David Backes appreciation thread

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
He was great in the playoffs. Not sure what you're getting at.

Not really. Had a few nice deflection goals though. Was terrible in the SJ series. He just isn't physical anymore and doesn't play with the edge he use to. He's on a major decline. Glad we let him walk. I said the same thing when the Cards let Pujols go.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
No, I saw his few deflection goals.

Who cares if they were deflections? They went it did they not? That's not considering the fact hat he wouldn't have scored if he wasn't in the dirty area.

Two weeks ago you were all about re-signing Backes, but now that he's gone all of the sudden you didn't want him back.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
No, I saw his few deflection goals.

Well if he dangled three people and roofed it top cheese would you be more satisfied? Because even if he did, it only counts as 1 goal on the score sheet. Keith Tkachuk scored a ton of goals and all were greasy and in front of the net. Not much finesse but they all counted.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Watching him on Periscope right now :amazed:

He is absolutely gutted that we couldn't get something worked out. He is doing his best not to go into specifics, but he is fighting the urge to just lay it all out.

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010

He is absolutely gutted that we couldn't get something worked out. He is doing his best not to go into specifics, but he is fighting the urge to just lay it all out.

Yeah, I just posted that in the FA thread.

I'll update this post with stuff that I've heard.

-Backes' pretty much denouncing analytics
-Hopeful until the 11th hour of being a Blue for his entire career
-Said the WCF appearance this year makes it seem like really bad timing for the contract negotiations
-Doesn't make it seem like he and the Blues were at all close to coming to a medium due to the simple disagreement on term. Doesn't appear to be $ issue.
-Gist I'm getting is that I think the Blues made a 3 year offer as he referenced how you can't really comprose a year's difference by using the term as 3.5-3.75 years.
-Says Steener and Petro will "probably be leading the way". Doesn't think leadership will be an issue with leadership.
-Said a third of the league called

Last edited:

The Grouch

Jan 31, 2009

Where is this interview and how can I watch it?

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
My impression: army said **** you to him. Sounds like he did everything in his power to remain a blue for life but the analytics and term ran him off. For shame

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Someone is chopping onions in my room

Yep, same here.

I still think its allerting that Shaw, Muller and Ayette left. Then Elliott asked trade wasn't happy. Shattery went demanding role, cut out Backes, Brouwer and even Ott.

When Stillman understand Armstrong isn't the right guy in this franchise?

Army came Blues and had full box of balloons and now he has almost blowed away everything for nothing.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Honestly this is the first year I actually saw Backes as a true leader on this team. Too many times in the past the Blues fall behind and Backes turned into a rough them up, inspire through fear. This year was different, he didn't lose his cool like he did in the past. He set the example of resilience.

Best of luck to him, only time will tell if Boston ends up hating that contract.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Anyone else find his talk about loyalty a little ironic? This is the same guy that signed an offer sheet to play for the Canucks just a few years ago...

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Can't wait to revisit this year's off season thread in 5 years when backes has averaged 60 points for the entire duration. It just seems like we always end up eating our words on here. It would be the blues way. #LGB

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Can't wait to revisit this year's off season thread in 5 years when backes has averaged 60 points for the entire duration. It just seems like we always end up eating our words on here. It would be the blues way. #LGB

Not a chance. He's declining quickly.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012

Care to give an example of even a single time this happened? We were all right about Oshie, all right about Perron, all right about Stewart, Johnson etc. There is literally 0% chance he averages 60 points for the duration of that contract. None. He's hit 60 once in his entire career and he has been given tons of ice time and tons of PP time here. I would be surprised if he averaged 45 points for the duration.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
I wasn't necessarily meaning he would do that, I'm just stating that it would be typical blues for him to leave and do better. I don't consider the oshie trade a good trade. We literally are left with nothing but Copley. The pick was given back unnecessarily in the draft, Brouwer is gone with no return, and you can't say oshie disappeared in the playoffs because he was a boss for the caps.

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
I wasn't necessarily meaning he would do that, I'm just stating that it would be typical blues for him to leave and do better. I don't consider the oshie trade a good trade. We literally are left with nothing but Copley. The pick was given back unnecessarily in the draft, Brouwer is gone with no return, and you can't say oshie disappeared in the playoffs because he was a boss for the caps.

The return for Oshie was not good value, correct.

But as for the latter three points you brought up regarding the third pick, Brouwer, and Oshie, my rebuttal is this.

1. The third was used to trade to up to get Thompson. If Bill Armstrong thought he was the BPA and worth while to draft, I don't see how the pick was "unnecessarily" given up to move up 3 spots to pick Thompson.

2. The whole point as to why Brouwer was the NHL player returned for Oshie is he because he was a FA after 2015-2016. Him having a good POs, IMO, changed a lot of people's views about him. I don't think a lot of us would've been pining for him to return if the Blues were bounced after the 1st

3. Like Brouwer, this was Oshie's first playoff run in which he was a consistent performer. Like Brouwer, Oshie was considered a ghost in the postseason prior this year's playoffs. I don't think Oshie would've had that same run in St. Louis, likewise, I don't think Brouwer would've produced like he did if he remained in DC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad