Dave Goucher appreciation thread.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Let's be clear on one thing. The Bruins are certainly sad to see Dave go but he was an employee of CBS Radio and not the team. Dave was well compensated by CBS Radio but he still had to hustle for appearance money on the Sunday night sports TV shows in Boston as does Beers. Dave also was doing college hockey on NBCSN and worked this year's WCF for NBC Sports Radio.

TV is where the big money is and Jack Edwards is not leaving anytime soon. You don't see Jack hustling for work in the off season and is content to spend the summer on his Connecticut farm. He did enjoy doing Little League baseball on NESN until ESPN grabbed the regionals as well.

This is a wonderful opportunity for Dave and the Golden Knights were looking for someone that can help sell the game in Nevada. Dave had to look at the total picture and the uncertainty of who winds up owning WBZ-FM.

The one gigantic perk of being the local radio announcer is you have the chance to give a local voice to calling a championship. Don Orsillo never got that chance with the Sox , Mike Gorman didn't with the Celtics and Jack Edwards didn't with the Bruins - Goucher however gave us one of the greatest calls in Boston sports history.

https://youtu.be/L8vZCGCE-Sk?t=570

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Enjoyed Goucher`s call when I was "working" and couldn`t watch games. Wonder if Reed "3 Amigos" Duthie has submitted his resume?

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Let's be clear on one thing. The Bruins are certainly sad to see Dave go but he was an employee of CBS Radio and not the team. Dave was well compensated by CBS Radio but he still had to hustle for appearance money on the Sunday night sports TV shows in Boston as does Beers. Dave also was doing college hockey on NBCSN and worked this year's WCF for NBC Sports Radio.

TV is where the big money is and Jack Edwards is not leaving anytime soon. You don't see Jack hustling for work in the off season and is content to spend the summer on his Connecticut farm. He did enjoy doing Little League baseball on NESN until ESPN grabbed the regionals as well.

This is a wonderful opportunity for Dave and the Golden Knights were looking for someone that can help sell the game in Nevada. Dave had to look at the total picture and the uncertainty of who winds up owning WBZ-FM.

The one gigantic perk of being the local radio announcer is you have the chance to give a local voice to calling a championship. Don Orsillo never got that chance with the Sox , Mike Gorman didn't with the Celtics and Jack Edwards didn't with the Bruins - Goucher however gave us one of the greatest calls in Boston sports history.

https://youtu.be/L8vZCGCE-Sk?t=570
Never thought about it, that those great announcers were kicked to the curb by the major networks. Emerick is an outstanding announcer, but give me Wacko any day, and not just because he is local.

I have to turn the volume down when ESPN bumps O'Brien on Sox telecasts when it features that softball player doing commentary for Shilling. All in favor of diversity, but I want people who actually know the game and can articulate it.

hoss75

Nov 8, 2008
Cambridge, MA
Both Goucher and Sheriff Shane.. they could make for best duo in the NHL.
Losing Goucher is obviously painful, but I've listened to Shane in broadcasts and really liked him.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Man that sucks. I was hoping he'd get the NESN gig. I don't mind Edwards but Goucher has a better voice for the game.

Best of luck to him.

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Never thought about it, that those great announcers were kicked to the curb by the major networks. Emerick is an outstanding announcer, but give me Wacko any day, and not just because he is local.

I have to turn the volume down when ESPN bumps O'Brien on Sox telecasts when it features that softball player doing commentary for Shilling. All in favor of diversity, but I want people who actually know the game and can articulate it.

Man, that sucks. I was hoping he pulled an OBrien, who I lived on radio and am so happy he's on TV now.

Back in the early 2000's, I would listen to every game driving around in my car in upstate NY in circles as it was the only way to get WBZ.

I like Edwards but think he is much better suited as a national guy where he can tone down the homerism and elaborate euphemisms. Emerick is getting too old. Jack calls a good game, always knows all the players and backgrounds. But, I fell for Goucher's voice a long time ago.

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
I'm a frequent listener to the games on 98.5(in the car and in the kitchen at home) and Dave will be missed. I enjoyed hearing him just about anywhere when the B's were on 1030 AM(i.e., when pulling out of Gutterson Fieldhouse).

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

no one in New England had ever heard of Doc Emrick until 1977, fyi.....and that was because Spectra didn't become a major player either....Remember, folks, CSN Philly was PRISM originally

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Good Luck Dave :handclap:

21586601_10213172984491918_8160234247824153585_o.jpg

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
Dave is one of the best in the business, period. It was a little bit odd listening to him call the WCF on Westwood One last year, because I'm so used to hearing him call Bruins games.

I listen to a lot of broadcasts (as a hack PXP guy myself). Dave is just an incredible listen, and a perfect hockey broadcaster. That said, I think his style is really, really well-suited to TV. This is a great opportunity for him. As an NHL.tv subscriber, I often watch west coast games when going to bed. For the last several years, I've watched Kings games because of Bob Miller (or Canucks games with John Shorthouse, who is also outstanding). I'll likely be watching a lot of VGK games to listen to Goucher & Hnidy.

What I also anticipate is that he'll likely get some national work, especially in the playoffs when local broadcasters aren't able to work beyond Round 1. He's done some work with NBCSN & Westwood One already, so there's some familiarity. I prefer his style to NBC's current #2 Kenny Albert, but I've also been listening to Goucher for years.

BruinsFan64

Sep 17, 2009
It's strange listening to Goucher call the Las Vegas / Vancouver pre season game but he does such a good job.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Nothing Wong with that goal/pbp/color

I`ll be interested in tuning in once the season kicks off to see if part of his responsibilities and the crew he works with will be to educate the viewers about the game?

I remember watching Preds broadcasters for the first few years literally explain the rules of the game as they unfolded during play, having to explain clearly when icing was called precisely what icing was etc...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad