Player Discussion David Backes IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

mflo77

Jul 9, 2002
Visit site
must be very difficult for a fast winger to play with backes. he cant create, cant hold on to the puck for the extra second to make a pass or create space. i doubt any winger on his line will crack 15 goals. i hope i am wrong.

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
The only thing that a player like backes should be heading for is Buyout.. totally unproductive and totally a waste of money..
Im not going to mince words on his take..
Get going backes or get going out of the NHl.

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
He should be 4th line W or press box, unless he can show more than he has thus far. He is way too slow to play C and it also exposes him open ice hits/head shots, which isn't good for his health. They have to solve that 3C problem (or 2C if we can grab a guy and slot Krejci down) soon.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
So with what 'neelynugs' said - after July 1st next year if he wants to still play, the Bruins have to be aware of all the scenarios. They could move him at that price of just 2.5 a year. They could trade him for a mid round pick, or retain salary. Problem is would another team want him if he does not improve, they have scouts watching games. The price tag would not be as much as we previously though, so it is doable.

Or he could walk away from 5 million on July 2nd without financial worry because he would have made 58.5 million dollars. Up to him and his young family. Is the next 50 plus years of a healthy life is worth a 5 million gamble, when you have close to 60 Million? Just a few weeks ago a 22 year old in BC, fell into the boards going for a line change in a Men's rec game - he sadly died.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
So is it Backes fault the third line stinks or because of his wingers?

It doesn't seem like any of it is really his fault in the sense that he can't turn back the clock on his body, and can't make himself any faster or more agile. He puts the effort in, and when the pace of play is slowed and he can be involved, he isn't that bad. When the game opens up, it's no good. Playing with Donato who is useless defensively and along the walls and in the corners at this point surely hasn't helped, and the other side hasn't been consistent for him either, but Backes is definitely a part of the problem.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
So with what 'neelynugs' said - after July 1st next year if he wants to still play, the Bruins have to be aware of all the scenarios. They could move him at that price of just 2.5 a year. They could trade him for a mid round pick, or retain salary. Problem is would another team want him if he does not improve, they have scouts watching games. The price tag would not be as much as we previously though, so it is doable.

Or he could walk away from 5 million on July 2nd without financial worry because he would have made 58.5 million dollars. Up to him and his young family. Is the next 50 plus years of a healthy life is worth a 5 million gamble, when you have close to 60 Million? Just a few weeks ago a 22 year old in BC, fell into the boards going for a line change in a Men's rec game - he sadly died.

Lol no one is giving us a mid round pick for backes. It will likely cost us a 2nd round pick and a mid level prospect just for a team to take backes off our books.

Reactions: Estlin

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
It doesn't seem like any of it is really his fault in the sense that he can't turn back the clock on his body, and can't make himself any faster or more agile. He puts the effort in, and when the pace of play is slowed and he can be involved, he isn't that bad. When the game opens up, it's no good. Playing with Donato who is useless defensively and along the walls and in the corners at this point surely hasn't helped, and the other side hasn't been consistent for him either, but Backes is definitely a part of the problem.

It's too bad. I'm a fan, but this is the end of the road, certainly as far as the Bruins go.

B's better solve their line 2 & 3 woes, pronto.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
they owe him $3M in bonus on july 1, 2019. after that, it's $5M in total dollars over his
final 2 years on the contract. i'm sure JJ will ensure sweeney kicks every tire before july 1,
but i doubt he's going anywhere until that bonus is paid.
Maybe they could offer to pay the bonus when the time comes?

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Agreed. He's had a good, steady career for the role he plays...

That said, right now he's toasted. That $6M contract is just pure nasty.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
I did. A lot of people did.

I know. Don't give on old #42 just yet. The guy's a warrior. I hope he still has some fuel in the tank. He's more than likely not gonna come anywhere close to fulfilling that contract :eek: but I hope he has at least one year (hopefully 2) left

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
Didn't want Backes when we signed him. Zero interest in signing a long term deal with a power forward over 30 years old. Well here we are where I feared.

Cronuss

Feb 19, 2007
NH
That concussion at the end of the year last year looked bad. I can only assume he and his family are going to begin worrying about his health. This is also a problem because of the way he plays... if he isn't physical, he isn't effective. I like Backes on this team, and think he still has plenty to bring... but these concussions are bad news, and I think sadly he is probably done, or should be.

Reactions: TCB

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
There has to be some big decisions coming up with this team.

I don’t think they’re a winning team right now, and it sucks because Bergeron, Marchand, Chara, Krejci aren’t getting younger.

They’re at an odd stage right now. I think they need to make a serious trade or two... early rather than later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->