punches were simultaneous, how come they aren't both in the shot? If they were simultaneous, they would both be in the shot.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
No, it's Stoner, not Cullen. Watch the video closely. Number 7 moves out of view to the left of the scrum while Number 4 grabs around a Blues player, and then is grabbed by Oshie.

Who are number 7 and 4 on your roster, please?

If the punches were simultaneous, how come they aren't both in the shot? If they were simultaneous, they would both be in the shot.

I have. 5 times now. #7 is Cullen, and Cullen is the one in your picture. Stoner is #4 and he comes from by the net over to where Cullen already is.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
And please explain Backes' haymakers on Clutterbuck. Are you saying he wasn't asking for something to happen? He threw the first actual punches of the whole ordeal. You say he coming to Oshie's aid, I could very easily say that Stoner was coming to Clutterbuck's aid.

At 11 seconds of the video, by the way.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
And I just noticed that Backes tried to sneak a left in on him while they were down on the ice. Hmmm...

Oh man, if he would've connect on the uppercut, it could've been way worse.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
A Minnesota-Blues TROLLFEST. Congrats to pretty much everyone here for partaking.

We have differing opinions on what happened at the end of the game. How is that trolling? Man, after "classy" and "karma", that's a word that gets thrown around too much.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
i'm not even mad. I love when high profile players on a team show emotion, get fired up, and are willing to fight. May not always be the wise choice, but it shows you actually give a **** about what is going on, how your team looks, and what is happening to your team mates. We need some of that on our top lines.

mnwildfan79

Jun 15, 2008
Since my captions seem to be in dispute, I'll just do this one like a flip book.

picture8n.png

picture9sn.png

picture10j.png

Haha flipbook. Dude there is HD video of the event. Your flipbook shows Stoner pulling Backes off Clutterbuck. Why wouldn't he do that? Backes was throwing gloved punches at a much smaller player.

RandallRitchey

Formerly the Bergy Gif guy on Twitter
Jan 26, 2008
St. Louis
www.stlouisgametime.com
Backes and Janssen both lost.
Backes got his tail whopped. Plan and simple, that was a fight he shouldn't have been in.

But the Wild announces on the D'Agostini fight cracks me up.

"D'Agostini is just holding on now."
Barker didn't even through a punch, and D'Agger had a few land.

loadie

Official Beer Taster
Sponsor
Jan 1, 2003
New Brunswick
Not sure what team the feed was from in the D'Ago fight, but there certainly wasn't much said, maybe because he handled the much bigger Barker?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad