Confirmed with Link: Dave Tippett Out as Head Coach (now official)

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Truth is somewhere in-between. Not included in your post is how Turris and his agent strongarmed GMDM into leaving college early when they wanted more development (especially on his frame.) That story is well-documented. HBK has the deets.

I agree that Tippet mishandled his development though like most of our young players.

Yep Treliving went on a a rant on XM right after the trade. Turris's camp were threatening UFA route (head to junior after 1 year of NCAA).

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Is Craig mad that noone leaked the news to him early, or that he didn't get permission to print it?

Also a 3M buyout makes me wonder if Barroway threatened to drag it into arbitration on the whole "fired with cause" angle that was rumoured. Drag it out and take your chances with the arbiter and the press or just disappear with this check for $3M and go ride motorcycles, and I'll even say nice things on your way out the door.
Seems awfully odd to just agree to walk away from $17M without some sort of risk involved.

I think a buyout that low reflects the level of dysfunction that existed between Tippett and Barroway. I think this result is much more about philosophical direction then Tippett's performance.

Regardless. Time to move on.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Would have waited to see how this year starts out, but clearly Barroway had something else in mind.

We will see where we are at in a few years with a different coach. Might be leaps and bounds ahead of where we could be. Might be behind, or may not be a big difference. Given our roster on most nights, the fact that we were still in playoff contention for five years with 3 appearances should be a positive. Anyone think that Lamb steps into the role from the AHL? He's already worked with one third to the roster, all things considered.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Nope, Lamb was running Tippett's system down in Tucson...no reason to bring anything resembling that system back up to the Pros

We need a "fresh" start.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I'd like to see his sources. Even if the atmosphere was "toxic" there is someone that would take the job. When have the Cleveland Browns ever had trouble landing a coach? Case closed.

At least half of all former NHL players have retired in Arizona :sarcasm:

Lots of options.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think a buyout that low reflects the level of dysfunction that existed between Tippett and Barroway. I think this result is much more about philosophical direction then Tippett's performance.

Regardless. Time to move on.

Would have waited to see how this year starts out, but clearly Barroway had something else in mind.

We will see where we are at in a few years with a different coach. Might be leaps and bounds ahead of where we could be. Might be behind, or may not be a big difference. Given our roster on most nights, the fact that we were still in playoff contention for five years with 3 appearances should be a positive. Anyone think that Lamb steps into the role from the AHL? He's already worked with one third to the roster, all things considered.

I know that I'm in the minority, but removing DT now I think is the wrong time and to be quite honest, I'm a bit stunned, but I understand why Barroway did it. He had a year to watch and see how everyone and everything went. I know Chyka has done a great job, but I'm very nervous what happens next and the moves he makes. I also think/hope this shows a sign of ownership stability, not stripping down the team for relocation as some suggest. It's going to be a very interesting, nerve wracking next couple of weeks and I really hope they don't go with a old retread coach, but who ever it is, I will support him and the Coyotes like I always have. I hope Barroway's vision is not to trade for some high priced talent NOW. We still have to be patient.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
All this media BS "oh they dont have a coach at the draft". I'm sorry, was Tipp coaching tomorrow night?

I was begrudgingly for this but when I hear that Tipp was against the Smith trade ... wtf, he is a 35 year old goalie! Let's make some changes.

I heard they asked him for a draft list, and it read:

1) Doug Hamilton
2) Derek Stepan

:dunno:

Coyotes2000

Jun 25, 2007
AZ
I know that I'm in the minority, but removing DT now I think is the wrong time and to be quite honest, I'm a bit stunned, but I understand why Barroway did it. He had a year to watch and see how everyone and everything went. I know Chyka has done a great job, but I'm very nervous what happens next and the moves he makes. I also think/hope this shows a sign of ownership stability, not stripping down the team for relocation as some suggest. It's going to be a very interesting, nerve wracking next couple of weeks and I really hope they don't go with a old retread coach, but who ever it is, I will support him and the Coyotes like I always have. I hope Barroway's vision is not to trade for some high priced talent NOW. We still have to be patient.

I see where you're coming from, but Tip should have been replaced years ago. His system has not adapted and the numbers speak for themselves.

I could see a guy like Duclair traded but ownership knows their core. We're not selling the farm to compete right now.

This is about a hockey ops and identity on the ice reboot. It's about Domi/OEL/Dvorak/Strome/Chychrun now - It's their team.

I could see Vrbata return though, Chayka thinks pretty highly of him

cobra427

May 6, 2012

I wasn't for this move or the timing, but none of us know what is going on inside of an organization. This is common for new owners to clean house so i'm not totally surprised. It does seem like Barroway is making cost cutting moves so far. Doan would have required more than the NHL minimum, and smith looks like a cost cut. It looks like a house cleaning accept why did he hang onto Chayka? I think because Chayka is a cheap contract maybe. Drummond was behind the Chayka hiring as well as Tip. If Barroway spends some money on real UFA's or takes on salary for a Stepan or a 1RHD, that will tell us if this is all cost cutting or not.

Chaka can easily make some mistakes as his head must be spinning now and he is so young. He is on an island for hockey decisions now. Who is qualified to hire a head coach? If we don't pick up a 1C/2C or a 1RHD, and a decent coach, next season could be a Colorado type disaster.

Feb 12, 2003
It would be foolish to trade any players you see with potential at this point because under a different environment like we have now you may see that potential realized. If you can make a smart hockey trade, sure, but now is not the time to give up on a guy like Duke, Strome, et al.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Is Craig mad that noone leaked the news to him early, or that he didn't get permission to print it?

Also a 3M buyout makes me wonder if Barroway threatened to drag it into arbitration on the whole "fired with cause" angle that was rumoured. Drag it out and take your chances with the arbiter and the press or just disappear with this check for $3M and go ride motorcycles, and I'll even say nice things on your way out the door.
Seems awfully odd to just agree to walk away from $17M without some sort of risk involved.

The contract could have included some sort of buyout clause. Though given the cronyism I would have originally guessed it didn't.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I know that I'm in the minority, but removing DT now I think is the wrong time and to be quite honest, I'm a bit stunned, but I understand why Barroway did it.

Do you remember a couple of weeks ago when I posted about a source who said that Tippett wanted out but wasn't sure he wanted to leave all that money on the table? I wasn't sure at the time whether that source was reliable, but it turned out that everything the source said ended up being true. Saying Tippett was "removed" does not accurately reflect what happened - Tippett wanted out, and he accepted a startlingly low buyout to get what he wanted.

EDIT:

Now, I agree with you that the timing is a little rough with the Draft being today and all, but I bet you that if they could have pulled off the mutual termination thing before now, they would have. Tip had had enough, and Barroway was pleased as punch to get out from under Tippett's contract. Everyone is happy... everyone, that is, but guys like Gambodoorknob and Roc-head and others who swallowed the franchise party line hook, line, and sinker.

Whether these moves are for relocation or because, like Jake Barroway has tweeted, this is #TheProcess for moving forward, we won't find out in the short term. But what we should realize is that if the ownership was going to shake this team out of its funk, this was the way to go. I approve.

Last edited:

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix

I didn't think it would be possible to get rid of Tippet for so little, thought we would be stuck with him for at least a couple years. I'm amazed at what Barroway has done so far.

I'm impressed that we got away for only 3M. Wonder if the language of Tip's deal played a role and if it was something Barroway got in there as a Majority last year.

I'm not sure if it's true in this case (it almost certainly was in Doan's though I think) that both he sand Sarah knew about a lot of various things and were told to hold back explicitly.

Now that I think back, didn't Lamb run it last year with DT sitting in the stands?

They both ran it and played against each other in the Scrimage.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Well, he sounded much more the stooge with the "Tippett is at the draft" talk right before the canning. No reason to blow smoke for them right before the announcement. Sounded as blindsided as anyone. I'm sure he is going to write a column now on how we all should have seen it coming despite refusing to report on it.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
Glad Tippett/Borroway found a way to solve this situation out, and I cannot wait to see how much of a new voice will impact the younger generation of that squad.

Kaizen

Sep 30, 2004
Prince George B.C.
I was begrudgingly for this but when I hear that Tipp was against the Smith trade ... wtf, he is a 35 year old goalie! Let's make some changes.

x2. It was probably best to move on from the Moosomin Maestro if he couldn't see the benefit of moving on from Smith and Doaner.

It will be interesting to see how he does when he next steps behind the bench.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Interesting tidbit....

Side note.... Chayka had just finished a press scrum at the draft and this came from it.

Ken Campbell just wrote an article hinting Tippett's situation had been brewing for some time.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Interesting tidbit....

Side note.... Chayka had just finished a press scrum at the draft and this came from it.

Ken Campbell just wrote an article hinting Tippett's situation had been brewing for some time.

Chayka wanted Tippet back, that's interesting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad