Dave King's book

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
Anybody read it? Now Dave King is trying to promote it on Canadian sports radio networks. I don't know much about it but it seems that he was pinpointing on some weird stuff that he has seen in Russia like Orthodox icons in the locker room, goat sacrificing in Magnitogorsk (Hey, musclebob, do they really do that overthere, I have never seen it in Russia) etc. Also he suggests that Russian doctors give the players a lot of unknown (to him) drugs and he suggests they are illegal since he claims three kids from Metallurg were caught and sent back from one of the international tournaments. Also there was I guess team's accountant who always carried a black bag with him full of 100 US dollar bills to pay for everything on the road. He found it really weird. I don't know if he wrote anything positive about the Russian hockey but I want the opinions of people who did read that.

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
got the book, so far it's a great read, I just got to a point where King visits Velichkin's house. King calls it a castle with waterfalls etc.

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
So, your first words confirmed or not ?

I am half way into the book - so far so good. Basically nothing new we haven't heard before. In Superleague most of the guys are AHL level. Most players can show some crazy stuff with the puck but will stay away from the traffic and choke when opponents are physical. All Russian players have unbelievably strong lower body, they train different for speed etc.

Velichkin is an internet addict, he reads all the hockey forums and his decisions are based on what he sees there.

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
Basically I finished the book. It is interesting but I would say it is not very deep. I am surprised about how he was shocked when he was fired. He received the buyout of the contract and that wasn't the problem but he doesn't really understand why while it is really simple. Dave King was a true pro as a coach for Metallurg but it seems he didn't really feel that this team was the most important thing for himduring that time. When the whole city of Magnitogorsk wanted Malkin to stay I believe King was trying to sell NHL to Malkin. At the end Velichkin understood that and made a right decision. Not only it was right from that point of view, but also Kanareikin managed to build a great team that won the championship last year.

Last edited:

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
Also in the book King talks a lot about one player he calls "Fish" because he did not say much and did not show any emotion when he should be like when he is scoring the goals. This player does have offensive talent, he has been drafted and the scouts call Dave King often to see how he is doing. THis player has a drinking problem. Every time Metallurg had a break in the schedule the player would have alcohol in his breath. Dave King never reveals his name but he mentioned that he is 83 born (if I remember it correctly). So there is only two players on the Metallurg roster of that year, Chistov and Kaigorodov. I initially thought it was Kaigorodov, but somewhere in the book King mentioned that he put Fish on the same line with Kaigorodov, so that is not him I guess. So either he was talking about Chistov but never mentioned that he already played in the NHL or Kaigorodov, but confused specially not to reveal who the Fish was or perhaps he lied about 83.

Does anyone have an idea who he talked about or perhaps it was not a real character, perhaps King generalized about Russian hockey players?

rananda

Dec 24, 2004
i think king is probably wrong about the 83 birthdate. as you mention, there are only 2 83 birthdays, kaigs and chistov. i dont think it's kaigs because he only missed one reg season game that year, and the fish seemed to definitely miss more than one. i dont think it's chistov because when the group of magnita players approach king about the fish's problems, they note that he has been with the team for a few years now, and 05/06 was chistov's first and only year with the team. i think it may be evgeni glagskikh who is an 82 birthday, but seems to fit all the other criteria, lots of skill, potential top 6 winger, nhl draft pick, missed 8 regular season games that season. i dont know who else it would be, i think king may have just confused the birthdate year. it's very interesting.

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
So I take one thing back, King realized that he might have been dismissed because he was constantly selling the NHL to Malkin.

http://canadianpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5iEORxKoEwbPNU84gnL0-_-qdZQ9g

"I told him, 'At some point in time, you can't let people make you feel guilty about your obligations. You do what you have to do,"' King said. "I think in the end, that was probably one of the factors in my dismissal."

xeric716x

Born To Expire
Jun 20, 2006
New Jack City
www.facebook.com
Anybody read it? Now Dave King is trying to promote it on Canadian sports radio networks. I don't know much about it but it seems that he was pinpointing on some weird stuff that he has seen in Russia like Orthodox icons in the locker room, goat sacrificing in Magnitogorsk (Hey, musclebob, do they really do that overthere, I have never seen it in Russia) etc. Also he suggests that Russian doctors give the players a lot of unknown (to him) drugs and he suggests they are illegal since he claims three kids from Metallurg were caught and sent back from one of the international tournaments. Also there was I guess team's accountant who always carried a black bag with him full of 100 US dollar bills to pay for everything on the road. He found it really weird. I don't know if he wrote anything positive about the Russian hockey but I want the opinions of people who did read that.

are you refering to the sheep he found in the landfill? that as far as i've gotten in the book

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
are you refering to the sheep he found in the landfill? that as far as i've gotten in the book

I guess so. I was listening to some Canadian Radio online prior to reading the book and someone said that it was probably some sort of sacrificing. Just ignore it, I have no idea why Dave King even included this into his book. He is a weird dude I think. On the same radio he went for about 2 minutes saying that Canada beat Russia at the Olympics in Torino and then Duhatchek got involved and said that Russia actually beat Canada. To me that illustrates that he has some issues, hopefully with his memory only and nothing else.

xeric716x

Born To Expire
Jun 20, 2006
New Jack City
www.facebook.com
I guess so. I was listening to some Canadian Radio online prior to reading the book and someone said that it was probably some sort of sacrificing. Just ignore it, I have no idea why Dave King even included this into his book. He is a weird dude I think. On the same radio he went for about 2 minutes saying that Canada beat Russia at the Olympics in Torino and then Duhatchek got involved and said that Russia actually beat Canada. To me that illustrates that he has some issues, hopefully with his memory only and nothing else.

yea, i get that sense too from some of the entires he has in the book, alot of them go off into nowhere that dotn really pretain to anything.

Muscle Bob

Aug 7, 2005
Russia
www.russianhockeyfans.com
"I told him, 'At some point in time, you can't let people make you feel guilty about your obligations. You do what you have to do,"' King said. "I think in the end, that was probably one of the factors in my dismissal."
What is he talking about ? The team with champions roster was on the 15th place, what other reasons do you need to fire a coach ?

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
What is he talking about ? The team with champions roster was on the 15th place, what other reasons do you need to fire a coach ?

True, but he was selling the NHL to Malkin, that's for sure and it was one of the factors, Velichkin might be a goof but he is no dumb. I suspect that King also thought that he might follow him too at the end, I know some people recommended that he should have been an assistant coach for the Pittsburgh. At the end of the day he couldn't deliver in Russia and btw I don't remember him mentioning that the team won the championship with the coach who replaced him, perhaps it was too late to add this into the book.

VladNYC*

and btw I don't remember him mentioning that the team won the championship with the coach who replaced him, perhaps it was too late to add this into the book.

From 15th place with King and Malkin to Championship with out both.

OWNED.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad