Proposal: David Backes for Karl Alzner + rational

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
This trade is assuming the Bruins really can't trade Backes without giving up too much (Toronto couldn't move Marleau so odds are Boston can't either).

Bruins need as much cap-space as possible to re-sign their RFA's, they'll save 1.4M this year. Bruins only save 333K if they buyout Backes so this is the lesser of all evils.

Habs have the cap-space to take on Backes' higher cap-hit for 1 season. The following year we have to re-sign Gallagher, Danault, Tatar, Lehkonen, Armia, KK, Petry (i assume a few will be moved) so we're probably gonna need that 4.6M from Alzner's contract. Also, Backes is a pretty massive upgrade on Thompson for the 4th line.. that doesn't hurt either.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Rather buy out Alzner next year. Not helping out the Bruins.

We're helping ourselves out too. Backes is still a solid player, Alzner is useless. If Boston really needed to they could easily move a non-core piece and make room to re-sign them. This is beneficial for both teams.

Reactions: bbfan419

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
I believe this is far to be a bad proposal, considering two assumptions:
- Habs are not contending this year
- Bruins do not have the possibility to sign Carlo McAvoy to a 1y bridge with low AAV

If the second assumption does not hold, I believe the Bruins would basically sign McAvoy long term (or 1y bridge) and Carlo on a 1y bridge explaining next year Backes leaving frees up 6m AAV + cap increase, hence higher flexibility

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
I believe this is far to be a bad proposal, considering two assumptions:
- Habs are not contending this year
- Bruins do not have the possibility to sign Carlo McAvoy to a 1y bridge with low AAV

If the second assumption does not hold, I believe the Bruins would basically sign McAvoy long term (or 1y bridge) and Carlo on a 1y bridge explaining next year Backes leaving frees up 6m AAV + cap increase, hence higher flexibility

Habs will start the season with 6M in cap space anyways, there's no way of spending it. The most they might do is give a safe contract to Gardiner, if not they'll just keep the cap space. Might as well do something positive with it.... right? Adding Backes and subtracting Alzer is a team upgrade at no expense.

Bonus: free up a bit more money next year (no buyout needed)

Reactions: qqaz

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Habs will start the season with 6M in cap space anyways, there's no way of spending it. The most they might do is give a safe contract to Gardiner, if not they'll just keep the cap space. Might as well do something positive with it.... right? Adding Backes and subtracting Alzer is a team upgrade at no expense.

Bonus: free up a bit more money next year (no buyout needed).

My point was rather on the Bruin's side, that the assumption may not hold ;)

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
My point was rather on the Bruin's side, that the assumption may not hold ;)

Fair enough, 1 year bridge would be cheap.

That said, I doubt Carlo goes for that (would help out Boston a ton tho). I'm sure Carlo, his agent and every GM in the league knows how good he already is and how much upside he still has. He's already a very capable 2nd pair defensive dman. Add his tools to the mix, the offensive upside is there as well. Too easy of a sell for his agent unless Carlo says otherwise.

Last edited:

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Not sure the Bruins would be too excited to pay out an additional $6M to Alzner just to get rid of Backes a year early.

The deal is close to fair otherwise.

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
This trade is assuming the Bruins really can't trade Backes without giving up too much (Toronto couldn't move Marleau so odds are Boston can't either).

Bruins need as much cap-space as possible to re-sign their RFA's, they'll save 1.4M this year. Bruins only save 333K if they buyout Backes so this is the lesser of all evils.

Habs have the cap-space to take on Backes' higher cap-hit for 1 season. The following year we have to re-sign Gallagher, Danault, Tatar, Lehkonen, Armia, KK, Petry (i assume a few will be moved) so we're probably gonna need that 4.6M from Alzner's contract. Also, Backes is a pretty massive upgrade on Thompson for the 4th line.. that doesn't hurt either.

Thoughts?

Sending Backes to the AHL saves the Bruins 1.075m and a whole extra year versus Alzner. I suppose the Bruins could do the same with Alzner but the B's have such a ridiculous logjam at D right now with Chara, McAvoy, Krug, Carlo, Grzelcyk, Miller, Moore, Kampfer, Clifton, Lauzon, Zboril, Vaakanenien, Sherman, Andersson.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Boston has a few players destined to be put on the LTIR,

Moore for sure 2.75M
Miller likely 2.5M
Backes rumored 6M LTIR, 1M if sent to Providence

Even if it's just the 1st 2, and you send Backes and one of the bottom tier forwards to Providence that will likely provide all the Cap space needed for signing Carlo and McAvoy.

So 5.25M LTIR
1M to Providence
.7M Bottom Forward to Providence
That's 7 M
Add 7.3 current cap space
Total 14.3 M = you can keep Alzner

Last edited:
Reactions: Eddie Munson

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Doubt either team does this, rivalaries don't seem to matter much with trades lately but I still can't see Boston and Montreal doing a trade.

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
Alzner's deal is longer with a $1.375 million smaller cap hit, I don't think Boston would have much interest in that. They can get almost the same cap relief by sending Backes to the AHL, I don't think that they would even consider taking on the extra year of Alzner's contract to save $200,000 against the cap this year. At least Backes can still play the role of utility forward/injury fill in/4th liner/leader and he can take faceoffs and fill any forward position in the short term if they decided to keep him in the NHL.

I don't think this is the right deal for Boston.

Reactions: wintersej

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
I don't think the cap savings are quite enough for Boston to do the deal. But it is an interesting premise. Well done, OP. Not too often that a deal has legit rationale from both teams' perspective.

Maybe a little tweaking, like a few hundred K retained on Alzner, and it's a legit possibility.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Alzner's deal is longer with a $1.375 million smaller cap hit, I don't think Boston would have much interest in that. They can get almost the same cap relief by sending Backes to the AHL, I don't think that they would even consider taking on the extra year of Alzner's contract to save $200,000 against the cap this year. At least Backes can still play the role of utility forward/injury fill in/4th liner/leader and he can take faceoffs and fill any forward position in the short term if they decided to keep him in the NHL.

Agreed. Add in that Backes is owed 5M in real dollars well 11.125M.

If anything I see Boston retaining some money and give up picks/prospects to deal Backes.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Boston has a few players destined to be put on the LTIR,

Moore for sure 2.75M
Miller likely 2.5M
Backes rumored 6M LTIR, 1M if sent to Providence

Even if it's just the 1st 2, and you send Backes and one of the bottom tier forwards to Providence that will likely provide all the Cap space needed for signing Carlo and McAvoy.

So 5.25M LTIR
1M to Providence
.7M Bottom Forward to Providence
That's 7 M
Add 7.3 current cap space
Total 14.3 M = you can keep Alzner

Are Moore and Miller out for the full season. Otherwise you are just punting on cap space you will need to reactivate them.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
Not a bad idea but I'm not the savings are big enough to justify the extra year from Alzner. Depends on what Carlo and MacAvoy want I suppose. If getting that extra 1.4M or so means we can sign them both comfortably then I'd do it but we're not THAT close to the cap so I doubt that would make a difference.

If Montreal retained a little bit then probably.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal

Alzner's last year is guaranteed buyout tho.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I'd rather struggle through this year with Backes and hope he decides to LTIRetire next year. He has some tough miles on him.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Miller may not play again. Moore is going to go into December.

Then you can count on having Millers space all season. Moore though is a very temporary solution that might lead to a december cap crunch if you use up all the space before the season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad