Dave Hakstol Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harhis

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
First of all, I’m not sure Magua’s post was even directed at me, because he asserted that people were comparing Hagg to Sanheim, whereas it seemed to me most of the people doing the comparison were Sanheim apologists making excuses.

Second, I’ve long said I think Sanheim is a more talented player than Hagg. But he hasn’t been better than Hagg over 4 games this season. My only argument is that Hagg, for a #5 defenseman, has given — through 4 games — as much as you could expect for a 5D. If you’re criticizing his play, it reeks of bias. And if you think my argument is poor that Hagg has played well as a fifth defenseman in these four games, you’re definitely influenced by bias.
As I said I didn't say he has been bad. I just said your argument is bad.

Reactions: Striiker

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
As I said I didn't say he has been bad. I just said your argument is bad.
That he’s been an acceptable 5th defenseman? If you agree Hagg hasn’t been bad, & you acknowledge he’s 5th among defensemen in minutes, please tell me how my “argument is bad” when you seem to acknowledge Hagg hasn’t been bad?

Reactions: hatcher

Harhis

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
That he’s been an acceptable 5th defenseman? If you agree Hagg hasn’t been bad, & you acknowledge he’s 5th among defensemen in minutes, please tell me how my “argument is bad” when you seem to acknowledge Hagg hasn’t been bad?
Your argument was that he has 3 points and is +1 after 4 games so he has been good. Those two things really don't tell much about how he has played.

Reactions: Tripod and Striiker

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
I love how people defend Hak by saying the team doesn't have enough talent...yet teams in our division like Columbus, NJ, Carolina, and even the Islanders so far all have less talent than us yet play much better hockey.

Give a good coach G, Couts, Provy, Ghost, Voracek, etc and the results would be remarkable.

That was the whole defense of Stevens too remember. He had a team that won a Calder cup but it wasn't enough. We ended up buying him an even better team and he still sucked. This goes back to the old coaching narrative people love to ignore. A good coach will emphasize the strengths of his players and minimize the weaknesses.

Reactions: Tripod

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Your argument was that he has 3 points and is +1 after 4 games so he has been good. Those two things really don't tell much about how he has played.
My argument was that Hagg has played well as a 5th defenseman in four games. The facts that he has 3 points & is +1 in four games were support for my assertion.

Do you think Hagg has been a bad 5th defenseman over these first 4 games?

Harhis

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
That was the whole defense of Stevens too remember. He had a team that won a Calder cup but it wasn't enough. We ended up buying him an even better team and he still sucked. This goes back to the old coaching narrative people love to ignore. A good coach will emphasize the strengths of his players and minimize the weaknesses.
3 years ago Pens looked like they were middle of the pack team and Crosby was basically done, scoring 60 point pace for half a season. Then Sullivan happened and they won 2 cups.

Harhis

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
My argument was that Hagg has played well as a 5th defenseman in four games. The facts that he has 3 points & is +1 in four games were support for my assertion.

Do you think Hagg has been a bad 5th defenseman over these first 4 games?
No I think he has been fine. I just don't think those 3 points or his +1 stat really tell me much about his play.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Are you suggesting the other players aren’t self motivated

Relative to Provorov? Yes.
Have you seen the description of his off-season workout? Jerry Rice might upchuck.

I'm convinced that he's physically not 100%, he missed two months recovering from his shoulder injury after the season, but there's something off in his game this year, so they may be hiding another injury.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
3 years ago Pens looked like they were middle of the pack team and Crosby was basically done, scoring 60 point pace for half a season. Then Sullivan happened and they won 2 cups.

A lot more than Sullivan happened:

December: traded for Trevor Daley
January: traded Perron for Hagelin
January: promoted Tom Kuhnhackl from AHL
January: promoted Bryan Rust from AHL
January: promoted Conor Sheary from AHL
February: traded 3rd rd pick for Justin Schultz
brought up Matt Murray for the playoffs where he went 15-6 with a .923 S%

Sullivan made a difference, but he didn't adjust to the players, the GM adjusted the players to him.

Harhis

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
A lot more than Sullivan happened:

December: traded for Trevor Daley
January: traded Perron for Hagelin
January: promoted Tom Kuhnhackl from AHL
January: promoted Bryan Rust from AHL
January: promoted Conor Sheary from AHL
February: traded 3rd rd pick for Justin Schultz
brought up Matt Murray for the playoffs where he went 15-6 with a .923 S%

Sullivan made a difference, but he didn't adjust to the players, the GM adjusted the players to him.
Or maybe Sullivan told he wants those players from AHL?

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
No I think he has been fine. I just don't think those 3 points or his +1 stat really tell me much about his play.
So you agree that Hagg has been “fine” as a 5th defenseman, but you think citing 3 points & +1 in 4 games makes the contention you agree with “bad.”

Holy shit.

Harhis

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
So you agree that Hagg has been “fine” as a 5th defenseman, but you think citing 3 points & +1 in 4 games makes the contention you agree with “bad.”

Holy ****.
If you are basing your opinion of him being "fine" for just those two things, then yes I'd say your argument is bad.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
Relative to Provorov? Yes.
Have you seen the description of his off-season workout? Jerry Rice might upchuck.

I'm convinced that he's physically not 100%, he missed two months recovering from his shoulder injury after the season, but there's something off in his game this year, so they may be hiding another injury.
His off season work out is nuts. But the other are too. Especially Giroux. Self motivated has nothing to do with how difficult the work out is.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Anyone notice how suddenly defensive play doesn't matter when judging defensemen and only points and +/- are used?

They'll completely ignore how awful Hagg and MacDonald have been in the D zone, so long as they can point to clearly unsustainable production in a microscopic sample size.

Yikes. The ultra-bias and dishonesty are too much. At this point we're in character flaw territory instead of mere disagreements over hockey. To so easily contradict yourself and be dishonest, over something like this, shows a lack of morals.

Last edited:
Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Anyone notice how suddenly defensive play doesn't matter when judging defensemen and only points and +/- are used?

They'll completely ignore how awful Hagg and MacDonald have been in the D zone, so long as they can point to clearly unsustainable production in a microscopic sample size.

Yikes. The ultra-bias and dishonesty are too much. At this point we're in character flaw territory instead of mere disagreements over hockey. To so easily contradict yourself and be dishonest, over something like this, shows a lack of morals.

I've noticed how when defensive play was good Hakstol got every bit of credit, but now that they're struggling suddenly it's the players fault alone and Hakstol is blameless.

Funny how that works.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Even though it's coaches job to get most out of his players.
Cant get more out of this group. Look at the efforts on forechecks and back checks and board battles HAHAHAHAHAHA. Dont like the coach either but this team doesnt have it.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I've noticed how when defensive play was good Hakstol got every bit of credit, but now that they're struggling suddenly it's the players fault alone and Hakstol is blameless.

Funny how that works.
Yep, it's pretty disgusting, honestly.

It's the same as last year when they had the losing streak. That was all the players fault and you can't blame Hakstol for them not performing... but then they start winning and it's thanks to Hakstol, apparently. Same with TK... when he was buried in the bottom 6 it was all his fault that he was incapable of playing in the top 6... but as soon as he goes on the top line and starts producing like a maniac, it's BECAUSE of Hakstols player development (literally overnight because the previous day he wasn't a top 6 player).

I can't imagine being so biased and dishonest that they contradict themselves so often and so blatantly that every person reading it knows exactly what they're doing... but they do it anyway.

And then accusing others of bias? :laugh: More dishonesty.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

Don't forget breakways against. We heard how Ghost ALWAYS allowed them, yet didn't. Not a peep about guys getting behind AMac....only excuses. "He is working himself back to 100%. He was fine in the 2nd and 3rd period"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad