Player Discussion Dave Tippett: The Tipping Point

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
We have 1 goal from our bottom 6 through 5 games. We've seen 9 different players rotated into the bottom 6 in those 5 games and they are collectively a -11.

We're winning games because Draisaitl and McDavid are scoring at ~190 point paces.
Like you said 5 games in. Lots of new bodies plus there were some injuries down there. Give them some time to find that chemistry.

Reactions: MinimaMoralia

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Like you said 5 games in. Lots of new bodies plus there were some injuries down there. Give them some time to find that chemistry.
Of course.

But at the same time lets not pretend like there's something going on that so far isn't being demonstrated.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Those guys you mentioned played good hockey while playing with McDavid and or Draisatl and struggled when they weren’t...I don’t see where I’m revising history.

Alright, so we've moved the goalposts from couldn't get anything out of non-star players to couldn't get anything out of non-star players away from the team's best players. Fair enough. I'll give you Maroon and Chiasson who both took advantage of that situation.

But what about Letestu or Kassian? Letestu never played with either 5v5 and Kassian only saw top-6 minutes during the last half of 18/19.

Meanwhile, through 5 games this season, our bottom 6 has a combined 2 points (one each for Ny and Haas) and our production from Defensemen not named Klefbom and Nurse sits at 3 pts. It's early, but this team is still as top-heavy as ever.

McCombo

Nov 16, 2013
Wait--we were supposed to be impressed by these predictions?
No, someone asked that can I find them. And I found. Its just putting teams in order by the quality of players (mostly offensive talent, because defensive skills are harder to measure). Then he simulates NHL season something like 50 000 times and comes up with average for every team. Of course few teams over achieve and few teams under achieve every year relative to that expected average.

Oct 15, 2008
He might be the best actual in his prime coach we’ve had since prime MacT (I hate to say it but he did a lot with some iffy rosters back then).

His breakout schemes and forecheck system are money.
Never mention those two together. They have nothing in common. Mact couldn’t coach his way out of a wet paper bag.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
I probably would give TIppet more time before having judgement.
BUT
Why
* Overplay such an important players as Draisaitl and McDavid, in all situations. Let him rest in SH! Or play him every second shorthand. Good on him for reducing Connor to be just productive. Like why play him that much from the beginning?

* Why the love of Chiasson? He cant even skate properly. He is Lucic all over again. But cheaper. Why the love of Khaira? Nuges best friend?

* Why the hate of Jurco? It feels like Tippet is not a coach for offensive players. is it gonna be Yakupov again? Come on, this guy actually has talent.

* Why line up McDavid and Draisaitl eeeveeery game. Try to let them have one line each now.

* Why does the bottom 6 sucks so bad, that even the opposite teams tells they suck, and are the easiest to play with?

And, if someone really has seen all games, who has played best to worst of those, and who are good at PK, and who is just a hanging on a good PK:er, he needs to be traded :

Granlund, Archibald, Chiasson, Sheahan.

Those players doesnt contribute much to this team.

I would like to name Khaira, but he seems to be safe with Nuge, as the new 3rd line(is this what you wanted with your career RNH?)
Cause I feel two of them need to be switched/replaced with other material.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
LOL the annual fire the coach thread ahahahahah every year!!!!! Tippett is the best coach we've had and you want to throw him away because garbage players won't turn into gems for him? TYPICAL Oiler fans

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
LOL the annual fire the coach thread ahahahahah every year!!!!! Tippett is the best coach we've had and you want to throw him away because garbage players won't turn into gems for him? TYPICAL Oiler fans
McLellan was probably the best coach we have had in the last 15 years. Tippett is another hasbeen.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
You might want to read the thread.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Based on...?

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Tippett is finding what Hitch, McLellan, Nelson, MacT again, Eakins, Renny, Krueger and Quinn found out

this team is full of dumb players

Some of the listed coaches were pathetic but all have had the same problem, squat all to work with and magically become a miracle worker instant.

I am not going to blame Tippett purely quite yet as he has been given nothing to work with.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Was listening to Spittin Chiclets the other day, the Marty Turco interview.

Turco and Biz were raving about Tippett. How great of a guy he is, how passionate he is about winning, and how much of a player's coach he is. Seems like in Dallas and in Arizona he was beloved by the players there, and they all wanted to battle for him.

I can't imagine that has changed since he got here. Also, they laughed about Hitchcock, since Turco had him as well. Mentioned that Hitchcock essentially learned how to skate for the first time ever as a head coach for Dallas. Hahahahaha. Mentioned how he would just rip into everyone like crazy and all the players hated him. Somehow it energized them though, and he acknowledges now that Hitch was a great guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad