Dave Portnoy Buys Back Barstool Sports

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

It was always tough for Barstool being owned by a gaming company. You really have to play the PC Card to avoid pissing off the regulators & other vested interests.

Reactions: G Backup and Reaser

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Not sure if they are doing it for show, but there's been some tiktok's out there, about people showing up late, leaving early, and doing not much of any work(one I saw was someone doing 7 blogs in the month of July). Seems like there is some cleaning up to do possibly there.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Absolute steal of a deal.
Penn gets 50% of any sale of Barstool down the line. Question is when Portnoy passes, what happens as he said he doesn't plan to sell it again. I would imagine a company, controlled by Portnoy, not Portnoy himself is the official owner of Barstool now. But, that can be 25-40 years down the road as Portnoy is 46 this year.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Not sure if they are doing it for show, but there's been some tiktok's out there, about people showing up late, leaving early, and doing not much of any work(one I saw was someone doing 7 blogs in the month of July). Seems like there is some cleaning up to do possibly there.

Penn gets 50% of any sale of Barstool down the line. Question is when Portnoy passes, what happens as he said he doesn't plan to sell it again. I would imagine a company, controlled by Portnoy, not Portnoy himself is the official owner of Barstool now. But, that can be 25-40 years down the road as Portnoy is 46 this year.

I dont believe he has kids but I think in his announcement he mentioned some of the other key guys would take over at that point. Dan "Big Cat" Katz being an example.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
$1??? Did he have an automatic buyback clause? Because I’m pretty sure, like, anybody in the world would’ve paid more than pocket change for it.

Reactions: Voight

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He must've. Cause if I was a PENN shareholder I'd be losing my shirt right now.
PENN gets to take the paper loss on the sale. Plus, Barstool was holding them back from the gaming business which is where the upside is for this transaction. Guessing, Portnoy must have had a clause to buy it back, which he probably never expected to.

Portnoy selling or passing on, could be a couple of decades down the line. Can you put in a clause in a legal document that when Portnoy passes, that Barstool needs to be sold?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Portnoy got $30million after cashing out his Penn shares, but theres the possibility he got $200million+ when Penn bought Barstool.
I recall an interview he and the CEO Erica did, where they talked about what they wanted in the deal and they did get a lot of Stock in PENN. I would imagine that his financial advisors told him to sell some of that stock since he's no longer the owner of Barstool and thus should diversify his portfolio. He more than likely cashed out some of the Penn stock.

There were some restrictions placed on Barstool in terms of their avenues for revenue. So, if that limits their revenue growth moving forward.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
And on the barstool instagram feed this morning we get to hear Portnoy and gang talk about how the sales staff needs to be more like Wolf of Wall Street. I hope they don’t turn this into the Portnoy school of business. Stay in your lane.

Reactions: tarheelhockey

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Personal preference, but I would love for Barstool to return to more sports and gambling talk. I understand the pop culture stuff has been a revenue generator, but instead of like 15% sports talk, I'd love for that to increase to at least 50% sports/gambling talk.

Reactions: Voight

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Barstool laid off 25% of the staff this past week. Given his comments it was not a surprise. When you say Staff has gotten fat and lazy, you need to cut some people.

Reactions: DaveG and Voight

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Personal preference, but I would love for Barstool to return to more sports and gambling talk. I understand the pop culture stuff has been a revenue generator, but instead of like 15% sports talk, I'd love for that to increase to at least 50% sports/gambling talk.

If anything they can afford too now more than ever.

Portnoy already made generational wealth from his work there and now that is cost him. single dollar to buy it back, maybe he can steer it back to its original roots.

Reactions: AtlantaWhaler

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Based on Portnoy’s comments, Barstool isn’t in as good of shape as he would have made it appear in the immediate aftermath of the re-acquisition. I guess that jives with the $1 purchase price. Guess it should’ve been expected that they were having some issues separate from gaming regulations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad