Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
giphy.gif
I’ll join you :laugh:

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
I'm hoping he's improved for the sake of the team. if after ten games or so and hes slowing down his linemates I have no problem with him going to Providence

Reactions: LSCII

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
I don't think he can play in this league anymore. I'm not sure he even wants to..... Can't help but feel like the fire is gone. He looks like a guy who wants to want it....... Giving up everything he had in St. Louis for an extra year here should have been a sign. Money isn't everything, but when you know it's your last contract, it kind of is.....

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Backes looks better than he was last year however so many better options available Lindholm Gaunce Bjork etc...

He and Ritchie essentially the same player and both elephants in the room with one elephant being much bigger than the other....

Backes was a terrible signing - yes saying it again. It bothers me more knowing they could have signed Mojo but couldn't because of an elephant.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I just don’t see what he adds.

His foot speed has dropped below the threshold of what should be considered the minimum to play at an NHL level. A little like Loui Eriksson, the guy he replaced.

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
He didn't rip his motivation, just disagreed on what you think his motivation is.
It is true he is not the first player in the sport to overcome injury and physical hardships.
It is true he is over paid so a fan does have the right to be critical more so on that player.

All valid points to what you call nonsense.
I get it, and in practical terms that is the case and always will be.

However, my view is that supporting or not supporting a player related on how much money they make really doesn't make much sense. As fans we should want all players to be their very best -- in support of the team winning the Cup. The money has nothing to do with us really. In the Cap era main market teams almost invariably spend close to the Cap (or over -- I see you Toronto) so how that money is doled out is up to the GM and Management. It's out of our hands.

Player A makes $2M a season. Is 28 and has a season of 10G, 20A, and 20Pts.
Player B makes $6M a season. Is 28 and has a season of 10G, 20A, and 20Pts.

What happens next should be on Coach and GM. Coach should decide which player provides more intangibles is a better fit. GM should determine if he can somehow shed the extra $4M in Cap hit or whether he can move it in a way that improves team.

However, for the fan? That $4M Cap Hit has sailed. No amount of whining, assignment or whipping boy status, or outbursts of anger is going to change squat. So if we really are fans, we should be hoping for Player B to perform to what the team at least thought was their potential.

We have the "right" to do pretty much whatever we want to do. However, in my view, whenever someone says "it's my right" they are usually trying to explain away an action that doesn't make a ton of sense to begin with.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I get it, and in practical terms that is the case and always will be.

However, my view is that supporting or not supporting a player related on how much money they make really doesn't make much sense. As fans we should want all players to be their very best -- in support of the team winning the Cup. The money has nothing to do with us really. In the Cap era main market teams almost invariably spend close to the Cap (or over -- I see you Toronto) so how that money is doled out is up to the GM and Management. It's out of our hands.

Player A makes $2M a season. Is 28 and has a season of 10G, 20A, and 20Pts.
Player B makes $6M a season. Is 28 and has a season of 10G, 20A, and 20Pts.

What happens next should be on Coach and GM. Coach should decide which player provides more intangibles is a better fit. GM should determine if he can somehow shed the extra $4M in Cap hit or whether he can move it in a way that improves team.

However, for the fan? That $4M Cap Hit has sailed. No amount of whining, assignment or whipping boy status, or outbursts of anger is going to change squat. So if we really are fans, we should be hoping for Player B to perform to what the team at least thought was their potential.

We have the "right" to do pretty much whatever we want to do. However, in my view, whenever someone says "it's my right" they are usually trying to explain away an action that doesn't make a ton of sense to begin with.

I largely agree with this- Backes' contract is money spent for the most part. However, when you toss it in the bigger mix and realize, for example, that *maybe* the Bruins could have signed a nice RW to play on the second line with that money, it makes Backes' lack of performance harder to take. It just is what it is. It is hard to be as critical of Brett Ritchie because the Bruins basically have lost nothing and risked nothing signing him to a near-league minimum deal. Signing Ritchie did not prevent the Bruins from making other moves. Signing Backes arguably has, so it is natural that he comes in for more criticism.

That said, I want Backes to be the best David Backes he can be while he wears the spoked B. Unfortunately his best is not good enough at this point, and he is taking roster space and salary that could be much better spent. Maybe you disagree but I believe that if Backes had a Ritchie-level cap hit, he'd be waived and sent to Providence already.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Being no fan of either Backes or Ritchie, I'm still not sure what a 4 game sample split on one side into a micro-sample is supposed to prove. The fact that Coyle, Heinen and Krejci are deployed for PP minutes and that is not mentioned by that twithead is a likely sign of their dubious intentions.

I think anyone with a pair of eyes can see what's going on (or really what's not going on) when Backes and Ritchie are getting time on ice. Garbage players both of them. Not deserving of a spot on the roster let alone actual playing time.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
I think anyone with a pair of eyes can see what's going on (or really what's not going on) when Backes and Ritchie are getting time on ice. Garbage players both of them. Not deserving of a spot on the roster let alone actual playing time.
They are both dreadful, but that's no reason to post garbage statistics supporting that claim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad