David Backes appreciation thread

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
I too damn near teared up with that interview. Always sucks to lose a fan favorite.

There's this as well. A not surprisingly classy move on the Cardinals part.

Edit: The Note in KY beat me to it.

Total Bender

Unregistered User
Apr 20, 2014
Stl
Wouldn't have been all that pumped if army offered him the 5x6 but this hurts. Gonna miss you Backes, thanks for giving everything all the time.

STLBloosiers

Jul 14, 2014
How is army not ok with the term 5 years?

However he's perfectly fine with Bouwwmester and Lehtera long term?

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015

Probably same reason why Stastny only got 4 years. Ownership doesn't like those long contracts. Vladimir and probably Schwartz being the exception.

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010

Frank and Petro are both signed to 5+ year contracts.

I think Army's fine with going 5+ if it helps the team in the long run(like signing Schwartz). It didn't make sense to do that with Backes.

Say what you want about Army's return on trades, but when Lehtera's the worst contract the Blues have and no one has a NMC with expansion coming up, I'd say that's he's done a good job at at least negotiating contracts.

STLBloosiers

Jul 14, 2014
Frank and Petro are both signed to 5+ year contracts.

I think Army's fine with going 5+ if it helps the team in the long run(like signing Schwartz). It didn't make sense to do that with Backes.

Say what you want about Army's return on trades, but when Lehtera's the worst contract the Blues have and no one has a NMC with expansion coming up, I'd say that's he's done a good job at at least negotiating contracts.

I think Backes at 5 would have been fine. Reward the guy for everything he's done and been through all these years. Plus who's gonna match up with the big centers of the west now

FirstRoundExit

Apr 26, 2015
One thing Armstrong does great is negotiate deals. Lethera is the worst one maybe, they could have waited a year to see how his second year would have gone.

I loved Backes, but no way am I comfortable paying him that kind of money until he's 36-37

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

3 years for Lehtera is long term? JBo was 5 but he was younger than Backes (30 v 32) and defenseman generally age better than forwards. That was a mistake in Jbo's case because he relies so much on his speed, and we are seeing him decline. But in general, D can play well until their late 30s where forwards start to decline a few years earlier.

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
I think Backes at 5 would have been fine. Reward the guy for everything he's done and been through all these years. Plus who's gonna match up with the big centers of the west now

I'm guessing through Army's mind he was doing that with offering 4 years.

From what I heard in Army's conference call, it didn't seem like they were really going the extra mile for Brouwer due to him only being in STL for one year.

And as for matching up with the big centers, I don't think Backes would have played center if he returned.
3 years for Lehtera is long term? JBo was 5 but he was younger than Backes (30 v 32) and defenseman generally age better than forwards. That was a mistake in Jbo's case because he relies so much on his speed, and we are seeing him decline. But in general, D can play well until their late 30s where forwards start to decline a few years earlier.

In JBo's case, I think the groin injury has messed up things more than we'll ever know. He'll still be a top 4 D before the contract ends, IMO. Backes will be a fringe 3rd liner/good 4th liner when his contract is up.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012

Add to that JBo had quite literally ZERO injury history prior to signing the contract.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
The return for Oshie was not good value, correct.

But as for the latter three points you brought up regarding the third pick, Brouwer, and Oshie, my rebuttal is this.

1. The third was used to trade to up to get Thompson. If Bill Armstrong thought he was the BPA and worth while to draft, I don't see how the pick was "unnecessarily" given up to move up 3 spots to pick Thompson.

2. The whole point as to why Brouwer was the NHL player returned for Oshie is he because he was a FA after 2015-2016. Him having a good POs, IMO, changed a lot of people's views about him. I don't think a lot of us would've been pining for him to return if the Blues were bounced after the 1st

3. Like Brouwer, this was Oshie's first playoff run in which he was a consistent performer. Like Brouwer, Oshie was considered a ghost in the postseason prior this year's playoffs. I don't think Oshie would've had that same run in St. Louis, likewise, I don't think Brouwer would've produced like he did if he remained in DC.

We will have to see if moving up TWO spots works out, I'll just assume he wouldn't have been there if they had waited. I'll also assume he turns into a stalwart player. Apparently, according to some, Brouwer was the reason we went so far. I personally think you give him too much credit. His production overall was worse here, and although his postseason numbers were above average, he gave back a lot of points on all those stupid penalties and getting sent to the sin box. We will just have to agree to disagree on this point.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Classy farewell tweet, Classy farewell interview. Standing ovation at Cards game. ( Not a MLB fan, but Cards are becoming my favourite team!) He was my favourite player. We will miss him dearly . A really all around class act. ( Are you listening Minn and Van fans?) Thank you David Backes for giving 100% every time you stepped on the ice, injured or not. I salute you!

FirstRoundExit

Apr 26, 2015
Just thinking back to when Backes signed the offer sheet with VAN..what would we have gotten had we chosen not to match?

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
It'll be sad to see him go, but honestly he's not going to win anything in Boston.

Blues88

Apr 27, 2009
St. Louis
Probably same reason why Stastny only got 4 years. Ownership doesn't like those long contracts. Vladimir and probably Schwartz being the exception.

Pietrangelo on a 7 year deal, Tarasenko on an 8 year deal, Schwartz will go near max term, and I'd bet so will Parayko and Fabbri.

They don't like long term contracts for guys over 30 maybe, which is fairly common because of the risk.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Pietrangelo on a 7 year deal, Tarasenko on an 8 year deal, Schwartz will go near max term, and I'd bet so will Parayko and Fabbri.

They don't like long term contracts for guys over 30 maybe, which is fairly common because of the risk.

Hate to see Backes go, but we've been plugging along for a few years now with pretty much 2 cores of guys. The young guys and the old guys. I see what is going on now as the proverbial "putting the old guys out to pasture." I think we will see long term contracts handed out to Schwartz, Parayko, Fabbri, etc. Probably going to look a lot more like Chicago in as you see a bunch of similarly aged guys locked up for about the same amount of time.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
Kind of happy for him what kind of career he did, but sadness he should have deserved Cup. Heart and soul on and off ice. Great person for community.

we dont win a cup if hes here, no cap space.

Reactions: Blueston

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
Kind of happy for him what kind of career he did, but sadness he should have deserved Cup. Heart and soul on and off ice. Great person for community.

Backes was one of my favorites and it's a damn shame he never got to win a cup, he absolutely deserves one. Definitely an emotional night for me when it comes to former Blues players.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
There are many, many players who deserved their name on the cup. He was a great player and leader here and I was sad to see him go, but...

Reactions: Brian39

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->