Datsyuk Going To His Actual Home. In Russia. Finally.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Would be f***ing awesome if we hired Holland and he persuaded Datsyuk to come be the 3c behind the best player in the world and one of Nuge/Leon.

Obv a pipe dream tho. I don't think I could ever see #13 in anything other than the red wheel.

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
Would be ****ing awesome if we hired Holland and he persuaded Datsyuk to come be the 3c behind the best player in the world and one of Nuge/Leon.

Obv a pipe dream tho. I don't think I could ever see #13 in anything other than the red wheel.
McDavid and Datsyuk would make for some sick highlights

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
I said young lady because Yzerman only has daughters...

I am am old enough to remember the early years of the Ilitch family ownership and how far they have come from where the team was before them. How they invested and the culture they built to help all those people be successful. Yes they are more important organizationally than him.

I don't have to tell you who I know in fact the rules preclude it. Do you really think some of us don't know a little inside information? I pointed you to sources by name in any event as I have done numerous times when this has come up that have discussed this on podcasts and in articles. But you want to rant on it and ignore ample evidence.

It isn't just the Ilitch family either, he quit on everyone. But this isn't a very fruitful argument. Saint Datsyuk can stay that way for you, cool story I will go by what I have heard and what I have seen from numerous sources in terms of the awful way he went about his exit. He doesn't deserve to be held with the other greats for me, ultimately it is the Owners call though, perhaps they will give him this honor anyway down the road. I will still disagree then.

If this site is anonymous, and site rules preclude naming sources, then we really shouldn't be using that as a basis for argument. It's anonymous, anyone can say anything. And there are many articles that paint a more sympathetic and thoughtful position from all sides than the one you're portraying.

And I would again argue that Datsyuk is more important. If two parents give a kid a great environment and the kid goes on to cure cancer, the credit for curing cancer goes to the kid. The parents get credit for being good parents, that's it. Same with the Detroit Red Wings, Ilitch may have provided the environment, but it's Datsyuk and his ilk who took the ball and ran. There have been several owners who provided their team with good support and many, if not most of them, go home empty-handed. Look at how the league and fans talk about the Red Wings nowadays. Nothing special to say, if they have anything to say at all. The Wings are a bad team that isn't on anyone's minds. Yet the Ilitches are still around, it's the Datsyuks that aren't. I'm not trying to downplay their importance, the contributions are clear. But it's obvious who is the straw that stirs the drink as far as making a franchise a championship one.

I'm not trying to portray him as St Datsyuk, I've acknowledged he could have handled that situation better. If anyone is trying to push a unidimensional view here, it's you. I've asked several times how this ended up hurting the team and yet to receive an answer. On a team that was going nowhere with or without Pavel, we ended up with 2 prospects instead of one and roughly 7M in free cap space. Ken Holland immediately squandering that space on two over the hill players is not on Datsyuk.

And on the topic of Holland, are we now going to rake him over the coals and redact him from history for signing a contract then skipping town a week later? Datsyuk at least got talked into staying another year...

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
If Dats plays in NHL it will be like 10-12 minutes a game for third line

Just like he started his career.

Devereaux - Datsyuk - Hull.

Two kids and a goat.

How about same again?

Two Kids (Veleno + Zadina) and a goat (Datsyuk).

Veleno - Datsyuk - Zadina

Same process. Hull mentored Pavel how to feed a great goalscorer. Now Pavel could mentor those kids how to become a great goalscorer (Zadina) or two-way master (Veleno).

I don't care about the success. I care about the mentoring process and that information, from one of greatest two-player and playmaker ever, to be tranferred for our next generation player.

Take the torch. Carry the flame. Hope Zetterberg will be on this same process off-ice too.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
I think the issue with Fedorov signing with Carolina was how the deal was set up. It was clearly meant to only screw the Wings because there wasn't a chance in hockey hell that Carolina was going to meet all of the requirements for Fedorov to get the largest possible cash payout for playing a few months. I think Feds got something like $22 million for those few months and playoff of '98. It was a big cash pill for the Wings to swallow.

But by the same token Fedorov was then paid substantially less per year for the rest of that contract.

Personally, not a big problem with that contract but was really ready to just not have the drama that seemed to cloud everything that guy did. Really happy the Wings didn't have his contract around their necks after the first lockout, too.
And Fedorov donated ALL of it to Detroit charities. Sounds like a win-win from both sides. Wings get their best player and Detroit charities got some large donations.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
No thanks to a Datsyuk return. Anyone remember his play his final season here? It was lazy and nonchalant on many nights. Fortunately, when you're one of the smartest and most talented players in hockey, playing at 70% is still better than most players in the league.

Got to move on though.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
No thanks to a Datsyuk return. Anyone remember his play his final season here? It was lazy and nonchalant on many nights. Fortunately, when you're one of the smartest and most talented players in hockey, playing at 70% is still better than most players in the league.

Got to move on though.
I hope your analysis applies to Kronwall as well...

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
I don't see any point other than ticket sales to bring Datsyuk back.
Now I'm not opposed to bringing him back IF he does not have a NTC/NMC.

Forget some farewell tour year and the sentimental crap to boost ticket sales.
If we're out of the hunt for a wild card come the TDL, at least be able to sell him for assets.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008

Got to move on though.
I have never seen Pavel like that. Anyway , He was the best player wings had that year.

Reactions: muchbetterthanlada

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
It'll end up that he's using the RW to get more $$ from Yekat

Maybe. Or it's just his agent creating a false "competition" of his services.

Home-town is a home-town, but I just won't understand why Datsyuk would like to go in a shithole like his home-town. The daughter is there, yes, but he should get his daughter out from there as soon as possible.

Just watched a document about those old Sovjet secret cities, and one City called Ozersk was built for plutonium production to build nuclear weapons. That locates very near of Yekaterinburg, ~100km apart. It's a town between Chelyabinsk and Yekaterinburg. Same distances like Red Deer between Edmonton and Calgary.

'The graveyard of the Earth': inside City 40, Russia's deadly nuclear secret

All those water areas near the city are polluted with radioactive waste, after accidents with radioactive materials 50's and 60's and the radioactive waste is still there in bottom of the lakes. 50% of people there are dying for cancer, wonder why. Those old factories with non-existent waste systems on early nuclear weapon era were just dumping the waste on those rivers which are connected to every lake, and every lake is connected to natural water.

If I could choose, I wouldn't be anywhere near there behind the Ural for doing my work. Especially, if I like fishing. And if my daughter would live on that kind of area, I would be ready to pay at least one million to get her relocated on somewhere else.

Detroit could be the bad American shithole to live, but those Russian cities f***ed with radioactivity or other pollution like Magnitogorsk are 100x worse places, I'd rather maybe die than live on them.

Last edited:

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
It's terrible there are places in the world like that. I don't know much about living in Russia but I do know in China you aren't able to move from where you are born unless you have government permission. I imagine Daytsuk is rich and famous enough to bend the rules but Russia is pretty totalitarian just like China so I am assuming moving around freely is not always an option.

wingfan

Jul 1, 2012
Maybe. Or it's just his agent creating a false "competition" of his services.

Home-town is a home-town, but I just won't understand why Datsyuk would like to go in a ****hole like his home-town. The daughter is there, yes, but he should get his daughter out from there as soon as possible.

Just watched a document about those old Sovjet secret cities, and one City called Ozersk was built for plutonium production to build nuclear weapons. That locates very near of Yekaterinburg, ~100km apart. It's a town between Chelyabinsk and Yekaterinburg. Same distances like Red Deer between Edmonton and Calgary.

'The graveyard of the Earth': inside City 40, Russia's deadly nuclear secret

All those water areas near the city are polluted with radioactive waste, after accidents with radioactive materials 50's and 60's and the radioactive waste is still there in bottom of the lakes. 50% of people there are dying for cancer, wonder why. Those old factories with non-existent waste systems on early nuclear weapon era were just dumping the waste on those rivers which are connected to every lake, and every lake is connected to natural water.

If I could choose, I wouldn't be anywhere near there behind the Ural for doing my work. Especially, if I like fishing. And if my daughter would live on that kind of area, I would be ready to pay at least one million to get her relocated on somewhere else.

Detroit could be the bad American ****hole to live, but those Russian cities ****ed with radioactivity or other pollution like Magnitogorsk are 100x worse places, I'd rather maybe die than live on them.

Also a pretty big misconception. Where Datsyuk's house is/was is one of the wealthiest towns in the US. Downtown/Midtown Detroit is pretty much yuppies/"hip" businesses moving in to "revitalize" Detroit. I live in Grand Rapids(city of 1m people on the other side of Michigan) and it reminds me a lot of Eastown. Eastown used to be ROUGH not even 10 years ago, then yuppies/small businesses and developers took it over, gentrified it and it's now one of the hottest areas in the city to be. Older people still have a preconceived notion that Eastown is not somewhere you want to be at night, much like most of America and the world has with Detroit.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Also a pretty big misconception. Where Datsyuk's house is/was is one of the wealthiest towns in the US. Downtown/Midtown Detroit is pretty much yuppies/"hip" businesses moving in to "revitalize" Detroit. I live in Grand Rapids(city of 1m people on the other side of Michigan) and it reminds me a lot of Eastown. Eastown used to be ROUGH not even 10 years ago, then yuppies/small businesses and developers took it over, gentrified it and it's now one of the hottest areas in the city to be. Older people still have a preconceived notion that Eastown is not somewhere you want to be at night, much like most of America and the world has with Detroit.

Bloomfield Hills is one of the nicest areas in the world. Full stop. That is where Pav lived towards the end of his time in town when he played in Detroit.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
If he did come back to the NHL I would be more interested to see Daytsuk come back on a one year with a contender. Like if Pens clear space with Kessel and signed Dayts to a sweetheart deal. Imagine those highlights assuming Dayts can still keep up with top 6 duties.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad