Player Discussion David Backes: Waived

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I forgot how little what actually happens translates to what the usual torch and pitchfork crew think in here. So I will ...

giphy.gif
Yup. Backes is really proving his value to the team as a healthy scratch.

I heard he was at a cheerleading rally in the offseason and the 12-year-old girls were pom-pomming circles around him, so he spent a couple of weeks with the gym teacher. Now his press box presence is greatly improved and he’ll finally earn that cap hit of his.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I forgot how little what actually happens translates to what the usual torch and pitchfork crew think in here. So I will ...

giphy.gif

Playing the victim like usual. Sad, really. You come in and post something you know will get a reaction, when it does you pretend you didn't. Weak. You implied the coach was the reason Backes isn't dressing every game, when in reality it's his play. You then say you didn't make that claim, yet you asking how many goals he's been on ice for says otherwise. I'm good with your game today. Enjoy your Saturday, and GO BRUINS!!

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
How much patience do the bruins have with the 6 million dollar man sitting in the pressbox while better players are at a stand still in Providence.

Something has to give soon. This is beyond ridiculous for everyone involved.

Reactions: LSCII

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
How much patience do the bruins have with the 6 million dollar man sitting in the pressbox while better players are at a stand still in Providence.

Not sure what you're looking for here. You cant want them in the pressbox in Boston instead of him so are there guys who are playing and not producing that are testing Sweeney's patience? Or do you want him to package some Providence kids with him for a bigger $ wing and if so who's available right now?

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida

The contract holds back the team badly. Can't get a 2nd line winger, can't get a 3rd line winger. Can't make a big trade deadline move while teams like Vegas last year can pick up Mark Stone. I thought after his cup run we he would retire, its really too bad we couldnt win that game 7. We are stuck with him for 2 more years as he skates by on the "im a great guy and leader" narrative. Chara was the best FA signing of all time IMO, this contract is the worst

Reactions: Blowfish and maxl7

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
My unpopular opinion is that Backes has played fairly well this year while averaging 10 mins of ice time. 2 SOG in 8 minutes than 3 SOG in 10 and 12 minutes. He's getting a fair amount of chances and hasn't looked like he's chasing the play,to me. I thought he deserved more ice time in 2 of those games,but obviously the coach sees it differently. They need to find a way to cut him loose.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
My unpopular opinion is that Backes has played fairly well this year while averaging 10 mins of ice time. 2 SOG in 8 minutes than 3 SOG in 10 and 12 minutes. He's getting a fair amount of chances and hasn't looked like he's chasing the play,to me. I thought he deserved more ice time in 2 of those games,but obviously the coach sees it differently. They need to find a way to cut him loose.
He holds the cards. Not many options for Sweeney besides sending him down to Providence. Probably the last resort.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
He holds the cards. Not many options for Sweeney besides sending him down to Providence. Probably the last resort.

sign me up for 6 million dollar contact and playing in the AHL. If he doesnt like it, too bad, this is pro sports. I think Karl Alzner who just signed a big contact last year is in the same situation playing in Laval

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
At this point, I've been so underwhelmed by watching Brett Ritchie, I'd give a few games to Backes in his place. Can't be more invisible or drag down the 3rd line any further than when the molden Brett plays, can he?

Reactions: maxl7

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
At this point, I've been so underwhelmed by watching Brett Ritchie, I'd give a few games to Backes in his place. Can't be more invisible or drag down the 3rd line any further than when the molden Brett plays, can he?

At least Ritchie is only 1 million dollars, Backes needs to be sent to Providence and see if it's really worth it at his age to take hits from AHLers who give it there all every night dreaming of being in the NHL. At that point he might retire. Its draconian but we need the cap space

Reactions: kdog82

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
sign me up for 6 million dollar contact and playing in the AHL. If he doesnt like it, too bad, this is pro sports
Like I said, it would be the last option. We won't gain much cap room. Then there's the fact, he's a leader on the team, it makes it more difficult to just send him down without rippling effects on the team.

Only viable solution would be a trade, for that Backes needs to accept to be traded to a team that's not on his short list.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
You'd be surprised.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Like I said, it would be the last option. We won't gain much cap room. Then there's the fact, he's a leader on the team, it makes it more difficult to just send him down without rippling effects on the team.

Only viable solution would be a trade, for that Backes needs to accept to be traded to a team that's not on his short list.

is he really, the Bruins have plenty of leadership on the team starting with Bergeron Chara Krejci Rask, Krug Marchand etc

Reactions: TCB

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

Yes because he struggles to keep up more than Ritchie does.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
is he really, the Bruins have plenty of leadership on the team starting with Bergeron Chara Krejci Rask, Krug Marchand etc
It means he is well respected by teammates.
Although they know better than us how much Backes has declined.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border

He's a leader there's no doubt it and a great one who's well respected not only on the Bruins, but around the league, but like you said the Bruins have other leaders and a lot of Character in the dressing room.

They've always had the next man up attitude and that will continue no matter if Backes is on the team, down in the AHL, or traded.

Reactions: Spooner st

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
It means he is well respected by teammates.

maybe, but he's finished and holding the team back. Its more sympathy at this point for a guy that is way past his prime. Do we really need this all year? We need to win games rather than feel bad for Backes and his huge contract

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
At least Ritchie is only 1 million dollars, Backes needs to be sent to Providence and see if it's really worth it at his age to take hits from AHLers who give it there all every night dreaming of being in the NHL. At that point he might retire. Its draconian but we need the cap space

Right there with you on the money, but Backes is making that 6 Mill whether he dresses or not. They're not putting him the minors, so that money is a sunk cost. Given how little Ritchie has moved the needle when he's played, I don't think it's a giant drop off to give Backes a few games instead. You're already paying him anyways.

Reactions: KrejciMVP

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
maybe, but he's finished and holding the team back. Its more sympathy at this point for a guy that is way past his prime. Do we really need this all year? We need to win games rather than feel bad for Backes and his huge contract
Agree, believe me... you don't need to convince me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad