TSN: Datsyuk to return to NHL?

AvsFanInMichigan

“Thank you, thank you, thank you!”
Apr 16, 2018
Michigan
Detroit shouldn’t sign him back for a reunion. Would defeat the purpose of their rebuild. They need to play their young kids and move on from signing old veterans.

Reactions: Oates2Neely

Bure80

Jun 27, 2011
I mean, what would he realistically be asking for pay wise?

He's only scoring at .77 points per game on larger ice (more time and space) against an inferior league. this equates to about 63 pts per 82 games

Its a misbelief that players score more on larger ice, because the biggest difference in size is the neutral zone. The contrary is the case.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Good luck with that, Doubt Washington would even have the cap to sign him. Even on a one year deal it's probably still going to be in the neighborhood of $6 to $7 million to sign him.

He's not a 6-7 million player anymore.

But why not, short-term, like with a 1-year contract, you can offer like 12 million if you have the cap space.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Detroit shouldn’t sign him back for a reunion. Would defeat the purpose of their rebuild. They need to play their young kids and move on from signing old veterans.

Realistically he's probably a third liner no matter where he goes, and Holland loves having vets around to mentor the kids.

He'd be salivating at the idea of Datsyuk once again rubbing off on Larkin.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Leafs could use someone to play with their young guys. On a line with Matrhews and Nylander, would be fun as hell.

Flamesjustwin

Oct 8, 2010
London ON
Realistically he's probably a third liner no matter where he goes, and Holland loves having vets around to mentor the kids.

He'd be salivating at the idea of Datsyuk once again rubbing off on Larkin.
Dude, there is no chance if he came back it is to the Wings. They are not contenders any time soon and he don't need the money. If he returns it will be to take another run at a SC.

Reactions: Oates2Neely

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
He probably wants to hit 1000 games

Datsyuk isn't going to come back for such a petty reason. He's not that kind of guy.

View attachment 178917
Sealed with a handshake ;)

Detroit does a great job of keeping team drama outside of the spotlight, but the rumors that Babcock grated on Datsyuk (and others, including Zetterberg) were too loud to ignore by the time Datsyuk left.

No chance. Detroit sucks.

I would guess he’d want a chance to compete for another Cup. His Wings legacy was kinda sorta tarnished when he was moved to the Yotes

I highly doubt Detroit sucking right now is going to impact Datsyuk considering a return there. Reading between the lines, the exodus of talent from the KHL is due to the money drying up first and foremost. Its the "wealthy" well-paying teams in SKA and CSKA that are losing the players and its the highest "paid" KHLers doing the leaving. Winning in the NHL is nice, but so is getting paid fully, on time, in a stable currency without much the pressure of being the star. Especially for a guy who controversially stated that the Olympic gold means more to him than the Stanley Cup.

I suspect Datsyuk would be interested primarily in being a secondary guy while maximizing his money. He's a low maintenance guy without much of an ego but he is on record stating it is his dream to build a hockey complex for kids in Russia. He's held a ton of kids hockey camps both in Michigan and in Russia and loves it. Wouldn't be shocked if a big reason he wants to come back to the NHL is to boost his financial outlook to reach that goal.

From Detroit's perspective, it would be such a huge boon to ticket sales that I bet Illitch would personally encourage a deal and not get caught up in any hard feelings. The Wings PR team has been working overtime to manufacture hype during this rebuild. Detroit has a ton of cap space, a willingness to spend, has no expectations for the upcoming year, and I bet Datsyuk would actually enjoy being the mentor to the young up-and-comers on the team.

Reactions: TML1967

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
The Devils were punished for circumvention because they signed Kovy to a 17 year deal at the age of 27, with the last 6 years only paying out $3.5M of the $102M that the contract paid him. There have been other front loaded contracts where you knew they weren't gonna play out, but that one was far and away the worst. It was painfully obvious they did it specifically to circumvent the cap.

Fast forward a few years, NJD was actually rewarded back their lost pick because Kovy ****ed them over. So realistically if we're suggesting Detroit would be circumventing the cap by Datsyuk leaving in his last year, NJD theoretically was rewarded for similar circumstances.

Difference is, Datsyuk's deal actually still counted against the cap, which is why Detroit traded him to Arizona. They wanted to be rid of the cap hit and Arizona could get $7.5M closer to the floor without actually paying a dime.

Wrong and wrong. Try again.

Huh? So using your logic, if I take my son's cell phone away for bad behavior, and then decide there was some underlying circumstances for his bad behavior and I give him back the thing I took from him, I'm rewarding him? See the second bold. Some twisted logic going on here. :huh::help:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Huh? So using your logic, if I take my son's cell phone away for bad behavior, and then decide there was some underlying circumstances for his bad behavior and I give him back the thing I took from him, I'm rewarding him? See the second bold. Some twisted logic going on here. :huh::help:
The Devils didn't even get their pick back, that's nonsense. We lost our pick and were given 30th overall instead. I don't remember winning the cup the season before.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
It's like every big name Russian player playing in the KHL want to return to the NHL when they need a new contract.

Im not saying it's the case here, but smells like what it usually is - negotiating tactic to get the best deal possible over there. I mean, he'll be 41 years old for crying out loud :laugh:

That said if someone thinks he can be a good 3C for 1 year cup run and pay him good money, who knows.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Its a misbelief that players score more on larger ice, because the biggest difference in size is the neutral zone. The contrary is the case.
That is 100% false so don't get where the misbelief is outside of your own head

It's commonly known NHL ice is 200 ft by 85 feet. Euro or Olympic sized ice is 200 ft by 100 ft. The ice is 15 ft wider over the entire sheet. The offensive own is just shallower and the neutral zone wider in Olympic/euro ice but it's absolutely larger and allows players more time and space to operate with board play and hitting along the boards far less frequent

It's not like they just move the blue lines in euro ice like you suggested

Bure80

Jun 27, 2011
That is 100% false so don't get where the misbelief is outside of your own head

It's commonly known NHL ice is 200 ft by 85 feet. Euro or Olympic sized ice is 200 ft by 100 ft. The ice is 15 ft wider over the entire sheet. The offensive own is just shallower and the neutral zone wider in Olympic/euro ice but it's absolutely larger and allows players more time and space to operate with board play and hitting along the boards far less frequent

It's not like they just move the blue lines in euro ice like you suggested

Sure its larger. But the major difference in size is the neutral zone and the zone behind the goals.
Hockey Rink Diagram. Ice hockey rink diagram.

KasperTheGrittyGhost

Jan 12, 2008
Michigan

Datsyuk feeding Zadina next season would be super fun though. Larkin has a season to ride shotgun with zetterberg, and that did his career wonders. Give Zads the same bump.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
His agent already said it's a return to Detroit, Or not happening. Datsyuk isn't playing for any other organization outside of Detroit.

Stevie Y is going to be back with the Wings this summer. Or pretty much everyone is expecting this to happen. I would say Detroit is going to be a more attractive destination now.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Sure its larger. But the major difference in size is the neutral zone and the zone behind the goals.
Hockey Rink Diagram. Ice hockey rink diagram.
Thats not what you originally said but if you want to change your narrative that's fine.

Also, you keep harping about the length of the zones and that's not the only difference. The rink being wider in all zone drastically changes time and space away from the boards. Way more space to operate east/west all over the ice in ALL zones

This biggest difference is the width of the ice, not the zone sizes

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Stevie Y is going to be back with the Wings this summer. Or pretty much everyone is expecting this to happen. I would say Detroit is going to be a more attractive destination now.
At least we Wing fans are hoping that Stevie Y is our next GM any ways, I know Datsyuk had pretty much mentioned before. That he couldn't see himself playing for any other organization outside of Detroit. Wouldn't be against bringing him back for one more season.

Bure80

Jun 27, 2011
Thats not what you originally said but if you want to change your narrative that's fine.

Also, you keep harping about the length of the zones and that's not the only difference. The rink being wider in all zone drastically changes time and space away from the boards. Way more space to operate east/west all over the ice in ALL zones

This biggest difference is the width of the ice, not the zone sizes

The rink is wider thats right. But for scoring the bigger size of the neutral zone is the most important fact.
For example the average of scored goals in the NHL is 3,06 this season. In the KHL its 2,46 with more space.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->