Dave Hakstol Part VI: I See A Bad Coach And I Want Him Painted Black

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
I'll cosign everyone else saying you're probably wrong, but if you're right we'll throw you a bar mitzvah and mail you a lifetime supply of your favorite tea.

You have a deal. And yes, I'm probably wrong. I'm not under any delusion that I have any influence on these things; that GMs read what I have to say and take heed. Even if my ego wants to believe it to just be a LITTLE bit true, I know better than that; it's simply not true at all. But it does seem like an incredibly obvious time to make a coaching change on a team that needs it. GMs look for good reasons to make big changes. Well, he was just given one tonight.

Obviously we'll see.

Last edited:

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
You have a deal. And yes, I'm probably wrong. I'm not under any delusion that I have any influence on these things; that GMs read what I have to say and take heed. Even if my ego wants to believe it just be a LITTLE bit true, I know better than that; it's simply not true at all. But it does seem like an incredibly obvious time to make a coaching change on a team that needs it. GMs look for good reasons to make big changes. Well, he was just given one tonight.

Obviously we'll see.

Hakstool says hold mah beer...

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
You have a deal. And yes, I'm probably wrong. I'm not under any delusion that I have any influence on these things; that GMs read what I have to say and take heed. Even if my ego wants to believe it to just be a LITTLE bit true, I know better than that; it's simply not true at all. But it does seem like an incredibly obvious time to make a coaching change on a team that needs it. GMs look for good reasons to make big changes. Well, he was just given one tonight.

Obviously we'll see.

I agree and am hopeful. Hakstol survived literally dozens of atrocious losses, whether blown leads or absolute blowouts, under Hextal. He's now coached 4 games under Fletcher (and maybe 5 if you consider the notion that he was the presumptive pick a day or two before the announcement) and he's gone 1-1-2.

The win was a 6-2 game where they came out bad and then scored 6 straight.

The regulation loss was a 7-1 laugher against Winnipeg.

The first OT loss was a game where they played terrible and then got 2 beautiful goals in the last 8 minutes from a talented young defenseman to tie it.

Tonight they played badly (and were outshot basically 2:1) but got some trash goaltending help at the other end and some decent goaltending in their own, only to fall apart in the final period. That talented younge defenseman scored a very nice goal along the way.

In both OT losses, they got at least one goal from Sanheim. In both, he played less than 13 minutes and was the least-used defender they have. In both, they started Couturier/Provorov/Konecny in OT rather than the logical, and often successful, Giroux/Voracek/Gostisbehere trio. In the first one, they allowed the winning goal in 10 seconds. Tonight they lasted 35 seconds.

There's just a pattern of very glaring bad decisions here. Usually with coaching, particularly in a sport like hockey, it's hard to explain the nuanced differences between good and bad coaching to a person who isn't imbued in the game. With these decisions, most 10 year olds would get why they are bad.

It's just bad. It's so bad that you can choose any 5 game stretch this season and see the bad. It's consistently horrible, illogical, stubborn, I-know-I'm-doing-it-my-way-and-I-know-I'm-right-f***-you-and-if-it-fails-I-have-excuses decision making. It's horrible.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
We need to erect this along I-95

F....DAVE HAKSTOK!

middle-finger-salute.jpg

Hakroach

Veteran Presence
Jan 4, 2005
Helsinki
I know that Hakstol has been great at developing our young players and implementing a modern system but after the teams tonight's performance against CGY I have to ask, should we Fire Hakstol? Or should we trade away our so called star players and rebuild the whole team with proper stars. Stars who are heavy and reliable. Stars who can sack up.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
STHs need to collectively write a letter stating they are out if Hak isn't fired now. This has gone too far. Hell write Comcast and tell them to clean house, Homer, Scott, Hak, et al

Reactions: Garbage Goal

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
STHs need to collectively write a letter stating they are out if Hak isn't fired now. This has gone too far. Hell write Comcast and tell them to clean house, Homer, Scott, Hak, et al

I’ve emailed my rep twice this year expressing displeasure with the product.

Can’t wait for the town hall. Honestly, even if Hakstol is still around, I hope they make Holmgren and Scott face the crowd, I would much rather speak to them

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I’ve emailed my rep twice this year expressing displeasure with the product.

Can’t wait for the town hall. Honestly, even if Hakstol is still around, I hope they make Holmgren and Scott face the crowd, I would much rather speak to them
Holmgren's retort to the present spin cycle situation...."whaddaya gonna do" and "it is what it is" but at least he'll say he came up with the name Gritty...

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Here4ThaLids

“Sunshine has always been our enemy.”
Sep 28, 2018
It's just bad. It's so bad that you can choose any 5 game stretch this season and see the bad. It's consistently horrible, illogical, stubborn, I-know-I'm-doing-it-my-way-and-I-know-I'm-right-****-you-and-if-it-fails-I-have-excuses decision making. It's horrible.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that Hak believes what he is doing is right and that the players are failing him instead of the other way around.

Or maybe he's Mortimer Duke and bet Ron-dolph $1 that he could trigger Ghost enough to show up to the team Christmas party with a loaded gun and start shoving salmon into his dirty Santa suit...

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly

That's so strange, because when I watch them play, it seems like they do much better when they're behind and have to score goals to tie the game. They do this weird thing where suddenly guys like Ghost & Sanheim are out there every shift and they start getting creative in the offensive zone. It's almost as if had they played that way the entire game, they would score a lot more goals and spend a lot less time in their own zone. So odd that the numbers seem to suggest exactly the same thing I'm seeing, because NHL Head Coach™ Dave Hakstol is clearly seeing something different, and I'm just some random dude on the internet.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
Good thing is Hak is forcing their hand...if they really wanna be a playoff team this year they need to make the switch soon...hopefully thryre holding out for Q. Honestly though if that's the case, they need to just go the interim route right now.

I just hope Hak goes before a shake up trade.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
There is no reason Knob can’t interim.
Oilers will be tired Tomm after playing Jets tonight and Avs Tuesday. Then a win vs Nucks will be huge.

Let knob unleash the kids, simply just flip Sanheim and Ghost ice time with Farmer and Hogg. Lindblom with Weise.

Note just assuming Haag played more than Ghost

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad