Data Request Healthy Scratch total by player

morehockeystats

Unusual hockey stats
Dec 13, 2016
Columbus
morehockeystats.com
I’m not sure of your programming experience, but healthy scratches are listed in the roster report for each game.

Playing Roster

You can scrape the data from here.
This is not "healthy scratches" list.
This is "all scratches" list, including those who are injured but not on IR.
There are sites that track current injures, but I am not sure they keep history.

The best source I can think of is NHLInjuryViz (@NHLInjuryViz) | Twitter

Reactions: Pens3peat

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
This is not "healthy scratches" list.
This is "all scratches" list, including those who are injured but not on IR.
There are sites that track current injures, but I am not sure they keep history.

The best source I can think of is NHLInjuryViz (@NHLInjuryViz) | Twitter
Is there an official difference between the two? I always assumed healthy scratches included players who technically aren’t healthy.

Pens3peat

Jun 15, 2017
Appreciate the input. Looks like I will need to do a little work to get the data I want, but I should be able to make it work.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Appreciate the input. Looks like I will need to do a little work to get the data I want, but I should be able to make it work.
Do you have a source for an injured reserve list? If you try to join an occurrence of the player being a scratch to the IR, if there’s no match, he’s a healthy scratch.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Do you have a source for an injured reserve list? If you try to join an occurrence of the player being a scratch to the IR, if there’s no match, he’s a healthy scratch.

I disagree - there are players who are injured but are not sent to the IR. For instance:

Playing Roster

Nikita Zadorov is a scratch tonight with a lower-body injury but the Avalanche have no intentions of putting him on injured reserve.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
NHL does not force teams to release players health

several times a year a player gets scratched because he is beaten up but the team says he is a healthy scratch

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
I disagree - there are players who are injured but are not sent to the IR. For instance:

Playing Roster

Nikita Zadorov is a scratch tonight with a lower-body injury but the Avalanche have no intentions of putting him on injured reserve.
Crap, that’s my mistake. The post of mine you quoted still leaves the OP with the same problem.

But this now goes back to my last question, which is, “what is a healthy scratch?” Does the NHL have a definition of one or is every scratched player, by NHL definition, healthy?

Reactions: Doctor No

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Nah, no standard that I'm aware of - it would be difficult to implement anyhow, because it doesn't affect the game outcome (the player is scratched regardless) and it doesn't affect the gamblers.

Reactions: Kane One

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad