Data Scrape Needed - CHLStats

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Its really nice these people are creating sites as a springboard to something but its also a little self serving to just say too damn bad to the people who use it once their name gets called.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Its really nice these people are creating sites as a springboard to something but its also a little self serving to just say too damn bad to the people who use it once their name gets called.

Having seen a few contracts of this nature, I wouldn't assume that it's self-serving - I would assume that it's contractually obligated.

Larry Hoover

Sep 16, 2012
Having seen a few contracts of this nature, I wouldn't assume that it's self-serving - I would assume that it's contractually obligated.

I would imagine this to be the case as well.

Now, is anyone able to data scrape?

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
I would imagine this to be the case as well.

Now, is anyone able to data scrape?

I can. Fairly easy to do. Seriously, if all it takes to get a job in the NHL is to get some data from websites and make some easy computations to estimate TOI and so on, I guess I'll be next in line :P

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
I can. Fairly easy to do. Seriously, if all it takes to get a job in the NHL is to get some data from websites and make some easy computations to estimate TOI and so on, I guess I'll be next in line :P

Do it mayne

R S

Sep 18, 2006

How is that self-serving? They put in a bunch of time and effort to make something very useful and functional and get noticed for it, rightfully so. The reason they usually get hired is to provide this type of information for the team they work for, so there's clearly a reason why it needs to be taken down.

I really don't understand how people can have your same sentiment.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba

And yet such simple equations are factually proven to be better decision makers then NHL GMs and scouting departments.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
It is getting annoying the amount of quality sites that are getting taken down. This was also the only site I could find that displayed AHL PP points without having to check game by game stats. Does anyone know of another site that does this?

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I can do it. Does CHL publish play by play data for games? If so, it's pretty easy to extract all the nice advanced stats out of it. I was under the impression that that site had people who were watching the games and manually tracking advanced stats

sfan

Jun 26, 2013
Ottawa
So Mathletic, JetsFan815, others willing and able, you would have the gratitude of many if you could lead the way to building a replacement.

I have an important suggestion though, make it a community/open source/creative commons thing. That way it has a life beyond the interests of any given person or prospective employer.

I can and will help, I'm just not a programmer. Send me a message and lets get it done.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
So Mathletic, JetsFan815, others willing and able, you would have the gratitude of many if you could lead the way to building a replacement.

I have an important suggestion though, make it a community/open source/creative commons thing. That way it has a life beyond the interests of any given person or prospective employer.

I can and will help, I'm just not a programmer. Send me a message and lets get it done.

yeah Larry Hoover sent me a PM and asked me if I could build one. I'm working on it at the moment. Don't have much experience in HTML/CSS/JS and so on but I started learning it last weekend as my exams are now over (planned to learn it anyways).

I may share a dropbox folder or something of the sort before the website is actually done so people could benefit from the data.

I thought about making a more open website dedicated to scouting as you pointed out rather than just sharing stats. I also plan on sharing stats for the USHL, NCAA, European leagues and so on.

Let me know if you have any ideas you'd want me to implement.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
What are the statistics you need? I can make this for you.

Mathletic, I'd look up Bootstrap if I were you. It's a neat framework for making websites. I'm eventually going to redo my website's layout with it.

Also use Github instead of Dropbox to share code as it is the more conventional way to do so.

Last edited:

sfan

Jun 26, 2013
Ottawa
yeah Larry Hoover sent me a PM and asked me if I could build one. I'm working on it at the moment. Don't have much experience in HTML/CSS/JS and so on but I started learning it last weekend as my exams are now over (planned to learn it anyways).

I may share a dropbox folder or something of the sort before the website is actually done so people could benefit from the data.

I thought about making a more open website dedicated to scouting as you pointed out rather than just sharing stats. I also plan on sharing stats for the USHL, NCAA, European leagues and so on.

Let me know if you have any ideas you'd want me to implement.

This is great Mathletic, many thanks!

I agree with Kane One that Github better than Dropbox for hosting the project.

I have some ideas that build on the former CHLStats site but they can wait until you are ready.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
What are the statistics you need? I can make this for you.

Mathletic, I'd look up Bootstrap if I were you. It's a neat framework for making websites. I'm eventually going to redo my website's layout with it.

Also use Github instead of Dropbox to share code as it is the more conventional way to do so.

Okay thanks for Bootstrap, I'll look into it.

The dropbox thing was to share .csv files and so on, not the code.

This is great Mathletic, many thanks!

I agree with Kane One that Github better than Dropbox for hosting the project.

I have some ideas that build on the former CHLStats site but they can wait until you are ready.

Don't worry guys, I have worked plenty with Git already :P

You can share your ideas in this thread if you want to. I'll implement them as I go along.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
How do you calculate advanced stats with that, such as Fenwick?

My guess is they only extrapolated shot stats to make their estimated fenwick. I can't say I ever put much weight in their estimated fenwick stats. I don't think that's something I'll do anyways. I'll probably just stick to the raw shot stats. Besides, it's not like there's that big a difference in predictive value between the 2.

Step7750

Jan 24, 2014
Calgary, Alberta
I'd be happy to assist in a community driven project for CHL stats. I'm a full stack developer that has experience in HTML, CSS, JavaScript (Front end) and Node.JS, PHP, Python etc.. (Back end). I'm quite experienced with data scraping (posted the NHL data sources thread), so I'll look into possible reliable sources for the data. If you'd like to put the project on Github (I have a private account) or something, that's perfectly fine.

Anyhow, if you'd like to work together or make this open source, just let me know.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
I'd be happy to assist in a community driven project for CHL stats. I'm a full stack developer that has experience in HTML, CSS, JavaScript (Front end) and Node.JS, PHP, Python etc.. (Back end). I'm quite experienced with data scraping (posted the NHL data sources thread), so I'll look into possible reliable sources for the data. If you'd like to put the project on Github (I have a private account) or something, that's perfectly fine.

Anyhow, if you'd like to work together or make this open source, just let me know.

I would be interested.

Also, Here is a team based WHLstats site that was launched today.

whlstats.ca

This site is in conjunction with another WHL stats guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->