Player Discussion: Dave Christian and Brian Mullen

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Dave Christian and Brian Mullen were 2 of John Furguson's best early year draft picks that both were traded early on in their careers. Dave Christian was dealt for Washington's 1st round pick 14th overall (Bobby Dollas) who was part of a very mediocre draft and Brian Mullen was dealt to the New York Rangers for a 3rd and 5th round draft pick.

What I am curious about is why they were traded? Does anyone have any insight as to why they were actually dealt? I read Dave Christian had a rollercoaster career in Winnipeg and Brian Mullen was from New York. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Money is the answer. The Jets were really cheap back then. Shenkarow couldn't afford to keep too many guys that wanted to much money back then

The 2nd answer was probably Toughness. The Jets got bullied by the Oilers 84/85 and again in 86/87 and I guess they felt they needed to make changes

Reactions: Scheifele55

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Drafting McBain over Cam Neely was one of the most consequential decisions by Jets 1.0.

Starts right with their first pick Jimmy Mann. Next up Goulet, then Kevin Lowe.

2nd round pick was Christian. Players drafted after him were Dale Hunter, Neal Broten, Guy Carbonneau, Mark Messier.

Ferguson wanted toughness. Why else would you trade Dave Babych for Ray Neufeld? We never really had that tough forward, other than Boschman. Our toughest defensemen weren't very good. I agree Neely would have made a difference.

I don't know what the exchange rate was back in the 80s, but two Americans players getting paid in Canadian money, as the American dollar didn't become standard until Bettman, probably wanted to get paid more elsewhere. Christian was a captain here, so he must have been respected by the organization. Went on to make some good hockey sticks. Mullen was probably Hawerchuk's best left winger over his career.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
GM's did some crazy stuff back in the 80s. I mean they still do, but maybe not as often...

PaulPooley

Nov 18, 2018
Pretty sure Mullen was going to be a free agent when they traded a 25 goal scoring winger for picks.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Christian went to work in the family hockey stick business in Warroad . :laugh:

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Dave Christian and Brian Mullen were 2 of John Furguson's best early year draft picks that both were traded early on in their careers. Dave Christian was dealt for Washington's 1st round pick 14th overall (Bobby Dollas) who was part of a very mediocre draft and Brian Mullen was dealt to the New York Rangers for a 3rd and 5th round draft pick.

What I am curious about is why they were traded? Does anyone have any insight as to why they were actually dealt? I read Dave Christian had a rollercoaster career in Winnipeg and Brian Mullen was from New York. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Dave Christian got traded because he wanted nothing to do with playing in Canada.

'At the end of the season, we got rid of our apartment, packed up everything and headed for Minnesota,' said Christian, a member of the gold medal 1980 U.S. Olympic team. 'I wanted to play in the United Stated and I'm tickled to death to be in Washington.'

'Basically, the Canadian tax laws take half of what you make and give nothing back. Then, there's the 20 percent drop in the exchange rate when you come back to this country. Plus, Americans don't have a future after hockey in Canada and that's an important consideration.

'There was no way I would have re-signed with the Jets without going through free agency,' he said. '

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1983/0...son-ended-Dave-Christian-didnt/2619425793600/

Reactions: Scheifele55

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Its funny he talks about taxes because I think the 1986 tax reform bill slashed taxes to the wealthy in the states by a lot back then. They were likely paying higher taxes in the US then Canada back then at least the wealthy were

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
Its funny he talks about taxes because I think the 1986 tax reform bill slashed taxes to the wealthy in the states by a lot back then. They were likely paying higher taxes in the US then Canada back then at least the wealthy were
Weren't Canadian teams paying in CDN dollars in the 80's?

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Weren't Canadian teams paying in CDN dollars in the 80's?

All the way until 1995 Canadian teams paid their players in Canadian dollars. From 1995 until the lockout I believe American players could opt to be paid in whichever currency they wanted. After the lockout it was strictly American dollar as the currency. You can imagine that many an American player would feel disadvantaged earning 65 to 80 cents on an American dollar playing in Canada at any point over his career.

A lot of American players didn't want to play in Canada for this reason, and that didn't change until the lockout.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Money is the answer. The Jets were really cheap back then. Shenkarow couldn't afford to keep too many guys that wanted to much money back then

The 2nd answer was probably Toughness. The Jets got bullied by the Oilers 84/85 and again in 86/87 and I guess they felt they needed to make changes
Fergie traded Christian. He didn't want to be here.
Fergie took all the Christian sticks outta the room. "If he doesn't want to play here, we don't want his sticks"!

As far as Babych goes, he asked for the trade for personal reasons.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Jaytee

Feb 27, 2015
Mullen was a good player, but playing with Dale Hawerchuk made him a 25-30 goal scorer. He was never anywhere that good after he left Winnipeg.

Reactions: The Blue Baron

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Mullen was a good player, but playing with Dale Hawerchuk made him a 25-30 goal scorer. He was never anywhere that good after he left Winnipeg.
Poor drafting and trades made it hard to build a team around Hawerchuk.
They drafted Arneil in the 2nd round after taking Ducky in the 1st.
Kyte was their 1st round pick thenext year although they did get Ellet in the 3rd.
Few of their top draft picks played a lot of games for them while Ducky was here.

Reactions: ocdaddy

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
Kyte was their 1st round pick thenext year although they did get Ellet in the 3rd.
Few of their top draft picks played a lot of games for them while Ducky was here.
They drafted Arneil and Hawerchuk from the same team yet somehow missed Doug Gilmour.

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba

The argument of the Jets taking Scott Arniel I am assuming was supposed to be a bad thing. The problem is that Scott Arniel was the 2nd most offensively productive player taken in rounds 2, 3, 4, 5 in that draft behind only Chris Chelios. Want to see busts... check out 4 rounds of wasted draft choices. What I found amusing was round 4 we took Kurk McCaskill who played 1 year in the AHL and switched over to MLB. In that round we could have picked up a decent goalie in Wendell Young, Clint Malarchuk, and John Vanbiesbrouck. Kind of a good year for goalies because Mike Vernon was also available along with Greg Stefan, Peter Sidorkewicz, and the goalie with the coolest hockey sticker... Kari Takko!

Attachments

• takko80.jpg
    takko80.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 5

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Drafting McBain over Cam Neely was one of the most consequential decisions by Jets 1.0.

The Jets were kind of like the Atlanta Thrashers in that they rushed their 1st rounders to the NHL. Cam Neely didn't crack the 40 point mark until season 4, and he was dealt along with another 1st rounder (Glen Wesley) after season 3. In hindsight we could have also had Claude Lemieux and Rick Tocchet. There would have been our toughness.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
They drafted Arneil and Hawerchuk from the same team yet somehow missed Doug Gilmour.
A few teams missed him...he wasn't picked until the 7th round...the next year...the same year the Jets took Kyte with their 1st pick!
They were drafted a year apart.

Reactions: wgpsensfan
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg

Gilmour was on the same Memorial Cup winning team that Hawerchuk & Arniel played on.

Let's remember Hawerchuk scored 183 points for Cornwall in his draft year. Gilmour tallied 177 points in his draft+1.

Perhaps there were reasons beyond his talent that had him go in the 7th round...

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Gilmour was on the same Memorial Cup winning team that Hawerchuk & Arniel played on.

Let's remember Hawerchuk scored 183 points for Cornwall in his draft year. Gilmour tallied 177 points in his draft+1.

Perhaps there were reasons beyond his talent that had him go in the 7th round

If that was the case, none of them seemed to surface and they were all a bunch of idiots who valued the wrong things. Ferguson being idiot in chief.

Reactions: Jets 31
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
If that was the case, none of them seemed to surface and they were all a bunch of idiots who valued the wrong things. Ferguson being idiot in chief.

Oh they surfaced all right. You really don't know why Gilmour left St. Louis? It was front page news everywhere in 1988. While its true Gilmour was never indicted, mostly due to Jane Doe's family lawyer bungling the case by attempting extortion, a civil suit followed where a settlement was reached.

Following his divorce, Gilmour then went on to date a high school girl when he was 30 year old during his tenure with the Leafs. Sure he'd marry her, but the optics aren't great considering the civil suit & criminal charges just 5 years prior.

Screen Shot 2020-11-10 at 4.07.05 AM.png

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad