Player Discussion David Backes IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Backes plays hard but everything is in slow motion with him.3 more years of him at that cap hit is gonna hurt.
I will be surprised if he does not retire before then. He is what he is, slow, good checker can PK which is a 4th line winger not a 3rd line center. They need to slot guys where they should be and get ones to replace them if they are going anywhere this year. He must know deep down that it is nearly over, sad to see a once great warrior falling to father time (same for Krech). Game has changed and for the worse for his style and age. Five years ago he could have been Chris Kelly but Kelly could still skate. We have him for this year put him on wing or the 4th line, not on the power play.

Reactions: Estlin

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I will be surprised if he does not retire before then. He is what he is, slow, good checker can PK which is a 4th line winger not a 3rd line center. They need to slot guys where they should be and get ones to replace them if they are going anywhere this year. He must know deep down that it is nearly over, sad to see a once great warrior falling to father time (same for Krech). Game has changed and for the worse for his style and age. Five years ago he could have been Chris Kelly but Kelly could still skate. We have him for this year put him on wing or the 4th line, not on the power play.

I'd be shocked if he does retire.
No player leaves millions on the table. As well as his cap would still count against the team.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Reactions: TCB

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Thanks.

I still stand by why would he or any player retire with millions on the table?

Agreed with the second part, no one is going to retire and leave millions. The only guy who did it was Rafalski:

"On May 25, 2011, Rafalski announced his retirement from the NHL, walking away from the final year of his contract, citing knee and back injuries.[3] Because Rafalski retired on an under-35 contract without being bought out, the move removed his cap hit for the 2011–12 season."

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Right, but I had read it was a way for both to keep getting paid without officially retiring- which they did for all intents and purposes. Backes just cites concussion issues, goes on LTIR and effectively retires but keeps getting a check.

Technically that is not retirement though as originally stated.

As well as LTIR isn't free money. It still has Cap impact and spend impact as well as not all contracts are team insured. They have limits. I don't know if Backes' is or not. Dom knows this stuff inside out and backwards.

Reactions: Dr Hook

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
It was painful to watch Backes last night against the Flames. He's so slow, behind every play, and clearly looks like he doesn't have it anymore. Maybe he's still getting up to speed after the off season, and I hope that's the case, but I'm doubtful.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
There is no way backes lives out the last year of his contract with the bruins. If he isn’t traded he will be bought out his last year at bare minimum

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
There is no way backes lives out the last year of his contract with the bruins. If he isn’t traded he will be bought out his last year at bare minimum

They can't buy him out....

5.67mil cap hit buy out 19-20
3.67mil cap hit buy out 20-21
.667 hit buy out 21-22
.667 hit buy out 22-23

no use buying him out they have to give him 4 mil in signing bonuses next two seasons regardless. only save 1.33 million in real money it looks like

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida

.667 hit buy out 21-22
.667 hit buy out 22-23

no use buying him out they have to give him 4 mil in signing bonuses next two seasons regardless. only save 1.33 million in real money it looks like

You're 100% right on hands tied. We found the culprit

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

.667 hit buy out 21-22
.667 hit buy out 22-23

Such a piss poor move by Sweeney to sign him to that contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad