Player Discussion David Backes IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
trust me, after the 2C is gone, Bruins ORG will still be wandering in the woods like a lost bear for a generation trying to find a replacement

I hope that isn't true LOL! What would be ideal is for DK to find some kind of fountain of youth- be what he was 3-4 years ago. Eric Staal had a late career revival, no reason David Krejci can't do it.

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
trust me, after the 2C is gone, Bruins ORG will still be wandering in the woods like a lost bear for a generation trying to find a replacement

98823919-D217-40DE-80D0-48D97D1A1971.jpeg

E777113C-9DA4-4D84-A70A-64D31E59B2E8.jpeg

The demise of Krejci is way too much around here

He has been the same point per game player basically his whole career

And has been a top 10% point producer in the nhl his whole career

He will not be easily replaced

991027EB-D79D-4B34-A4EB-E07735C9E095.jpeg

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
All those stats are great except they leave out the part where DK has a great game and gets 3 points and then doesn't do squat for the next three games. But it sure makes your PPG average look good.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
All those stats are great except they leave out the part where DK has a great game and gets 3 points and then doesn't do squat for the next three games. But it sure makes your PPG average look good.

you are going to have to find me more than 30 examples of guys that don't do that before I take your objection for much merit.

is krejci an elite front line point producer? obviously the stats say no... would he be considered elite second line point producer? obviously the stats say yes

does his intangibles allow him to take a couple good wingers and go head to head against the best centers in the nhl and either hold his own/or even win the matchup? if you watched the same games I did... then you should say yes unless you are pr ejudice against this guy and refuse to accept reality.

over the past 3 seasons krejci lost his wingers Horton/iginla/lucic and his production has fallen off a bit. but its strange how production will fall off for most guys when the quality of their wingers falls off. krejci has also gone from near 20 mins of icetime when he was a young horse down to around 18 or so... you might allow him a 10% reduction in points just based on the 10% reduction in icetime.

he was never an elite option as a first line center but hes a big game player... he thrived in our 2 runs to the cup finals and led the team in scoring.

as for backes… icetime/linemates are a lot lower quality for him too then they were 3 seasons ago... injuries have definitely been a factor.

backes is older now, so he might not bounce back. maybe age is playing a key role in slowing him down? but age doesn't take away grit/leadership. luckily we don't need the cap room right now and backes intangibles... his defense... his pp ability... still makes him a serviceable 3rd liner. he can play at a decent nhl level. he will get his 35-45 points before the season is over and that's very good production for 3rd line. when you add in the defense and the phyiscial and the leadership we are lucky to have him

Reactions: KrejciMVP

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston

Games with a point registered the last 3 years

17/18-

31/64- Krejci
38/64- Bergeron

16-17-

43/82- Krejci
36/79- Bergeron

15-16-

45/72- Krejci
50/80- Bergeron

Krejci 119 out of 218 games
Bergeron 124 out of 224 games

Krejci registers a points 54.5% of the time
Bergeron registers a point 55.3% of the time

Bergeron play the last 2 full seasons on the best line in nhl

Krejci played with a million different fill ins plus hasn’t got PP1 time in 2 years

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

Not pasting the quote as it's too long. But I love how you throw "refuse to accept reality" in there. Come on, man. You're better than that. This is a hockey forum where we are all fans have have our opinions and it isn't about refusing to see reality (in MOST cases :laugh:). What you see in DK is not what I see, and I actually like the guy as a player. But he is not very consistent in his play these days. He shows up some nights, and appears to take many off. I don't know why that is. It could be an age and hard miles thing- he's taken a lot of punishment in his career and had a lot of injuries. Not all 32 year olds are created equally. Some here call him indifferent or lazy. I don't think that is the case, but what do any of us really know about that? All I know is I believe we need him to bring it more often than he does.

So yes, I agree with you that most good players don't put points up every night. But tossing some stat out there about PPGs is not a good measure of the thing. It says nothing about how the points were produced.

But this all should be in the DK thread. As for Backes, well, same story, isn't it? He was a a top 2 center in his prime on a good St. Louis team. Had a decent first year here, but he is not bringing what we need from him on a nightly basis, points or no. That spells trouble for the Bruins, no matter what you think the causes are.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

Same as above with AOF- no disrespect intended, but it is long to quote. All I can tell you is that if you are happy with David Krejci's play for us right now, then you are. As a fan, I am not. Simple as. He wasn't very good most nights last season either. As I put it to AOF above, I don't know why that is, and I am NOT making any assumptions about his attitude, character, personality. It just is what it is.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
absolutely admire this guy`s resilience, his commitment to the game, fighting his way back from injuries and medical set backs but man, hard to swallow putting him out there nightly. Not sure if there is a viable option right now but it sure looks like he`s cooked.

Hate to say it as one who didn`t have huge issues with the signing

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Trade Backes to St Louis. They still love the guy
I don't care if all the Bruins can get back is Bouwmeister (who then you can do a three way trade)

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Technically that is not retirement though as originally stated.

As well as LTIR isn't free money. It still has Cap impact and spend impact as well as not all contracts are team insured. They have limits. I don't know if Backes' is or not. Dom knows this stuff inside out and backwards.

Usually, they insure the top 5 salaries on the team through the league insurance policy as that saves them a pile of money. Backes sits 6th on the team.

The team can take out their own insurance on the rest and I would guess that is the case with Backes. They would probably spend the money on that and not a player on an ELC. Financially, it doesn't make sense to insure lower tier contracts.

Insuring a players contract does not come cheap.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
absolutely admire this guy`s resilience, his commitment to the game, fighting his way back from injuries and medical set backs but man, hard to swallow putting him out there nightly. Not sure if there is a viable option right now but it sure looks like he`s cooked.

Hate to say it as one who didn`t have huge issues with the signing

It's David Clarkson 2.0, but Backes at least had a full successful career before the albatross deal. This will go down as one of the worst deals the Bruins ever signed. And in the age of the salary cap, it's not hard to extrapolate the damage it did to Bergy's window.

Reactions: KrejciMVP

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
It's David Clarkson 2.0, but Backes at least had a full successful career before the albatross deal. This will go down as one of the worst deals the Bruins ever signed. And in the age of the salary cap, it's not hard to extrapolate the damage it did to Bergy's window.

Where would you have allotted the money in the UFA market? I would have liked Skinner, and they could have fit him with dealing McQuaid, but there aren't many things I feel we've missed out on.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Where would you have allotted the money in the UFA market? I would have liked Skinner, and they could have fit him with dealing McQuaid, but there aren't many things I feel we've missed out on.

Except you don’t know how many guys they could have acquired in trade had they had the cap space, right? So unless you’re limiting this point to just free agency for some reason, it’s impossoble to make the case.

kdog82

Oct 6, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
David Backes is an anchor. If Marchand and Pastrnak played on his wings they would suck too. David Backes is the worst player in the league at his contract. Unfortunately, until the Bruins get a real 2nd line RW'er they will be a one line team.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Except you don’t know how many guys they could have acquired in trade had they had the cap space, right? So unless you’re limiting this point to just free agency for some reason, it’s impossoble to make the case.

Going off the facts in regards to what trades were made, and what UFA were signed, I don't feel we have missed out on much. Obviously I don't know what may have been held up. Also, they have plenty of money now and still aren't dealing so we will see.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I've long defended Backes and felt he could be a valuable piece of this team when used correctly.

But last night he was motley. Possibly the worst game I've seen him play as a Bruin. You could tell just by the expression on his face every time he turned it over (which was a lot) he was frustrated.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I've long defended Backes and felt he could be a valuable piece of this team when used correctly.

But last night he was motley. Possibly the worst game I've seen him play as a Bruin. You could tell just by the expression on his face every time he turned it over (which was a lot) he was frustrated.

He didn't have any official give aways on nhl,com.

Also, many players go through six game scoreless streaks, not worried about that, more worried he seems extremely brittle. You have to stick with him though, he's all you got right now.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
He didn't have any official give aways on nhl,com.

Also, many players go through six game scoreless streaks, not worried about that, more worried he seems extremely brittle. You have to stick with him though, he's all you got right now.

I find the giveaway/takeaway stat on NHL.com sketchy at best.

EdwardSharpe

Apr 26, 2017
I feel bad for him. He's been hit in the head a couple of times the last year which I think has affected his physical playing style and if he doesn't play that style he doesn't bring that much value to the team. You can just look at Rick Nash and see how these injuries effect players to the degree that they can't play anymore.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
I think he’s one bad hit from being done, and I’d trade him while the trading is good if I were Sweeney

It’s a gamble because I still think he can have good games as the 3rd line C and you’re taking a risk by putting Frederic or JFK there (I really don’t think Kuraly should be a 3rd line C, I’d rather have a good 4th line and tinker with the 3rd then have a bad hodge podge ever changing 3rd AND 4th line)

But the odds of him getting injured to the point of no return make it enough for me to beware of the remaining cap hit. That’s money we’ll desperately need at some point. I don’t envy how Sweeney will have to go about this decision.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I'd hope he considers retiring after this season. His agent buyout proofed his deal but I think it gives him incentive to hang it up since it was front loaded and a lot of bonus's.

Hes filling a hole right now so I am not going to get on him too much (we aren't a better team if we put Fredrick or JFK there before they are ready.) Guys can decline quickly at that age.

Stempniak and Winnik were both younger than him and looked 10x better in camp and neither could get a vet minimum deal anywhere in the league its ridiculous that Backes makes this much and has 2 years after this one. Doesn't look like he will play well enough this year to be trade able. I think he'll pick it up and have an OK regular season but in the playoffs he will be a liability.

Reactions: FanSince72
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->