Boston Globe Dave Goucher made right call in moving to Vegas

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Dave seems very happy. Eric Tosi who used to work for the Bruins told the Vegas owner that Goucher was the perfect man for the job and everything fell into place.

Vegas is now on every hockey fan's bucket list for a road trip.
Making the move to television was a draw, as was being part of Las Vegas’s first major pro sports team. His first season on the job: they went to the Stanley Cup Final. Last year, Vegas had the second-best home attendance in the league, averaging 105.5 percent of capacity. Only Chicago (107.2) had more.

IENLMUXKF4I6TATHRNGBNQO5DA.jpg

Dave Goucher made right call in moving to Vegas - The Boston Globe

He lives in Summerlin, a half-hour northwest of the city, on the border of Red Rock Canyon National Park. It’s also the home of the Knights’ team offices and practice rink.

The Raiders, NFL refugees from Los Angeles, will arrive next year. Given the NFL’s popularity, they will likely to draw a following. But the Knights are, as the billboards here say, Vegas Born. Their early success and boldness, trading for Mark Stone and Max Pacioretty and signing Paul Stastny, has only solidified their standing.

From Summerlin to The Strip, their colors are everywhere, fans local to the area and visiting getting swept up in the fun of a show that makes the T-Mobile Arena neighborhood swell, even on a weeknight.

“You can’t go five minutes without seeing something Golden Knights-related,” Goucher said. “T-shirts, hats, bumper stickers, license plates . . . it’s unbelievable. People I talk to who have been here their whole lives say they’ve wanted their own pro sports franchise for a long time. Now that they have it, they’re all in.”

When Goucher was at home in New England, he decompressed from the frenzy of NHL life by the water. He enjoys a similar peace and tranquility by here, where every evening, the fading silhouette glow of a mountain sunset washes the desert like a tide.

“I like the timelessness of both,” he said. “They’ve been here for thousands of years, before any of us were here, and they’ll be here long after we’re gone.

“I didn’t know it existed until I moved out here.”

Reactions: smithformeragent

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
I do miss him a lot. Definitely would have preferred he stay and give Jack the boot. However on the radio Judd is awesome now. First season he was working out the kinks but he’s got a great voice and really knows the sport.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Much prefer the Vegas broadcast to Boston and it's not particularly close.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Favorite nhl play by play in the league. Best announcer voice in the game.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
His departure to Vegas came after NESN royally screwed up the Don Orsillo/Dave O'Brien situation. So even if the possibility of promoting Goucher and firing Jack existed, they were never going to take that gamble of replacing an entrenched TV personality with a great radio guy who was unproven on TV.

Reactions: GoBs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->